Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by erict View Post
    I would like to find a video camera that could link to my ipad that I could use at the range. Sure would be a lot better then spotting scope.
    GoPros do this. I commonly put my go pro down range and use my iPad to see what it sees. My iPad can fully control it too. They connect to each other via a direct wifi connection.

The new generation came out this year(Hero4) so the last gen is cheaper now(Hero3+) and more than adequate. I will warn you that the Hero3+ Black edition(there are 3 grades of GoPro per generation:white, silver, black) was plagued with some quirks and I'm not sure they squared them away with software updates or not. The Hero3+ Silver however is still an amazing camera and goes for $300. I've taken some amazing quality videos with mine(Hero3+ Silver). The big thing is buying a lightening fast SD card and just because it's specs are right, doesn't mean it performs to those specs. If your card is to slow, your videos will suffer.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 02-19-2015 at 11:39 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    GoPros do this. I commonly put my go pro down range and use my iPad to see what it sees. My iPad can fully control it too. They connect to each other via a direct wifi connection.
    Can you give me a link to a low priced GoPro that would handle this task?

Can you give me a link to a low priced GoPro that would handle this task?
    Is high quality video more important than the feature itself or are you mainly looking to use the remote viewing feature?

The Hero 3 white is the cheapest model that is still supported that has the remote viewing capabilities. You can use any android or IOS device that has WiFi and can run the GoPro app. They are $200 direct from GoPro right now. I browsed around and couldn't find it cheaper anywhere(they're all $199.99).

I got mine cheapish because Walmart had on online sale price and they were throwing in a crappy SD card(crappy for gopro use). Went to a random Best Buy and they beat the price and matched the freebies...the only good best buy experience I've had.

I want to see if I can hold it up to a spotting scope and use my iPad to view ...don't have a spotting scope though

Welcome to go tinker with mine and shoot some guns.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 02-19-2015 at 12:05 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Is high quality video important more important than the feature itself or are you mainly looking to use the remote viewing feature?

The Hero 3 white is the cheapest model that is still supported that has the remote viewing capabilities. You can use any android or IOS device that has WiFi and can run the GoPro app. They are $200 direct from GoPro right now.
    Looking for a model that is cost effective but will provide use with either my Android phone or iPad while I'm at the range. The GoPRo's are all new to me. I know nothing about these cameras. Do I need a wifi connection or just a device that has wifi?

Looking for a model that is cost effective but will provide use with either my Android phone or iPad while I'm at the range. The GoPRo's are all new to me. I know nothing about these cameras. Do I need a wifi connection or just a device that has wifi?
    Device itself has WiFi...no router or internet needed. Think of it like Bluetooth.

They work well with IOS and Android(I've used both).

Like I said, you're welcome to hit the range with me one day and tinker with mine. My Hero3+ Silver takes some amazing quality video!

I also started using it in training classes so I can review drills, my own habits, etc. Great training tool IMO and is why I didn't cheap out when I got mine(Hero 3+ was the new gen when I bought mine).

I am a Forum User
    Device itself has WiFi...no router or internet needed. Think of it like Bluetooth.

They work well with IOS and Android(I've used both).

Like I said, you're welcome to hit the range with me one day and tinker with mine. My Hero3+ Silver takes some amazing quality video!

I also started using it in training classes so I can review drills, my own habits, etc. Great training tool IMO and is why I didn't cheap out when I got mine(Hero 3+ was the new gen when I bought mine).
    Is it cut and dry. Set GoPro on tripod near target and view on either Android Or iPad at shooting bench? Also, would getting the remote be advised? I imagine for turning it on and off?

Is it cut and dry. Set GoPro on tripod near target and view on either Android Or iPad at shooting bench? Also, would getting the remote be advised? I imagine for turning it on and off?
    Ya, its pretty cut and dry after the first setup. You basically setup the gopro as a router and then connect the smart devices to it like you would any other WiFi networks. I don't think the remote is of much use since you can do everything from the smart device.

I'll try and see if I can turn mine on and off via WiFi...don't remember if its only off or both.

WiFi connection does kill the gopro's battery significantly faster...but spare batteries are only $20. Camera settings impact the run time as well. I think mine is rated for 45-60mins on max settings with WiFi and double that without WiFi. I have some spare batteries though...

Gopro's website has some good comparison charts between there models. There are also some gopro forums where you can find a lot of great info. I haunted the forums for awhile before I bought one. Good GoPro forum link.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 02-19-2015 at 12:55 PM.

I just played with mine(haven't in awhile)...I can turn it both on and off via my iPad/smart device just as the remote does. The remote connects in the same manor using WiFi. There is a long distance remote that works at 600' or so too...not sure how far I can go with my iPad but I've been clear over 100'.

You have to turn the WiFi on the camera on to use the remote or smart device functions. That said, when you turn the camera "off" with WiFi on, the camera goes to sleep rather than off so that WiFi can maintain a connection. This is how you're able to turn it back on still. So, when you are completely done using the camera, you have to turn WiFi off then turn the camera off(there's a light for WiFi so you know if its on or off).

The live streaming of video works quite well, but you won't get the same HD quality that the camera is recording. Its a downgraded quality to ensure smooth function and it works smoothly in my experiences(no juttering video). You can play back the videos you recorded wirelessly too but again, it won't be the same quality as it was recorded in(but it'll be better than the viewing screen mode).

Playing back very high quality video through an SD card can be problematic to if the device trying playback the video can't decode it fast enough. You'll get out of sync audio and/or juttering(frame skipping) video. Rest assured that it is in how you're trying to play the video back and not how it was recorded(unless you used a poppy SD card). An Xbox 360 with an SD card to USB adapter can't handle this task smoothly with full quality videos from my gopro...
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 02-19-2015 at 01:34 PM.

I am a Forum User
    I just played with mine(haven't in awhile)...I can turn it both on and off via my iPad/smart device just as the remote does. The remote connects in the same manor using WiFi. There is a long distance remote that works at 600' or so too...not sure how far I can go with my iPad but I've been clear over 100'.

You have to turn the WiFi on the camera on to use the remote or smart device functions. That said, when you turn the camera "off" with WiFi on, the camera goes to sleep rather than off so that WiFi can maintain a connection. This is how you're able to turn it back on still. So, when you are completely done using the camera, you have to turn WiFi off then turn the camera off(there's a light for WiFi so you know if its on or off).

The live streaming of video works quite well, but you won't get the same HD quality that the camera is recording. Its a downgraded quality to ensure smooth function and it works smoothly in my experiences(no juttering video). You can play back the videos you recorded wirelessly too but again, it won't be the same quality as it was recorded in(but it'll be better than the viewing screen mode).

Playing back very high quality video through an SD card can be problematic to if the device trying playback the video can't decode it fast enough. You'll get out of sync audio and/or juttering(frame skipping) video. Rest assured that it is in how you're trying to play the video back and not how it was recorded(unless you used a poppy SD card). An Xbox 360 with an SD card to USB adapter can't handle this task smoothly with full quality videos from my gopro...

Is the live video that is played on ipad good enough to see POI on the target? When I set the camera off to the side of the target on tripod, does it have a zoom lens? I appreciate the info.

Is the live video that is played on ipad good enough to see POI on the target? When I set the camera off to the side of the target on tripod, does it have a zoom lens? I appreciate the info.
    The live video is deff. good enough to see POI on mine.

You can buy a variety of lenses for these things. Like most things, you get what you pay for and high end ain't cheap as with most quality optics. They start at $20-30 for a 2x.

Remember, you are limited to wifi distances. Your allotted distance will have many factors such as the smart device's wifi antenna and your location(rf distortion from other nearby devices). Simply put, diff. devices will have diff. ranges. From the tests I've watched, I see anywhere from 200-500+ft depending on devices(camera + smart device). So 100yds seems like a reasonable expectation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast