Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Michigan Gun Owners files suit against Ann Arbor Public Schools

Michigan Gun Owners, Inc (MGO) has filed suit against Ann Arbor Public Schools (AAPS).

This lawsuit comes on the heels of AAPS enacting policies 5400, 5410, and 5420. Policy 5400 allows the Superintendent to close schools an cancel events if there is an emergency. It specifically states the presence of a dangerous weapon, which includes a pistol, is an emergency. Policy 5410 designates all Ann Arbor School's property as " Dangerous Weapon & Disruption-Free Zones". It also mandates that the Superintendent enforce these policies. Policy 5420 states that no person in possession of a dangerous weapon will be allowed to be on Ann Arbor Public School Property. Michigan Gun Owners is seeking a declaratory judgement against AAPS from promulgating and enforcing any policy that is preempted by state law.

It costs Michigan Gun Owners, Inc. money to prosecute lawsuits such as this one. Won't you consider making a donation to our legal fund today?

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/con...-Donate-to-MGO
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Michigan Gun Owners Member
    Michigan Open Carry Member
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer

I am a Forum User
    Now that's worthy of a donation by "ALL" gun owners in Michigan.

I'm in.....

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

How about if I just go ahead and finally renew my membership? I do hereby request you don't need to send me any of the member stuff.

Thanks for the donation
    Michigan Gun Owners Member
    Michigan Open Carry Member
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Range Safety Officer

I am a Forum User
    Kudos, MGO. Let me stand on my head as I read the complaint. (Look at the PDF)

Thanks to all that have sent in Donations to the Legal Defense Fund, Keep em coming, Guys!!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Complaint Right-side-up.

Here it is right-side-up:

MGO vs AAPS.pdf
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

MGO Member

Lawsuit challenges Ann Arbor schools' gun ban

featuring one of our very own!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ools/26528953/

Is it reasonable for teachers and parents to worry that a person is openly carrying a gun around kindergartners in a public school? Maybe; but gun-rights buffs in Michigan beg to differ.

635658368122476990-LaitnerBuy Photo
    (Photo: Bill Laitner, Detroit Free Press)
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    State law give broad rights to carry a firearm openly in Michigan.
    Those with a CPL %u2014 concealed pistol license %u2014 can carry a handgun, but openly, in restricted areas.
    Gun-rights buffs say a CPL holder can carry openly in public schools; but a few schools object.
    A statewide gun-rights group this week sued the Ann Arbor Public Schools over its new weapons ban.
    CONNECT
    TWEET
    LINKEDIN
    COMMENT
    EMAIL
    MORE
    A statewide gun-rights group and a father with children in the Ann Arbor schools are suing the school district over its new policies that ban firearms on school grounds.

The lawsuit, filed in Washtenaw County Circuit Court, comes just as a crowd of about 500 gun-rights advocates are expected Wednesday at the annual Second Amendment March around the Capitol Building in Lansing. After hearing speakers, the crowd of pistol packers customarily stride into the chambers of state lawmakers, prominently bearing their arm.

"We like to remind the legislators who we are and what our rights are," said Jim Makowski, a Dearborn lawyer who filed the lawsuit and said he personally served it Monday afternoon at the offices of Ann Arbor Public Schools. Makowski planned to march Wednesday in Lansing and is scheduled to speak from the Capitol steps.

DETROIT FREE PRESS
    Priest says no more gun classes at Ann Arbor parish

The lawsuit challenges the Ann Arbor school board's three rulings on April 15: Policy 5400 lets the superintendent close schools and cancel events if staff see any dangerous weapons, including a handgun; Policy 5410 designates all school property as "Dangerous Weapon & Disruption-free Zones"; and Policy 5420 says no one possessing a dangerous weapon, including a handgun, can be on school property, with exceptions being police officers or individuals hand-picked by the superintendent.

Gun-rights advocates contend that the three policies violate state laws regarding gun possession on public property, including school grounds. State law allows a gun owner to openly carry a firearm on school property and other so-called "pistol-free zones" if the owner has a concealed pistol license, said State Rep. Jeff Irwin, D-Ann Arbor. In addition, another state law — called the pre-emption statute — says that no local unit of government, such as a school district, may pass gun regulations in conflict with state law.

Irwin said he is not bothered by people openly carrying firearms, but he said "the problem is, how do you tell the difference between a violent armed attackers and a frightened patriotic type who is living in fear and wants to carry a gun all the time?"

Ann Arbor school officials could not be reached Tuesday to comment on the lawsuit. But in recent statements, the district repeatedly said that its board members, administrators and other school staff want the schools to be "weapon-free zones."

DETROIT FREE PRESS
    Bill would shut Michigan open-carry gun loophole

According to the district's web site, "Michigan law authorizes school districts to exercise considerable power to ensure proper operation of their schools according to the Revised School Code." The web site goes on to say: "Public School Districts may restrict the exercise of certain constitutional rights, so long as those restrictions are reasonably related to legitimate education concerns such as causing disruption to the educational campus, activity or event."

Letting schools suspend the Constitution amounts to fighting words for the plaintiffs in the lawsuit — the Michigan Gun Owners, a group of hundreds of gun-rights advocates; and Ulysses Wong, father of a 15-year-old son and 10-year-old daughter in the Ann Arbor schools.

Wong, a computer technician for a medical-billing agency, said he would like to carry a gun when picking up his children from school but fears that school officials will call the police. He said he'd been carrying a gun for about seven years but did not wear one into a school because state law requires that it be worn in the open. He'd prefer to carry it concealed under his coat, he said. Wong's wife doesn't carry a gun but supports him in the lawsuit, he said.

"My wife, when I said I wanted to file this lawsuit, she basically said do what I believe is right," Wong said.

Makowski, who lives in Riverview, also is the father of two school-age children. He said 70% of his practice involves defending clients in firearms cases. His license plate reads GUNLWYR. Like many gun owners, he insisted that the Ann Arbor schools would be safer with licensed gun-owners carrying their weapons inside the buildings.

And he said that banning guns in a school or anywhere else won't stop a criminal from entering with a firearm.

Speaking sarcastically, he said: "Of course, someone with evil intent is going to stay away from the Ann Arbor Public Schools because they have banned guns."

Contact Bill Laitner: blaitner@freepress.com or 313-223-4485.

Banned
    GOOD. Sue them for MILLIONS. Make them broke, get people fired, possibly arrested. GIT EM!

Mods Please Merge this thread with one of the others, I think this is number 3 or 4
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast