Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Post gun range, chemicals and elements on body and clothing.. around infants

I have a new born son that is just coming to his 5th month.

After firing off a few hundred rounds today and I came back to my house..

My concern and question is this..

Assuming it's an indoor range, what is on my hands, my clothing, in my hair from the ammo and the shooting..

I'm assuming lead, but what other things should I be aware of and concerned with..

I am a Forum User
    The major contamination route from the lead aerosols you are exposed to at an indoor range into your house are your shoes. They are exposed to much higher levels of lead at the range and, if you wear the shoes into your house, they deposit the lead aerosols on the flooring in your house. This is, of course, the domain of your typical rug rat. Strip you outer clothing and shoes in the garage before you enter your house. Clothing is typically contaminated at a PPM level after a visit to an indoor range, but shoes can carry percentage levels of lead. If you are a regular visitor to indoor ranges, you might also consider temporary seat and floor coverings for your vehicle.

The Seattle Times recently had a good two part series on lead contamination of workers at indoor shooting facilities:

http://projects.seattletimes.com/201...d-with-lead/1/

Well worth a read.

Gun cleaning is a lot less toxic today than it was 30 years ago. If you confine your cleaning agents to water based compositions, you can be fairly well assured that they will not be adversely affecting your son. You can confirm this by doing a little online research and collecting the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for your cleaning agents. You can typically download MSDSs from the manufacturers' websites. A number of companies make adapters which allow you to fit empty PET beverage bottles on the end of a rifle barrel when you are brushing a bore to suppress aerosol discharge when the brush breaks out of the bore. Good ventilation of your cleaning area is always beneficial.

Rust inhibiting oils are a little more problematical, but again an MSDS search can find the agents least likely to affect your son. As a general rule, wax-based inhibitors and lubes are less volatile, and hence safer, than oil based inhibitors and lubes. Silicones are generally volatile and their bioeffects are disputed - some evidence of adverse effects upon male sexual development exists because they can mimic hormones. Best to avoid the use of silicone compounds, and this applies to other household silicone compounds as well. Remember that nothing is absolutely safe, many of the cleaners and fuels your son is exposed to on a daily basis also carry their own risks.

Gun cleaning patches should be disposed of carefully. A PET ice tea bottle is a good receptacle for spent patches. Lay down newspapers on your cleaning bench and dispose of the top layer after every cleaning session.

I am a Forum User
    I'm sure there's all kinds of things. Especially in the hair, now that you've said it.

I've got a 3 month old, and I'm paranoid touching her simply after I've loaded my mags. And with the hair... If you're anything like me, after being away from your little bundle of joy. You want to pick them up and hold them. Well... Where is the first place they bury their face..... The hair and neck area....

I am a Forum User
    This is the perfect response.. I've decided to move my gun cleaning care location outside to the garage now after reading that.. I'm also putting my gun range shoes out there.. Thankfully we don't wear shoes in the house, but reading this does pretty much confirm what I already suspected..

I am a Forum User
    MODS..

Not sure if this is sticky worthy or not..

But and MSDS sheet on Guns wouldn't be bad information..

Account Closed
    Wow, wonder how my two boys grew up normal, and healthy!

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MI-1911 View Post
    Wow, wonder how my two boys grew up normal, and healthy!
    I know what your saying but there is nothing wrong with minimizing bad stuff that can harm your child

I am 45 I grew up normal and healthy despite being in the era when lead paint was OK asbestos was used widely and it was OK and normal to smoke in the house and car with children, doesn't mean those things shouldn't be worried about now

Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I know what your saying but there is nothing wrong with minimizing bad stuff that can harm your child

I am 45 I grew up normal and healthy despite being in the era when lead paint was OK asbestos was used widely and it was OK and normal to smoke in the house and car with children, doesn't mean those things shouldn't be worried about now
    I'm not disagreeing. But it made me think back when no one thought about any of those things! I used to cast lead bullets in a spare bedroom. I reloaded, in the same room. I cleaned my guns in a small tub of Trichloroethylene! We set up a shooting range in my buddies basement, and shot everything from .22LR to .30-06, and 12ga shotguns!

I am a Forum User
    I don't mean to start a panic but yeah it did dawn on me last night as I was walking in the door.. my first instinct is to grab my son..

Then I started to think about the fact I cleaned my guns on a gun make on the counter.. and the chemicals and rags..

So I realized that I wasn't doing my part to keep the house clean..

I am a Forum User
    When I was a kid we bought cheap bulk pellets for our pellet guns. I "hunted" nearly every day from age 6 to 16 unless the temps dipped below 40 degrees. My brother and I both found that the best place to carry pellets and access them quickly was in our cheek. I would put 20 or so pellets in my cheek every single day. I was smart enough to start college at age 14. I took college level genetics and statistics and passed both without cracking a book at 14. If only I hadn't gotten lead poisoning I may have ruled the world. I'm not saying it is harmless but it it isn't going to turn a normal kid into the dueling banjo kid from Deliverance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast