Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gun Vault Moisture

Hi Everyone:
    I just wanted to share a minor gun vault experience that surprised me a bit. I have two vaults in my basement-a big 600 pound Cannon that I purchased a few years ago, and my original 150 pound vault I now use to store only ammo. I run a 30 pint dehumidifier in the basement at 60 percent(which will now go way down asap!), and have two 'goldenrod' type dehumidifier units- one in each of in the vaults. This weekend, I had to move my little vault with 600 pounds of ammo in it. It would not budge! So I took everything out of it to organize the ammo stash, and found that the dollar store moisture remover I put in there two months ago had over a pint of water in it! I didn't think these things really worked! And I thought my vaults were keeping things fairly dry! I have an electrical outlet in the big vault, and will have to buy something that works a bit better for the high humidity summer months, when my humidifier runs nearly non-stop.

Regards,
    Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

I am a Forum User
    At 60 percent humidity you could almost use the basement as a cigar humidor! I'm sure dropping the level will go a long way to keeping your safes dry.
    k

Quote Originally Posted by juicemon View Post
    At 60 percent humidity you could almost use the basement as a cigar humidor! I'm sure dropping the level will go a long way to keeping your safes dry.
    k
    I really had no idea 60 percent was that damp! I now wonder what the basement humidity is without the dehumidifier! Maybe I need another unit? I think the dehumidifier settings only go down to 50 percent, and I empty the water bin every other day at that rate. Winter months are fine, but in the summer, the amount of water collected increases tenfold. I will be buying more of those moisture removal canisters until I figure out what to do...Thanks for the reply!
    Regards, Costanza
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

I am a Forum User
    A lot of dehumidifiers have a hookup for a garden hose, which you can then route to your sump well or drain. It keeps you from having to empty it regularly.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by lethean View Post
    A lot of dehumidifiers have a hookup for a garden hose, which you can then route to your sump well or drain. It keeps you from having to empty it regularly.
    This is precisely what I was going to recommend.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by lethean View Post
    This. I run mine into my condensate pump for my furnace, works like a charm.

I am a Forum User
    Even 50 is too high. The reason is the big ugly hairy evil looking centipedes. They like humidity over 45%. I keep my dehumidifier at 40%

I am a Forum User
    Mine just has a dial setting of 0-10. Keeping mine set at setting 6 will keep the basement at 40-45%. I have two humidity monitors in the basement. One in the open and one in the safe to keep an accurate monitor on things. One thing about dehumidifiers is they cost $$$ to run. Mine is around $50 per month,crazy.

I am a Forum User
    I keep a mason jar with desiccant inside my safe. A few holes in the top and I shake it about once in a while and change beads occasionaly too. Seems to work well but I have access to desiccant at work and it's free to me when it's left over from a job .

Quote Originally Posted by Thrindle View Post
    Even 50 is too high. The reason is the big ugly hairy evil looking centipedes. They like humidity over 45%. I keep my dehumidifier at 40%
    Ha! Yes! I hat those things. Yesterday, I bumped my dehumidifier down to 40 percent, it has been a couple of years since I have had(seen) any centipedes, but used to see them fairly often. They are the real reason I carry a gun! Gotta rig up the drain hose!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast