Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MGO Member Forum User
    They will use an eye drop anesthetic to numb the surface of your eye. You will also get an IV sedative, typically versed. Versed makes you very relaxed and many patients feel elevated mood or giddy, sometimes euphoric. It is also a mild amnesiac, so many patients have a hard time recalling too many of the details of the actual procedure. It's also a very good anti-anxiety drug. I refer to it as the "I don't give a s__t drug."

Many patients will feel a sensation of pressure during the procedure, but not pain, perhaps mild discomfort. It will feel a little scratchy for a day or two.

They will likely tell you your vision will take a week or two to stabilize, so don't be alarmed if it's not super sharp the first few days...

this is not medical advice, I'm not your doctor, blah blah blah, more legal mumbo jumbo, do your own due diligence, yada yada...

Good luck, have fun and take your drops religiously.

troy rhodes, O.D.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
    There are more or less 4 options with cataract surgery:

Distance only implants. They will try to get you so you can drive with no correction. This is not possible if you have high amounts of certain kinds of astigmatism unless you get a special toric IOL implant (several thousand extra). They usually get it pretty dang close. You might need mild driving glasses, or someday driving glasses.

Reading only implants. Let's say you're a world class crossword puzzle, and that's what you do for 10 hours a day. They can put single vision implants in both eyes that give you great vision at 16-20" and you put glasses on to drive or watch tv.

Mix and match (Monovision) they correct one eye for distance and make the other eye nearsighted so you don't have to jack around with reading glasses 200 times a day. It's not super clear anywhere, but it's pretty good every where. We do the same thing with contacts. If you want this, you could try it in contacts first before you get it installed permanantly.

Bifocal implants. They work like bifocal contacts, NOT like bifocal glasses. You don't have to jack around with reading glasses, but you ABSOLUTELY WILL see halos around headlights and tail lights and street lights. It's a little blurry at some distances, but not bad. They cost a few thousand extra also. You can't have super high expectations about crispness and sharpness, but it's not bad.
    What about PCIOLs or ACIOLs (presbyopia correcting/anterior chamber intra ocular lenses)? They are supposed to be multi focal and would likely have similar halos.

Why would'nt that be a 5th option?

Quote Originally Posted by tenthumbs View Post
    Good luck Ruger! Hope all goes well.

Thank you Sir....

Quote Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
    They will use an eye drop anesthetic to numb the surface of your eye. You will also get an IV sedative, typically versed. Versed makes you very relaxed and many patients feel elevated mood or giddy, sometimes euphoric. It is also a mild amnesiac, so many patients have a hard time recalling too many of the details of the actual procedure. It's also a very good anti-anxiety drug. I refer to it as the "I don't give a s__t drug."

Many patients will feel a sensation of pressure during the procedure, but not pain, perhaps mild discomfort. It will feel a little scratchy for a day or two.

They will likely tell you your vision will take a week or two to stabilize, so don't be alarmed if it's not super sharp the first few days...

this is not medical advice, I'm not your doctor, blah blah blah, more legal mumbo jumbo, do your own due diligence, yada yada...

Good luck, have fun and take your drops religiously.

troy rhodes, O.D.

Thanks Troy, I was very hesitant until you posted! The Dr. that looked at my eyes told me I had to know there was something going on with my left eye because of the cloudiness.... I told him I usually hold off to the last second before caring for myself and that my wife's eyes and other health issues were more important then mine. Like all of my Dr.s he just shook his head. Thanks again, we're lucky to have you here for the advice and the reassurance.

MGO Member Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    What about PCIOLs or ACIOLs (presbyopia correcting/anterior chamber intra ocular lenses)? They are supposed to be multi focal and would likely have similar halos.

Why would'nt that be a 5th option?
    "Multifocal" and "bifocal" implants are the same thing but with better marketing in some cases.

Mutifocal implants look pretty good at two distances, and not terrible at other distancs. It's the same technology as multifocal contacts. The vision doesn't suck, usually mostly. It's pretty convenient if you're standards aren't too picky and you will see halos around every light source at night.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger View Post
    Thank you Troy, great explanation of what the process appeared to be to me. I'm hoping to get my vision back to a point where I don't have 5 pair of glasses all over the house and in my car.
    In addition to the great explanation already given ill offer this as a LASIK patient.

In order to see patients, both pre and post surgery and still perform the surgeries Docs typically schedule all of their procedures for one or two days a week. This allows them to be efficient at both patient visits and the procedures as they don't have to constantly switch back and forth throughout the day loosing time and focus on task in doing so.

They'll schedule all of their procedures as already explained, back to back to back and knock them out. Days before and after are spent in exams both routine, pre and post surgery. It's the best most efficient use of their time and resources.
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I do not think you should expect 20/20. Is that realistic, is it something 60-90 percent of the people get ?

If you are 70 with good eyes, or good with glasses on, why risk it ? If you can shoot one inch groups I assume at 100 yards with your not so crazy rifle, just a ruger 77, win 70, savage 110 etc what more do you need?

I am a Forum User
    I have been wearing thick glasses since I was 10 years old,extremely far sighted,with strong astigmatism.

But,with today's amazing technology,and custom made implants,the best thing that ever happened to me was having cataract surgery a year ago,almost to this day.

I now have 20/20 vision in both eyes,and don't need any glasses,other than sunglasses,or shooting glasses.

I was fortunate that one of the world's best ophthalmologists is in Traverse City.
    ...Guy has a PhD. from Harvard,plus additional work at Mass. Eye Institute.

Everything was done by his gifted hands,no computer at all.
    I was mostly fully conscious for the whole thing,and had both eyes done about two weeks apart.

Truly a life changing event.
    ...For me anyway.

P.S. I have a more lengthy post on this from about a year ago that more fully explains my experience.

...Here's looking at ya!
    Last edited by Smokepole; 09-15-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Has anyone else spotted that this is a 5 year old thread, brought back with a first post by a guy that has a location of "New York"?

IP check in "Optics Forum" please.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

SW of Grand Rapids, surrounded by chickens, Detroit some weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkellyK View Post
    You must talk to user doctor. Sometime after cataract surgery some patient face the problem of double vission and it is because of neuro-adaptation. exercises to enhance neuro adaptation.
    In English please?
    “Cui prodest?” Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast