Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
    Interesting, but I have discovered that what one "believes" and what can be proven is often three different things.

Logic tells me that IF I can ignite every grain of powder at a nearly identical time AND I have the same amount of powder and the bullet release force is equal then the pressure should be the same, varying only by the difference of the load in the primer.
    The problem occurs when the primer is hot enough to unseat the bullet prior to getting the powder properly ignited. There is a surprising amount of power in a primer. For example I shoot glue stick bullets in 45 ACP. Using just a primer I get 450 fps. The Aquilla super colibri 22 LR bullets get 500 fps with only a primer. It's all a matter of timing and balance.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
    Again, I'm simply repeating the mantra. When it comes to offhand shooting you have to be pretty good for this stuff to make much of a difference in your score.
    Let me help: When it comes to offhand shooting, you'd have to be nearly perfect for it to make a difference.

In truth, I don't know a single person who is capable of shooting as well as their gun. The human factor is going to contritube WAY more to someone's score than shaking their gun back and forth. What a bunch of hooey.

I am a Forum User
    I've tried it with 45 Colt using small volume powder, and all my stuff fires the same without doing it through the crony. Tipping the gun up to set the powder is old school backyard ******** using old school components.

I am a Forum User
    Without having any knowledge of how the controlled explosion really works, I could be talked into uneven forces being applied to the bullet base with it wanting to start wobbling. I'd imagine it would not take very long for it to stabilize in the barrel. Some reloaders absolutely swear by concave bullet bases for higher accuracy. I know my ability to shoot is far far less then the bullet or guns capabilities

I am a Forum User
    I have been shooting for 50+ years and have never, ever seen anyone do this...

I am a Forum User
    I used to load real light 148 WC loads with WW231; got a lot of unburned powder flakes jamming under the star extractor during ejection and then binding the cylinder after reloading.
    Switched to WST and have never had an issue again. [All with Federal small pistol std primers.]
    I load down to 1.6 gr for short line loads; no need to monkey with fillers or shaking; all my loads are 'X ring' capable.
    Its all in the load development - never should be a need to mechanically manipluate the gun/cartridge for good ignition.

MGO Member
    In 22 benchrest shooting there is, at times, a movement to place the firing pin at 6 oclock instead of 12. Theory is the it will then start the primer closer to the powder which will be on the bottom of the round.

If tried to piont the bullet up, before loading each round to do somewhat the same thing. Any difference?? I cant say.

I am a Forum User

We do not like to see that in our league either

In our winter indoor bullseye league, all the range officers watch for the guy pointing the gun to the ceiling and ask them to refrain. Most of the ranges have signs that say " As of March 1, 2014, we have 7 holes in the ceiling. Please do not put the eighth one in."

Its tuff cause back in the prehistoric caveman times, when we had to club our terridyactle before collecting it for dinner, we raised our club over our head and brought it down to the target. Today, its in our DNA to point our weapon at the sky and bring it down to the target which does not work when shooting firearms at indoor ranges.

Its a difficult habit to get out of. Most shooters I have talked with understand and make a conscious effort to keep their muzzle down range during matches.

Regards,
    Cranky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12