Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

ATF 5320.20 Form- Transport NFA items Interstate Tips to complete Form

https://www.atf.gov/files/forms/down...-f-5320-20.pdf

Now that we have SBR's, if you are planning a trip out of state and taking your SBR's or other NFA items (excluding suppressors), you need to get approval from the ATF using form 5320.20. here are some tips to help fill the form;

#1; If you have a trust for your NFA items, the trust name goes here, if not, your name.

#2: mark yes unless you plan on leaving the item at your destination.

#3: Important ATF will allow up to one year. (Ex: from 10-04-2014 to 10-03-2015) Then about 1 month prior to expiration, fill out another form for the next year and by time the expiration date arrives, you'll have your new approval for another year.

#4: name of the manufacturer as named on your form 1.

(serviceable) if the weapon is functionable enter yes, if not, enter no.

#5: Important This is what I entered on my form; Sport Shooting, Training, Lawful Hunting, All Lawful Purposes (If you are permanently or temporarily moving, enter moving to new residence).

#6: Location where NFA items are stored.

#7: Destination address. This can be a hotel, residence, or training venue, but be specific with the address.

#8: I entered Private Vehicles or Air Travel. Others have also entered Bus, Train, or other public and private conveyances just to cover everything.

#9 through #11 is if being exported out of the country.

#12 If a trust is named in #1, the Trustee would sign their name and add Trustee after the name. If no trust, the owner signs his/her name.

Mail it to the ATF at the listed address. In an emergency situation, you can call the ATF and they will give you a fax number to fax your application in, but they will mail it back by snail mail.

* Each destination requires a separate form and you can submit as many as you want.

*If you are outside of a "reasonable distance" from your direct path. In other words, lets say you are driving from Detroit to Orlando taking I-75 and your cousin Bob, who you want to visit, lives 140 miles west of I-75 in Somewhere Tn. That would be outside of of "reasonable distance" so a 5320.20 would be needed. But if Bob lived 15 or so miles from the direct route, that would be "reasonable distance".

What I did, was submit a form to a friend or relative's address in each state I would possibly be visiting during the year just to cover all bases. All of my forms were approved.

Note: Each form submitted must be done in duplicate with an original ink signature on each. You will be mailed back one copy of each form submitted
    Last edited by Sticks; 08-01-2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Add Note.

I am a Forum User
    Nice write up, this should be a sticky

I am a Forum User
    #7 on All of my 5320.20's list an address and "Other places within the state."

All of mine have been approved without issue.

How long does it usually take to get the form back?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claybuster View Post
    How long does it usually take to get the form back?
    I've been filing them for a decade or better. In that time I've had them take anywhere from 10 days to 6+ months.

At the start of this year, it was around 90 days. More recently I got one back in about 3 weeks. I sent in one for SBRs to Illinois a few weeks ago and haven't seen it yet.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by rjrivero View Post
    #7 on All of my 5320.20's list an address and "Other places within the state."

All of mine have been approved without issue.
    Sorry for digging this one back up. I wanted to add to the record that my latest 5320.20, which was submitted March 2015 to bring an SBR to Wisconsin, was just rejected because I added "other places within the state." Attached note stated "If you want to possess your NFA items in other places, you will need to submit a new 5320.20 for EACH location you want to possess the item(s) at."

Hodge

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    Stickied
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgegoblin View Post
    Sorry for digging this one back up. I wanted to add to the record that my latest 5320.20, which was submitted March 2015 to bring an SBR to Wisconsin, was just rejected because I added "other places within the state." Attached note stated "If you want to possess your NFA items in other places, you will need to submit a new 5320.20 for EACH location you want to possess the item(s) at."

Hodge
    Interesting. I submitted mine for the new year so I guess we will see what they say.

I am a Forum User
    I also put "other places within the state" when I sent my 5320.20 for Knob Creek for 2015 and it was rejected - I had to resubmit it with a single address

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgegoblin View Post
    Attached note stated "If you want to possess your NFA items in other places, you will need to submit a new 5320.20 for EACH location you want to possess the item(s) at."
    I suspect if you were to send in 50 forms for different addresses, all within the same state, they would quickly send you a note indicating 49 of the forms were unnecessary. (No, I don't suggest you actually do that).

Keep in mind, the Federal Government has authority to regulate interstate commerce. ATF may request multiple forms, but they can't require it of you. They do not have the authority to regulate transport within any single state. So once you have the form approving your interstate transport into that state, you can roam at will until you want to cross into another state. (State restrictions may still apply.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast