Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

Wink Review, CZ 712 - 12 ga Wood Furniture 28", 3" chamber *PIC WARNING*

During my time off from work I decided to invest in a project gun. I enjoy shooting clays, as well as hobbysmithing my firearms, so I became interested in another sporting clays gun. I needed a gun with solid "bones", but requires some special attention to tune and adjust. Part of my reasons for buying a gun requiring attention, comes from my enjoyment from gunsmithing. After some research and homework, I found these needs met by CZ's model 712 Semi-Automatic shotgun!

The 712 is a Czech designed, Turkish manufactured firearm. Although this is not my first rodeo with a Turkish gun, it is my first experience with CZ firearms. Branded CZ, and created on the Turkish Huglu factory floor in 2013, the 712 has all the standard (or sub-standard) Turkish identifying characteristics. Tooling marks, uneven finishes and amateur machining have BASIC written all over this gun. After all, at $500 - $600 USD average, this gun requires nothing more than basic consideration. The age of these guns can be determined fairly easily. The date code on this gun is easily identified in the first two numbers of the serial.

Out of the blue cardboard box comes a purple velvet wrapped receiver assembly and a separate barrel. A generalized instruction manual that covers several models of shotguns is included for your reading pleasure. Although reading the manual may not be all that pleasurable trying to decipher translated code, one can find sufficient information there. Helpfully included in the manual are several exploded diagrams and numbered parts lists in case you need to identify replacement parts. Under a cardboard flap, hides a black box containing 5 Beretta/Benelli Mobilchoke style choke tubes. Light weight and turned from some type of alloy steel, the chokes are a strange new quality ive not experienced from a Turkish manufacturer. A far cry better than the chokes that came with my Khan shotguns, these new chokes seem crafted with considerably greater quality control. All together this gun was packaged, as can be expected by underpaid workers, without much care or excessive panache. A basic gun in a basic box.

The shotgun seems constructed and fit by able hands. Its fit and finish leave much to be desired, yet appears solid and rugged. Hand cut checkering, in Turkish walnut, shows the amount of care taken by stock fitters with over-extended cuts here and there. I can appreciate the checkering more with the appearance of a few uneven lines and grooves, showing at least some personal attention paid on the wood. The grain isnt pretty but it isnt horrible either. Oiled and buffed with a decent amount of care, the wood is actually nicer than some furniture ive experienced on American made firearms. Its finish is significantly rougher than most other matte finished guns ive handled. A cloth with linting tendencies will surely leave it behind during your maintenance sessions. This aspect should not be viewed as a negative since it adds resilience and scuff resistance for those thick and harsh carry environments. Available in several finishes and gauge sizes, this model can be purchased to fit almost any shotgunning need. My gun came with a matte finished, 12 gauge 28" vent ribbed barrel with a brass bead up front. The gun features a shell release button similar to the Benelli models, which allows the gun to be racked without actually charging the gun. Depressing the button releases a shell onto the lifter for insertion in the chamber or under the lifter for fairly easy unloading procedures. Most of the action parts are hard chromed as well as the barrel. This is a nice feature for corrosion resistance and easy wipe-down cleaning. While most of the internal steel shows machining marks and dull tool indication, the final assembly as a whole isnt too bad. I cant expect a gun at this pricepoint to be completely perfect, but at least its functional and somewhat smooth out of the box.

My first instinct was to take this out to my favorite fields and forests, and get acquainted on a more personal level than this gun has seen since its creation. After all, dont we all need a little love to grow and blossom? I chose instead to take it to my local shooting range, as a pre-hunt test. Out on the range, I decided to prove its overall worth with various factory and re-loads. Standard bulk pack ammo functions well and seems to perform accurately. Reloads, on the other hand, did not fair so well. Every other round produced light struck primers that failed to fire. I can associate this with a deeper primer seat and a shorter firing pin protrusion. Since I like to shoot and reload my hunting rounds, this drawback was going to be a problem if left unattended to. The bolt action seemed slightly stiff and slow during firing so I will need to perform some reliability modifications if this gun is going to perform flawlessly. During my initial trials, several issues arose that would need attention. By feel alone, I could tell this wasnt going to cycle light loads at this point. The confidence in my general gunsmithing abilities had me somewhat excited about the modifications I would be performing later.

Back at home, I took this guy down to the basement gunsmithing lab and proceeded to strip it right down. Out of the range failures produced a blueprint for success. I would need to perform several major services, and looked forward to doing so. Of these services, performing them at home would surely void my warranty, but my stubborn confidence guided my decision quickly. IME if you want something done right, its a venture best addressed personally. I have little confidence in sending my guns into the manufacturer because of the impersonal and generalized work, and loss of communication between various attending hands. I would encourage uncomfortable parties to utilize the warranty services that can be provided for free. In this case, I would need to alter springs and tolerances, ports and parts. The modifications I made included action spring reduction, gas port enlarging, mating surface truing and polishing, firing pin protrusion, trigger group refining, bolt and carrier mods, bolt release mods and general edge braking and polishing. Not everyone can or will be excited by the thought of performing major services to a brand new, out of box gun. That means that if you want a solid Out Of Box performance, you'll want to look elsewhere. If your plan is to shape a reliable "sleeper"(car guy reference)gun, this might be your ticket to some fun and gunsmithing adventures.

From the rough blank emerged an exceptional firearm that I can count on when that flushed bird pokes its head out, or that clay dips and dives just before that satisfying bang. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder... mine sees the beauty that this gun possesses with some personal attention and TLC. That being said, not every one of these guns will have the issues, or require the work this one needed. I would rate this gun, performing reliably, a great value and addition to a worldly collection of firearms. Worthy of consideration, these newer CZ 712's have ever increasing quality and reliability that has progressed during its model life. From a hunk of garbage during its initial inception to a maturing adult-like rendition, You can bet your bottom dollar that these 712's will see fruition and refinement in the years to come!

-t79d

Last edited by tyler79durdan; 02-14-2015 at 07:14 AM.

MGO Member
    Good read and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    I really like the looks of your gun.

I am a Forum User
    Very Nice , congrats

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Schmitz87 View Post
    Good read and nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    I really like the looks of your gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by bolonytony24 View Post
    Very Nice , congrats
    Thank you both. I try to write these for the readers. I enjoy reading about my favorite guns and writing these reviews helps recharge my creative batteries. Writing is good brain exercise, and it's encouraging to hear feedback on something like this. This is my second review so still a little rough around the edges.

I am a Forum User
    I would like to add that the customer service I've received from the gunsmiths, namely mr. Neale Flynn, has been outstanding, accommodating and just plain right. These people seem to want this company to succeed. I requested replacement parts and was sent a large envelope containing several bags of parts, mainly replacement backup parts of the ones I modified. I did request a few things that were noticeably off like the steel gas rings that were cut wrong and had very large gaps at the split. I could tell by eye alone that these gaps were way too big for a good seal under pressure and oh boy was I right. The new gas rings are split in the same manner but the gaps are much smaller and tighter. While most of the parts remain in the bags they arrived in, the ones that were installed have increased performance to a new level of greatness! I'm glad that I bought this gun and appreciate its stature in the field or on the range.

Based on "his"(the gun) performances, I've decided to name it and designate a more personal level attention and awareness. I've named him Gabriel. Meaning of the name is interpreted as a "man of God", "weapon of God", "God is strong," "God is my strength", "Hero of God", or "I was overcome with God." This name is popular among the Czech people, and seems fitting based on actual performance and the names interpreted meaning.

It should also be noted that this model is the 1st generation and now considered retired or limited production and is replaced with a "g2" model which incorporates a few changes. The G2 version adds new laser-engraved checkering, right-hand plam swell as well as a barrel lock-ring to make assembly easier.
    Last edited by tyler79durdan; 02-08-2015 at 07:42 AM.

MGO Member
    Very nice read. Looks like a nice field gun. I don't reload myself. Sounds like it was pretty reliable with the off the shelf ammo out if the box?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy_K View Post
    Very nice read. Looks like a nice field gun. I don't reload myself. Sounds like it was pretty reliable with the off the shelf ammo out if the box?
    Yes. The gun performed well with only a few minor, personal choice alterations like stiff springs and sharp edges. Most of my changes were preemptive or founded by reliability need. After dealing with the CS at CZUSA, I'm confident anyone could find favor in this brand and model. It's a great value and grossly under-appreciated.

Thank you for reading my review! Now I'm off to push snow and salt walks...

-t79d
    Last edited by tyler79durdan; 02-09-2015 at 06:10 AM.