Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Why does 33 DB reduction + 22 DB reduction = 38 DB reduction not 55 DB reduction. I wear plugs and muffs and it really muffles everything. if it was only reducing 38 DB I probably couldn't even stand to be at an inside range.

Quote Originally Posted by kryl View Post
    Why does 33 DB reduction + 22 DB reduction = 38 DB reduction not 55 DB reduction. I wear plugs and muffs and it really muffles everything. if it was only reducing 38 DB I probably couldn't even stand to be at an inside range.
    Because the dB scale is a logarithmic scale and the sum is not linear like in other scales.

https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/db-calculator.asp

And in the example used 33dB + 22dB = 33.3dB not 38dB.

Yet that isn't the real answer to the question either. the reduction is actually a ratio of the sound pressure wave before to after the restriction of the wave. The second resistance the wave encounters will have a greater effect on the wave, because the wave has already been reduced.

Those are each calculated as ratios of a measured pressure to the lowest that can be heard.

The dynamic range of human hearing and sound intensity spans from 10-12 W/m2 to 10 - 100 W/m2. The highest sound intensity possible to hear is 10,000,000,000,000 times as loud as the quietest!

This span makes absolute values for sound intensity impractical in normal use. A more convenient way to express sound intensity is the relative logarithmic decibel scale with reference to the lowest human hearable sound - 10-12 W/m2 (0 dB).

Note! In US the reference 10-13 watts/m2 is commonly used.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    Because the dB scale is a logarithmic scale and the sum is not linear like in other scales.

https://www.noisemeters.com/apps/db-calculator.asp

And in the example used 33dB + 22dB = 33.3dB not 38dB.

Yet that isn't the real answer to the question either. the reduction is actually a ratio of the sound pressure wave before to after the restriction of the wave. The second resistance the wave encounters will have a greater effect on the wave, because the wave has already been reduced.

Those are each calculated as ratios of a measured pressure to the lowest that can be heard.

The dynamic range of human hearing and sound intensity spans from 10-12 W/m2 to 10 - 100 W/m2. The highest sound intensity possible to hear is 10,000,000,000,000 times as loud as the quietest!

This span makes absolute values for sound intensity impractical in normal use. A more convenient way to express sound intensity is the relative logarithmic decibel scale with reference to the lowest human hearable sound - 10-12 W/m2 (0 dB).

Note! In US the reference 10-13 watts/m2 is commonly used.
    Thanks

I learn more on the web than I ever want to know but I am going to study your answer RB. Maybe then I will get it.

Now HTF do I get rid of Everytab in Chrome? It isn't listed in extensions. Maybe Malwarebytes?

I am a Forum User
    Acoustics and sound are very complicated subjects. It's very difficult to easily explained all that stuff. I'm using very basic information gathered from a bunch of different sources to roughly value the differences between db levels and and roughly what to be thinking about when you're trying to offset higher-end gun fire db levels. I think a lot of people are way under protected in many situations when they're wearing what they think is adequate hearing protection.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345