Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    Appleseed is very much a hands on, everybody participates kind of thing. It is something that everyone who sees it wants to do it. So yes, bring the nephew and everyone else to do it, not just watch. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    +1. jasomx6, when I went to my first Appleseed, I brought my then-11-year-old daughter, and had the same questions. It seemed like a big commitment, a whole weekend: should I go and watch one first, should I go by myself first? I trusted the fellow who invited me and dived right in with her. We both had a great time--at the end of the first day, we got in the car to go home and she said "Dad, we need to get involved in this." And we did! Appleseed instructors take a lot of pride in meeting students where they are, no matter their previous experience, age or skill level, and I've seen everyone from complete new shooters who had literally never fired a shot to national-level competitive shooters. It is also an extremely safe shooting environment. Definitely bring anyone interested!

MGO Member
    Nvm, found the info I was looking for. I'll be registering for Fenton later today.
    Last edited by dragonGTR; 03-30-2015 at 10:21 AM.
    MCRGO Concealed Pistol License Safety & Training Instructor.
    NRA RSO & Certified Instructor Basic Pistol, PPITH (CPL), and PPOTH.
    Criminals don't care, not about your life, not about your stuff, not about your animals.....
    They are like politiicans, as long as they get what they want, they don't care.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonGTR View Post
    What kind of rifles are allowed? Looked at the sight and see no mention of specific types. Does that mean sks, ak, AR-15, etc are all good to go as long as the range allows it?
    Yes--max. caliber 8mm, plus any local range rules. Most students will be most comfortable with a semi-auto rifle with a detachable magazine but folks run bolt-action, lever-action, tube-fed--you can use anything and will learn. The semi-auto and mag are convenient for some teaching points and on the "test"--the AQT, which is derived from WWII-era qualfication tests but these tests were originally shot with M1903 Springfields so clearly a boltie with chargers / "stripper clips" worked! (You'll develop some extra skills!)

Appleseed teaches how to make good use of a shooting sling--a sling that can be used in a loop configuration (like a GI "M1" web sling--much less expensive than a M1907 sling) is highly encouraged. There are often loaner slings available--if you have sling swivels (better yet, 1-1/4" swivels) installed all the better but we can usually create temporary attachments points.

If you have questions about a specific event, go on the Appleseed forum (you'll need to create a username to post) and post a question on the Michigan state board and an instructor (usually the shoot boss) affiliated with that particular event will be happy to work with you on any local rifle restrictions, if loaner equipment is available, etc.

PS. If you use the SKS, having rounds on chargers will come in handy!

MGO Member
    It will depends on what I can get 10 rnd mags for cheaper. Sks or ar-15. Unless I can find ammo and actually buy a 22lr
    Criminals don't care, not about your life, not about your stuff, not about your animals.....

I am a Forum User
    It will depends on what I can get 10 rnd mags for cheaper. Sks or ar-15. Unless I can find ammo and actually buy a 22lr
    Roger that. Worth checking with the instructors--sometimes they have .22 they are willing to sell if a student can't find it. Shooting 400+ rounds for the weekend, you can pay for a .22 rifle with the savings. (Although it is nice to hear centerfires on the line!)

MGO Member
    Don't necessarily have to have 10 round mags, just something that holds a minimum of 10 rounds or combination of 10 rounds. We shoot 5 round strings and combinations of 2 rounds and 8 rounds and 10 rounds. So if you have something more than 10 rounds you can just load 2, 5, 8 or 10 in it as needed. But you will need a minimum of 2 mags for the reload stages of fire and to at least be able to shoot 10 rounds.

As Oz1 said, if you let the shootboss (email at bottom of registration) know ahead of time, they might have ammo to sell and/or mags/rifles etc to loan. Or PM either me or Oz1
    Last edited by Garymac; 03-30-2015 at 04:08 PM.

MGO Member
    I'm registered working on a few of my friends

MGO Member
    I'm registered working on a few of my friends
    Great, the more the merrier. It really is a lot of fun and is quite challenging besides.

MGO Member Forum User
    Registered for Fenton today.

I don't know if it went through. I tried to pay using Paypal, but my browser locked up. Can you tell me if you got a reservation for me.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dziadek View Post
    Registered for Fenton today.

I don't know if it went through. I tried to pay using Paypal, but my browser locked up. Can you tell me if you got a reservation for me.
    PM incoming

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast