Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

PPQ M2 Navy VS VP9 VS G19 (Gen 3)

Conditions of the weapons:

VP9: Only add on's were factory Night sights

PPQ M2 Navy: Only add on's were Trijicon Night sights, Factory Threaded Barrel

G19: #3.5 connector, Extended Mag release, Extended Slide release, Trijicon Night sights, Stainless Steel Guide Rod

To summarize everything:

Shooters: Myself and My Father.. Neither of us are professionals,Both of our experiences are limited to our CPL courses and a 2 defensive pistol courses.. And several thousand rounds of indoor and outdoor shooting

Range Target Sports Royal Oak..

Accuracy: Most accurate PPQ M2 Navy, Least accurate G19, but this is splitting hairs. The only reason I am calling the G19 least accurate is because of the fact it had the most fliers, but once dialed in at 50 feet, I was using a circles traced around a starbucks lid with a magic marker as my targets. ((Yes I do bring markers to the range and write on my targets)) and none of the three guns would be considered inaccurate. The PPQ was devastating this is a gun that almost takes the fun out of target shooting at a pistol range because of the fact it simply is a foregone conclusion you're going to hit what you want.

Reliability: The PPQ had a FTF on one go round that required us to drop the mag in order to resolve. My father was the shooter and this is not unheard of for him to have FTF's when shooting. The other two guns functioned without flaw through 100 rounds each.

Capacity: The G19 and VP9 have 15 round magazines, the PPQ has a 15 round and an 18 round magazine. However, I hate the 18 round magazines on the PPQ. They just make the gun feel awkward and unwieldy in my hands. I'd be tempted to trade all my 18 rounders for 15 rounders if I could find a person to trade them

Comfort: I'm supposed to say VP9 was the most comfortable, I'm supposed to say the G19 is the least comfortable. But I can't really. All three guns feel nice in my hand, if I had to make one subjective comment about the guns the Vp9 when I pick it up and hold it, the dots line up naturally. I have an tendency to grip my guns in a way so that the front sight is blocked by the rear right sight with the VP9 this did not happen for grip panels I used the large palm side, the medium finger side, and the medium back strap. On the PPQ I use the Medium back strap. I like the backstrap on the PPQ more than the VP because the swell is in a better spot.

Tigger:

Because the Glock is modified this is slightly unfair, however, anyone who owns a Glock could and should be able to change the connector so it isn't a gunsmiths masterpiece.

The initial pull goes to the Glock, it's one of those triggers you can just almost smack with your finger and it goes bang.

The PPQ has the shortest reset, this allowed for the fastest shooting.

The VP9 has just a very very nice trigger.

My favorite is the PPQ because it allows me to shoot the fastest without coming off target.
    My Fathers favorite is the VP9 because he was able to shoot the most accurately with it during rapid fire exercises

Recoil:

9mm is 9mm is 9mm

We both agreed the glock had a tendency to "bounce" slightly off target when shooting rapidly.

The PPQ tends to lift up the faster you shoot.

The VP9 tends to sway down and left.

((this is likely the result of mediocre shooters shooting mediocrely))

Overall:

The PPQ m2 Navy is the least practical from a conceal carry aspect just because it has the threaded barrel. It feels like a gun that belongs on a range. The shooting accuracy of this gun is just otherworldly.. this is the gun that all new shooters should shoot when they are scared of shooting. Nothing builds confidence faster than doing it well and nothing makes a person feel at ease than the ability to pick up a gun and have it just work wonderfully..

The Glock feels the cheapest and was the cheapest to buy even with the modifications, it's finish was the roughest, it's blacks were the greyest, and it works very well. I will probably continue to carry this gun most of the time because I just don't have any sort of emotion attachment to this gun. It is a tool in the tool box.

The VP9 is a beautiful gun, I really am impressed and I wouldn't mind carrying it, I couldn't shoot it as fast as either of the other two guns, but splitting hairs, it seems like it is the prettiest of the three guns and in terms of abilities nestled somewhere right in the middle between them both. However, since all three guns work so well this isn't a bad place to be.

I could recommend any of these guns to anyone and be confident they would be happy.. But if i had to pick a winner, if you could only own one it would be the VP9, if it was a gun you would enjoy the most PPQ.

A few pics, sadly none from the range..

10848048_10101107762262726_2413964394969909841_n.jpg

10868083_10101107567962106_6043501476499156446_n.jpg

10698498_10101107568231566_1668301808677704778_n.jpg

10845936_10101107568326376_2315217057793945208_n.jpg

I am a Forum User
    Great write up. The more I read about the PPQ the more I want to try one. What do you think of the grip size of the PPQ for a shooter with smaller hands?

Was at location in Keego yesterday with a friend and shot basically the same 3 guns. We rented their PPQ, VSP and he has a G19 with ghost connector only (I think). We both loved the PPQ. The trigger feels so different, but I am very fast with it. Lots of pressure with a fair amount of take up, extremely short reset.

He is more accurate with his G19, but he has thousands of runs through it. I am more accurate with my Shield for same reason. Accuracy was marginally better though and with a little practice would shoot the PPQ the same or better.

Sounds like overall same impression.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cmr19xx View Post
    Great write up. The more I read about the PPQ the more I want to try one. What do you think of the grip size of the PPQ for a shooter with smaller hands?
    God I am not sure for smaller hands, I mean I normally use medium to large grips, and I think with the customization of the VP9 and ppq you could certainly make work.

The G19 you'd have to have someone modify the grip which I am a fan of of.

Or I think lone wolf is coming out with a frame adaptor for glock that is exciting.

I don't know what area you are in but if you're around oakland county we could meet at one of the local ranges and you can try sometime

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by annade View Post
    Was at location in Keego yesterday with a friend and shot basically the same 3 guns. We rented their PPQ, VSP and he has a G19 with ghost connector only (I think). We both loved the PPQ. The trigger feels so different, but I am very fast with it. Lots of pressure with a fair amount of take up, extremely short reset.

He is more accurate with his G19, but he has thousands of runs through it. I am more accurate with my Shield for same reason. Accuracy was marginally better though and with a little practice would shoot the PPQ the same or better.

Sounds like overall same impression.
    I certainly have way more rounds through my glock by thousands and it has stood the test of time.

Being the worst of the 3 in any category is still a great thing to be..

I mean all three guns have done an amazing job yesterday. .

I'll add..

The VP9 is only marginally harder to clean..

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by nrich1979 View Post
    God I am not sure for smaller hands, I mean I normally use medium to large grips, and I think with the customization of the VP9 and ppq you could certainly make work.

The G19 you'd have to have someone modify the grip which I am a fan of of.

Or I think lone wolf is coming out with a frame adaptor for glock that is exciting.

I don't know what area you are in but if you're around oakland county we could meet at one of the local ranges and you can try sometime
    Thanks. Not a fan of Glock grips for that reason. The double stack that seems to fit my hand best these days is the Ruger sr9. I'm going to stop into Gander at lunch one day over the next couple of weeks and see if I can put my mitts on a PPQ and see if its worth exploring further and go from there. I appreciate the offer to meet up and may take you up on that. My office is in Southfield.

MGO Member Forum User
    Thanks for the review. I may see a G19 and VP9 in my future.

I am a Forum User
    Good write up. I have shot all 3 but only own the VP9. PPQ is a nice gun, but I dont like the sights. (also prefer the M1 to the M2). Glock 19's are great, but I just dont have the need for one.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
    Good write up. I have shot all 3 but only own the VP9. PPQ is a nice gun, but I dont like the sights. (also prefer the M1 to the M2). Glock 19's are great, but I just dont have the need for one.
    There is two benefits really three that would incline someone towards owning a glock 19.

It's aftermarket is huge nearly every part is available and affordable

The gun itself is the cheapest by far, while the performance in a defensive situation wouldn't be lacking ..

And it has the longest history.. it's worked for the better part of 10 years.. you should be assured the kinks are worked out on the glock

And I like the M1 and it's coming back in 2015.. too bad different mags

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

Hey folks, I'm gonna throw my 2cents in here. I have the P99(AS), the PPQ(original), and the VP9, and I've sold a glock 17. I'm currently looking to sell the VP9. If I didn't already have 2 walthers that can swap mags and some other stuff, I might be more inclined to keep it. the P99 and PPQ are almost identical to shoot and are great for anybody. the VP9 is almost identical in feel and operation to the both of them - it's nice that it has that extra grip customization though. And glock... love 'em or hate 'em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast