Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Account Closed
    Not to mention the lead, and mercury, in amalgam tooth fillings!

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-1911 View Post
    Wow, wonder how my two boys grew up normal, and healthy!
    Me to.

We used to play w/ mercury (eek, eek) in high school study hall.

Today the school would be evacuated for 2 or 3 days and the hazmat teams would enter in their moon suits., Cost $$$thousands/occurance.

When in college wed go to the armory rifle range and eat lunch. Then attend classes for 2 or 3 hours and work till 7 or 8 PM.

Never wash hands or changed clothes after the range..

Account Closed
    Common sense, makes sense. But like any "environmental" issues, people go to extremes!

I am a Forum User
    Generally speaking, bulk metallic (elemental) lead is not as hazardous as its popular reputation would suggest. But there are specific cases, such as infants, young children, and some lead compounds which do warrant real concern. Most cases of lead poisoning are not related to firearms or lead paint. Rather it is caused by exposure to soil contamination from years of using tetraethyl lead containing motor vehicle fuels. Crappy Chinese jewelry and toys are often made from, or finished with lead, cadmium or worse - and are another major source of infant/child toxic metal burdens.

Lead burden is usually expressed as micrograms per liter of blood, or kilogram of weight - usually stated as parts per million 'PPM'.. Infants and small children just do not have much blood or weight, so they have a much higher lead burden than older, larger children and adults after any given exposure. There is also a lot of evidence that the neurotoxicity of lead diminishes markedly with age, with the very youngest most severely harmed. So lead exposure as a teenager cannot really be compared to lead exposure as an infant.

Metallic lead is not a very effective poison when ingested orally. Lead has a high degree of corrosion resistance to water, saliva, and hydrochloric acid (in the stomach). This distinguishes lead from mercury and cadmium, which readily form extremely toxic chlorides in the stomach. Lead particles get scoured out of the GI tract by fiber particles and excreted. But infants and young children have little fiber in their diets ("I hate vegetables"), so lead particle residence in their GI tracts is much longer. More opportunity for lead to be absorbed by their systems. And infants seem to put everything in their mouths; some kind of test for edibility?

So there are grounds for concern - not panic - over lead from all sources around young children and infants. It doesn't take much effort to exercise a little hygiene when using lead. There are grounds to get excited over cadmium and mercury, which are far more toxic to all humans regardless of age.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
    When I was a kid we bought cheap bulk pellets for our pellet guns. I "hunted" nearly every day from age 6 to 16 unless the temps dipped below 40 degrees. My brother and I both found that the best place to carry pellets and access them quickly was in our cheek. I would put 20 or so pellets in my cheek every single day. I was smart enough to start college at age 14. I took college level genetics and statistics and passed both without cracking a book at 14. If only I hadn't gotten lead poisoning I may have ruled the world. I'm not saying it is harmless but it it isn't going to turn a normal kid into the dueling banjo kid from Deliverance.
    This is funny.
    My kids have heard me say 1000 times "Man! If only I hadn't played with mercury as a kid, I'd be Einstein!"
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-1911 View Post
    Common sense, makes sense. But like any "environmental" issues, people go to extremes!
    Over protection, hand sanitizers used repeatedly throughout the day, overloading kids on supplemental vitamins, apply gallons of sunscreen several time per day, making sure kids are in the protected bubble at all times.

Kids are adults in training they are designed to get everyday bumps, scrapes, common colds, minor infections, an occasional sunburn and bug bites. Without first hand knowledge of how these things work and what to do where will they be left when the overprotective parents are not there?

No I don't suggest giving your child the experience of rat poison or the sudden stop after jumping off a bridge. I do suggest that we all look back and try to remember what did and did not hurt us and proceed accordingly. Remember a few years ago bacon was going to kill us all and if you fried a hamburger too fast cancer was a certainty?

MGO Member
    When in college we went to the ROTC range and ate lunch couple times/week. Now I find out that you should change clothing after visiting the range. I don't believe we even washed our hands before lunch and went to a job after classes till 7 or 8 PM.

Maybe that is why it took me so long to graduate..

And worse than that we played w/ mercury in study hall in high school. Today that would warrant closing the school for couple days, a visit from the men in space suits to clean it up, and a bill for about 25-30 thousand bucks.

I know this is an old thread but.... Anyone here have their blood checked for lead. If so, what were your numbers?

MGO Member Forum User
    I reload. I cast bullets. I refine/recycle lead, I shoot regularly. I take very basic precautions like hand washing. I got tested. Better than average.

Hand washing and change your clothes after heavy exposure. Worth paying attention and taking basic precautions. Not worth freaking out about. I don't have babies in the house. I would take it up a notch or two if I did.

I am a Forum User
    WOW a two year old post dug up and replied to!! WHY?

But ok being as I read all the posts before I realized it was two years old and no one mentioned all the other heavy metals you are exposed to from shooting.

There is a lot more than just lead to worry about.

Airborne Heavy Metals at Gun Shooting Ranges

http://annhyg.oxfordjournals.org/con...expansion.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12