Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Manufacturing a jam for practice clearing it?

Hey all,

So my GF and I are both relative firearm novices. I bought Snap Caps for all of our various chamberings (12ga, 5.56 and 9mm). One thing that I would really like for both of us to practice is how to properly clear jams. Is there a good way to reproduce a jam with Snap Caps to then practice clearing them?

We'd specifically be using the following firearm makes/models:
    - AR-15's (DPMS and Bushmaster if it matters, but I assume it wouldn't)
    - Beretta AL391 Urika
    - Mossberg 500's
    - S&W M&P 9c

Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Depends on what kind of failure you're wanting to induce.

If you're doing live fire and want to introduce a failure to fire, load each others mags and slip a snap cap or two somewhere in the mag.
    When the snap cap fails to fire run the "tap rack bang" drill.

You can also put a snap cap in backward (not with the shotgun though) and it will introduce a failure to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by pyzik View Post
    Depends on what kind of failure you're wanting to induce.

If you're doing live fire and want to introduce a failure to fire, load each others mags and slip a snap cap or two somewhere in the mag.
    When the snap cap fails to fire run the "tap rack bang" drill.

You can also put a snap cap in backward (not with the shotgun though) and it will introduce a failure to feed.
    Thanks!

When you say to put the Snap Cap in backwards, do you mean directly into the chamber or fed from a magazine where it was loaded into the magazine backwards?

I am a Forum User
    Load it into the magazine backward.

That'll make the gun do all kinds of fun stuff (without hurting the gun, typically snap caps are softer than the slide, bolt and/or chamber).

You're welcome.

It's tapatalk's fault.

Spent brass works better than snap caps if you really wanna *** your gun up.. Great training aid.
    Downriver Minister of Misinformation.

I am a Forum User
    can also close your slide on one sticking out the top or side to simulate a stove-pipe and clearing those, but most of these drills can be done with spent brass as thatguy said.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyComrade View Post
    Hey all,

So my GF and I are both relative firearm novices. I bought Snap Caps for all of our various chamberings (12ga, 5.56 and 9mm). One thing that I would really like for both of us to practice is how to properly clear jams. Is there a good way to reproduce a jam with Snap Caps to then practice clearing them?

We'd specifically be using the following firearm makes/models:
    - AR-15's (DPMS and Bushmaster if it matters, but I assume it wouldn't)
    - Beretta AL391 Urika
    - Mossberg 500's
    - S&W M&P 9c

Thanks!
    Good job going after tough issues like malfunction clearing. Get used to moving and shooting as well. (Go slow tho. Leave the range with the same number of holes you started with)

PS you'll appreciate running the full size floorplates on the m&pc the first time you attempt a one handed doublefeed.

I am a Forum User
    Just run some bulk UMC ammo, the jams will come every which way.

MGO Member
    snap caps or dummy rounds (if you reload) are great training aids, just make sure to make the a bright color so you can easily find them when you eject them to god knows were when your doing your drills.

I am a Forum User
    Next time you are at the range pick up some wrong size brass (different caliber) and you will get some interesting jams. Best part is the brass is soft and will deform not hurting the weapon.