Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine

MGO Member

M1 Carbine

Is the M1 Carbine a viable choice to participate in Appleseed?

I am a Forum User
    If you can afford the ammo. lol The only thing that might be an issue is what types of sights are on the carbine. Are they the original L shaped rear sights or the late WWII / Korean War adjustable sights?

Depending on how much 22 ammo you might have stocked up a Ruger 10/22 with Tech sights would be a much better choice.

MGO Member
    Yes, an M1 carbine is actually a pretty good choice for Appleseed. Might want to replace the sling with something that can be made into a loop sling but otherwise (not withstanding the price of ammo) they are good rifles. One thing is to come out to an Appleseed, borrow a .22 and see what you think.

The only issue is that one range we use (specifically at Lapeer) won't allow centerfire rifles in their pistol bays.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Garymac View Post
    Yes, an M1 carbine is actually a pretty good choice for Appleseed. Might want to replace the sling with something that can be made into a loop sling but otherwise (not withstanding the price of ammo) they are good rifles. One thing is to come out to an Appleseed, borrow a .22 and see what you think.

The only issue is that one range we use (specifically at Lapeer) won't allow centerfire rifles in their pistol bays.
    Gary have you guys ever had any issues with front sight post height on the M1 Carbine while shooting at 25 yards?

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by durus5995 View Post
    Gary have you guys ever had any issues with front sight post height on the M1 Carbine while shooting at 25 yards?
    We don't see many of them on the line so I can't really say. I've not tried mine at an Appleseed, perhaps I should.

MGO Member
    Thanks guys.

I don't have a 10/22 nor do I have copious amounts of 22LR. The 22 I do have doesn't have sling swivel studs in the stock. So, I am unable to attach a sling.

While looking for 22LR on-line it seems like the most available 22LR is target ammo like Eley Tenex. .30 Carbine ammo is about the same cost as target 22 LR.

If I can figure out how to sling it for Appleseed I might give the M1 Carbine a go.

I am a Forum User
    Slings and swivels: http://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page13.html

The 3:00 sling mounting location on the carbine is going to cause some canting of the rifle. You could always use the RWVA patented zip-tie sling attachment around the barrel, that has worked on many 10/22's and Marlin 60's.

MGO Member
    I ran my M1 carbine at the Apple Seed I participated in a few years ago. I didn't have any problems running it. I did use around 400 rounds of ammo if I remember correctly but I reload my own so it wasn't so expensive.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jolari View Post
    I ran my M1 carbine at the Apple Seed I participated in a few years ago. I didn't have any problems running it. I did use around 400 rounds of ammo if I remember correctly but I reload my own so it wasn't so expensive.
    How did you sling it?

MGO Member
    I'd say bring it. We'll figure a way to mount a loop sling on it and if it doesn't work, we'll lend you a .22 to shoot.

BTW, I just looked at my carbine. I have a loop sling with a 1" wide J hook on it which will hook onto the front sling mount. I'll try and post a photo later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast