Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

New Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium

First, Let me begin by saying that I am an experienced and well-informed gun owner and enthusiast, so I don't need to be educated about Taurus handguns and how anyone who purchases a Taurus "must be an idiot". That being said, I suspect that there will be some Taurus-bashers unable to resist posting to this thread. To that end, I have donned my Nomex underwear, so flame away! To be fair, I do know that Taurus has had it's problems in the past, and there are people who have had legitimate negative experiences with some (mostly revolvers, I believe) models.

My goal was to find a reasonably-priced 9mm semi-auto for my daughter to have as a home-defense firearm. My plan includes setting up the gun with a rail-mounted laser/light combo. My daughter is not a gun enthusiast, so the gun I choose will spend most of it's time secured in a handgun safe under the bed, and fired maybe 2-3 times a year. I cannot afford an expensive gun (Glock, Sig, M&P, etc.) that will be unused most of the time, however, the gun I choose must be reliable, simple to use, and easy to rack the slide.

After considerable research (online reviews, YouTube reviews, etc.) I was unable to find a single negative review of the Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium. Hickock45 even gave it a glowing review (except he didn't care for the trigger break with his very large hands.)

Not being able to find any negative reviews, I went ahead and purchased one. I bought the gun from Palmetto State Armory for ONLY $199.00!!. They have them on sale occasionally at this price and I was able to snap one up. The list price is around $350.00 and Bud's, Grag-A-Gun, and other online retailers have them in the $230.00-$260.00 range, so I think I got a really good deal. Even after shipping and FFL fee, I was all-in for only $235.00!

The gun comes with 2 magazines, and a key for the Taurus built in security lock (which we will NOT be using). The gun comes with an adjustable rear sight (windage and elevation).

This morning I took it to the range. I ran around 150 rounds through it (combination of 115 & 124gr. FMJ range fodder and 124gr. HST JHP +P's). Right out of the box, the gun ran flawlessly, not a single malfunction. The gun was soft-shooting and dead-nuts accurate. The gun has re-strike capability. In the event a round does not fire, you simply pull the trigger again in DA mode. The SA trigger pull is characterized by a fairly long take-up and then a crisp break at the rear.

I plan to add a laser/light combo on the rail. I am researching those presently, and am looking for something fairly inexpensive. I would welcome any input in that regard.

In summary, let me say that I am not a Taurus fan-boy. This was my first (and likely only) Taurus purchase. The gun is well-made and reliable. It is however, a budget gun and I frankly would not be interested in having one in my personal collection, as I have many other guns that fill the same role. For its intended use however (moderately-priced home defense gun for my daughter) it is a good choice.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am a Forum User
    i bought a the G2 PT111 9mm a few weeks ago, and have not had a issue... the gun is great for a CC gun, and is accurate as hell too.... the only ammo i had issues with was Tulammo steel case..

the gun shot the ammo just fine.. but the magazine's for some reason after 6 rounds, would one round wouldnt sit right so it wouldnt feed.. but i've shot a lot of the Tulammo brass maxx, and have not had any issue at all....

not that i am shooting steel case all the time, i just was going thru and testing a bunch of different ammo in my handguns to see what works and what doesnt.... and this was the only hiccup i've had... which it's hard to lay the blame..... is it the ammo or the magazine lol.... my Canik 9mm shoots the steel case tulammo like it's nothing..

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Hi DLYskes...regarding the steel tulammo...I have an xds 9mm (Springfield) and was told not to shoot steel or re-man ammo, so I haven't but have been able to find aluminum cased for the same or better price and the aluminum seems real clean...no hickcups....freedom munitions has real good prices on Brass...have a great day...and thanks for info on Taurus...my gunsmith is high on Taurus...

I am a Forum User
    i looked at this gun last weekend at the GS, i really want to get it just based on price alone, will it replace my EDC XD-s .45? maybe maybe not, but even for a range gun you cant beat the price

I am a Forum User
    Does it come in polished stainless with gold accents???

MGO Member
    Hopefully you will never need to send it back for repairs. They have had mine for 9 1/2 months and can't be bothered to repair or replace it. At this point I have offered to take a different model and pay the difference but they won't do that either. Keep that in mind when doing business with Taurus.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maustin195 View Post
    Hopefully you will never need to send it back for repairs. They have had mine for 9 1/2 months and can't be bothered to repair or replace it. At this point I have offered to take a different model and pay the difference but they won't do that either. Keep that in mind when doing business with Taurus.
    Is it a PT-111 G2?

Sent from my SM-T357T using Tapatalk

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I've owned a G2 PT111 9mm and PT22 22lr. Bought one in Novi and one in Birch Run, both pretty inexpensive, both fun and both pretty dependable (the 22 burped a few times, no biggie) at this point. Hope neither weapon needs service. Quickly about service....Ruger stood by their weapon brilliantly

I am a Forum User
    pulled the $199 trigger

waiting for it to ship

detailed report after some range time with it

I am a Forum User
    About 150 rounds through mine, been great so far. I really dislike the trigger though. Having a hard time getting use to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast