Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    Is high quality video more important than the feature itself or are you mainly looking to use the remote viewing feature?

The Hero 3 white is the cheapest model that is still supported that has the remote viewing capabilities. You can use any android or IOS device that has WiFi and can run the GoPro app. They are $200 direct from GoPro right now. I browsed around and couldn't find it cheaper anywhere(they're all $199.99).

I got mine cheapish because Walmart had on online sale price and they were throwing in a crappy SD card(crappy for gopro use). Went to a random Best Buy and they beat the price and matched the freebies...the only good best buy experience I've had.

I want to see if I can hold it up to a spotting scope and use my iPad to view ...don't have a spotting scope though

Welcome to go tinker with mine and shoot some guns.
    Is there an attachment included for connecting it to a spotting scope? Also, what card would you recommend?

I am a Forum User
    Cocowheats, I am still interested in this and now I see they have a new model, the HERO4 Session. What is your view on this model if you had a chance to check it out yet? I'm wondering if this will fit my needs over the silver.

Go to ebay and search for cell phone telescope. I have an 8 and a 12 power. They work very well.

Samsung GS 7 using Tapatalk
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post
    i saw this, and built my own for just over $150.. a little different.. and (IMHO..lol) much better.

mine has a 600+ yard range...

I'll post pics if anyone is interested..

Care to share the build info?

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Care to share the build info?
    not at all. I figured I would use the FPV info i had from building drones.. I used a 5.8ghz transmitter and receiver,
    a 4.3" LCD and a 1/2" CCD camera with manual zoom/focus.

The camera and transmitter went into a plastic hobby box, along with a 8- AAA battery holder, and a tripod mount, and on/off switch.
    this used downrange, infront of, and to the side of the target.

the "range box" is simply a plastic ammo can, with the receiver, battery pack, and I cut the side of the ammo can to fit the LCD monitor.

i dont have a drobox or such, so I cant post a pic.. but I will email it to anyone interested.

In Memoriam Forum User
    Looks like an enormous interference to your field of view. Turn your phone's camera on, then quickly pan your surroundings. This will get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by erict View Post
    Is there an attachment included for connecting it to a spotting scope? Also, what card would you recommend?
    I have never seen a mount to do this but there may be one out there...I figured I could chop up the front portion of the clear impact case that typically surrounds the GoPro and make it work with some fabricating.
    Quote Originally Posted by erict View Post
    Cocowheats, I am still interested in this and now I see they have a new model, the HERO4 Session. What is your view on this model if you had a chance to check it out yet? I'm wondering if this will fit my needs over the silver.
    -The silver can be had slightly cheaper than the new Session model($175 vs $200).
    -The Session model will do 2.7k@30FPS whereas the highest the Silver 3+ will do is 1080p@60FPS(which is PLENTY imo).
    -Removable and changeable battery in the 3+ Silver...Session has a built in non-removable battery.
    -3+ Silver has slightly better camera resolution than the Session(10mp vs 8mp).
    -3+ Silver handles low light a bit better than the Session.
    -Session has "Super View" mode which makes the viewing extra wide(think widescreen + some).

So, with all that said and the prices being so damn close; I personally would still buy the 3+ Silver over a Session if not for the removable batteries alone. 1080P@60FPS is plenty for my needs and I do use it in low light(like caves) so the slightly better low light handeling is a big plus to me.

All depends on what you're planning on using it for I guess too. The diff. form factors might be the deal maker/breaker for you whereas they are near the bottom of my list.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 07-15-2016 at 01:35 PM.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    I have never seen a mount to do this but there may be one out there...I figured I could chop the front portion of the clear impact case that typically surrounds the GoPro.

-The silver can be had slightly cheaper than the new Session model($175 vs $200).
    -The Session model will do 2.7k@30FPS whereas the highest the Silver 3+ will do is 1080p@60FPS(which is PLENTY imo).
    -Removable and changeable battery in the 3+ Silver...Session has a built in non-removable battery.
    -3+ Silver has slightly better camera resolution than the Session(10mp vs 8mp).
    -3+ Silver handles low light a bit better than the Session.
    -Session has "Super View" mode which makes the viewing extra wide(think widescreen + some).

So, with all that said and the prices being so damn close; I personally would still buy the 3+ Silver over a Session if not for the removable batteries alone. 1080P@60FPS is plenty for my needs and I do use it in low light(like caves) so the slightly better low light handeling is a big plus to me.

All depends on what you're planning on using it for I guess too. The diff. form factors might be the deal maker/breaker for you whereas they are near the bottom of my list.

curious.... what is the distance you get from the wifi on the GoPgro's ?

Quote Originally Posted by pkuptruck View Post
    curious.... what is the distance you get from the wifi on the GoPgro's ?
    That will be very dependent on the device(s) being used...Diff. devices use diff. WiFi chips/antennas at diff power levels.

I've used my Ipad 4th gen with my Hero 3+ Silver @ about 20-30yds...Don't recall what my max distance was but I do believe with a clean line of sight, I got a bit further.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast