Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Mini 14 Question

Contemplating buying one and wondered if anyone had experience with the 7.62x39 vs the 5.56? I am somewhat aware that the 580 series are 'supposedly' more accurate than the earlier ones, but was wondering about any + or - between the 2 calibers.

thanks

Banned
    The mini 14 is the finest shotgun Ruger ever made.

It shoots patterns, not groups.

Buy an AR15.

Mini 14 is .223, Mini 30 is 762x39
    My 184 series Mini 14, is plenty accurate for my needs... Pick the caliber you like the best, and go with it
    Good site for research
    http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/

I can easily keep my shots center mass on a 14"x20" steel silouhette at 100yrds, off hand open sights... Try that with a shotty!

I am a Forum User
    I've got the 580 series mini-30 tactical. It's the short, heavy barrel. Out of the box, the 50yd groups were plate sized. I bought a barrel strut and installed it, and it made a huge difference. But keep in mind, I'm shooting bulk Russian steel thru it. It feeds and shoots brass with no problems. But 7.62 brass is very expensive.
    Downfalls that I have seen- accuracy, for sure. But that's as much the round as it is the gun. The rear sights are garbage. If you do scope it, get a tough one. Like for a shotgun. The Garand action beats the hell out of them. I tried a buffer pad and heavier recoil spring, it did help. And sometimes, it doesn't like steel case ammo that much. You get a fail to feed one and a while. The heavier spring improved that, too.
    If you want something that's a challenge to learn how to shoot, and don't mind spending a few bucks and some labor, then it's for you.
    I personally like to shoot it, it's fun. And I can share ammo with my AK. But honestly, if you want a 7.62, I would recommend an AK platform.
    I do have a friend that has the mini-14 target version. The one with the barrel dampener. He loves it. But I really don't know much about it.

Thanks very much.

I may just look for a Zastava AK tho I like the Mini 14 being a little handier overall.

Thanks again.

I am a Forum User
    I have a Mini 30, love it. Plenty accurate enough to use deer hunting at 100 yards. Plenty accurate enough and very convenient for a bug-out gun. I like the traditonal feel and design way over a 'modern sporting gun'.

If you want to do some bullseye bench rest, don't buy it.

Magnum Force in Monroe had two used Mini 14's with wood stocks and a synthetic/stainless Mini-30 when I was there Saturday.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    I have a Mini 30, love it. Plenty accurate enough to use deer hunting at 100 yards. Plenty accurate enough and very convenient for a bug-out gun. I like the traditonal feel and design way over a 'modern sporting gun'.

If you want to do some bullseye bench rest, don't buy it.
    Yup - see above.

I have a Mini 30 and its a neat 100 yard carbine; would never buy a Mini 14 vs an AR due to accuracy.

The 'new' Mini 14s are supposed to be much better but the strong point of the Mini design is not accuracy but the inherent reliability and durability -with decent ammo they can run a long time between cleanings and take a lot of rough handling and dirty environments.

My Mini 30 has a folding stock and scout rail mounted red dot; registered it as a MI pistol way back so can even carry concealed / folded / in vehicle etc.

Factory 20 rd 7.62 mags a huge improvement vs the Triple K junk we used to be limited to; factory 5 rd sits flush and makes a nice smaller package if desired.

I am a Forum User
    Oh yeah, and it's a hoot to shoot!