Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MGO Member

M&P Sport AR15 vs PSA Mid Length

So I bought the Sport about 6 months ago because the money spent on it created the least amount of discussion with my wife. Even though I wanted the dust cover and fa, not because of function, more like cool tires and racing stripes added to a car look cool, and I admit I like eye candy.

So I bought the sport, put a B5 keymod hand guard on it, put a B5 stock on it, put a Blackhawk Ergo grip on it, a FAB magwell grip, installed a Geissele 2 stage trigger (nice), Redfield Revenge Optic, and shot the hell out of it. Very accurate. Extremely accurate.

I still coveted the dust cover and fa.

I sold a pistol, took the funds and bought a PSA mid length upper, a matching lower, put a CMC flat trigger in it (nice too), a FAB magwell grip, Blackhawk Ergo grip, a magpul mid handguard, a CAA extended cheekweld, a Nikon ProStaff 4x12x44, and shot the hell out of it.

And much to my dissapointment, the Sport shoots much tighter groups than the PSA. I swapped uppers and lowers to see if it's the trigger or me, and the Sport still shoots better.

So now I have to admit and accept the fact that I'm going to live without the dust cover and fa in favor of the much better shooting gun.

Somehow, I feel like the need for the dust cover and fa has passed, and I am much happier with the Sport now, because I have successfully proven to myself that in spite of dust cover and fa envy, this is an awesome weapon, with no apologies necessary to me, or anybody else who doesn't get it.

I transferred the better optic to the sport, and am putting the PSA up for sale. I'm going to spend the rest of my time shooting the Sport, which looks pretty cool btw in it's own right with the mods I've done.

It isn't just live and learn, it's live and learn that a great shooting gun should be enough, and the eye candy is cool, but shouldn't cause me to choose an inferior weapon over a superior one because it might have a higher "coolness" quotient. At my age, you'd think I'd know better. And I do, but still succumbed.

Screw the reviews on line comparing the PSA to the Sport. I'm willing to bet that the opinions from these online reviews are submitted by jaded owners who will defend their purchase decisions and have never ever made side by side range comparisons like I have. And I've shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds before I allowed myself to see the truth, because I didn't want to see it either.

Lesson learned.
    Last edited by telephoneman; 05-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Account Closed Forum User
    Whatever works for you is what's important. I just ordered a PSA CHF upper. I found the CHF barrels to be accurate enough for plinking. I'm putting a 3 - 9 x 40 on a 20" CHF to see just how accurate.

Have you checked the barrel nut for proper torque? Sometimes the QC leaves something to be desired at PSA.I've found that PSA/FN barrels don't usually fit well into PSA upper receivers,where DD barrels and Stag upper's almost have an interfernce fit,as well as Spikes barrels and uppers.

Do you have the melonite barrel in the Smith ? What twist?
    And what PSA barrel?They sell PTAC,Wilson?,FN in CHF and Chrome Lined and FreeDom barrels now

I want a FA and dust cover myself,and if you want one,just swap out the upper receivers . Or buy a different Upper Receiver and install it on the Smith,then sell off the Sport Receiver

And you are right in thinking that jaded owners will defend their purchase to the end

Also what ammunition are you using? Factory or reloads ?Bullet type and weight?That may be the reason behind the accuracy issues>

MGO Member
    Everything is the same for comparison purposes. Ammo is hornady 55 gr bt. S&W is melonite 1 in 9. PSA is chrome 1 in 7 FN. PSA shoots great at 50 yds. S&W shoots better at 50 yds. Often going through the same hole. At 100 yds, the difference is more pronounced. PSA shoots 2" -3" groups at 100 yds. S&W shoots 1". I'm not saying the PSA isn't accurate. Didn't mean to imply that. I'm just saying the S&W is better. Some people wouldn't care about the accuracy issue as it isn't enormous, but why would I choose a gun that is less accurate, no matter how minor the difference?

It's made me love and appreciate my Sport
    Last edited by telephoneman; 05-17-2014 at 08:31 AM.

Generally speaking a 55 gr FMJ will shoot better in a 1 in 9 twist than in a 1 in 7 twist.
    Add that the melonite is typically more accurate than chrome lined.

BTW,I've only been into AR's since June so I'm no expert, but I'm on number 10 already.
    I've had 2 melonite type barrels,1 4140,1 chrome lined and 6 CHF barrels with another one on the way

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-handle-1.html

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by telephoneman View Post
    Everything is the same for comparison purposes. Ammo is hornady 55 gr bt. S&W is melonite 1 in 9. PSA is chrome 1 in 7 FN. PSA shoots great at 50 yds. S&W shoots better at 50 yds. Often going through the same hole. At 100 yds, the difference is more pronounced. PSA shoots 2" -3" groups at 100 yds. S&W shoots 1". I'm not saying the PSA isn't accurate. Didn't mean to imply that. I'm just saying the S&W is better. Some people wouldn't care about the accuracy issue as it isn't enormous, but why would I choose a gun that is less accurate, no matter how minor the difference?

It's made me love and appreciate my Sport
    It's not really a fair comparison then. Your barrel is made to shoot the light stuff better. I bet your mp sport would hold tighter groups than my Daniel defense. Does that make it a better rifle? No. If your intended purpose for buying these rifles was for printing small groups, you should have gone with a 20 inch upper.

The mp sport is a good rifle, but I would take the psa all day long over it.

You should buy some heavier bullets and check the results then.

I'm putting a lo pro gas block,MOE HG's a M223 mount and 3 -9 x 40 scope on a 20" CHF upper after lunch.

MGO Member
    I ran some 62 gr bullets through it. No improvement. Also, I can't use it for hd because I live in a condo. I don't want it for the end of the world scenario as I don't subscribe to that philosophy. So yes, shooting at the range is my primary use of the weapon. YMMV.
    Last edited by telephoneman; 05-18-2014 at 06:06 PM.

That Sport just might shoot some 69 gr Sierra Match Kings well.

MGO Member

18 shots at 50 yds. the flyer was the range officer who wanted to shoot the gun

define better
    Last edited by telephoneman; 05-18-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast