Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder

Black Powder

Since I've sold my 44 Mag, I'm thinking of going with a black powder rifle. I pretty much have my mind set on a CVA Optima V. 2 50 cal. - black synthetic stock with a stainless barrel. Opinions? Comments?
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

Banned

MGO Member Forum User
    I have a buddy that has the CVA you mentioned with a thumbhole stock. He is very happy with it BUT. He said if he were to buy another one he would not get a thumbhole stock. You have to pull your thumb out of the stock to cock the hammer. Dunham's has the black/stainless thumbhole for $299 and the camo/stainless regular stock for $349. Both packages have scopes.
    Hope that helps.

I am a Forum User
    CVA has really stepped up their quality over the last few years. The Optima is a great gun & very accurate. If you're going to scope it go with the thumb hole stock, if not go with the straight stock. If you're shooting BH209 you'll need the Western Powders BH209 plug.
    I would avoid TC. They were a great company but since S&W bought them out their customer service is atrocious. They also continue to drop models from their line. I would also recommend that you buy a gun without the scope because the Konus scopes are not known for durability. If you can afford a better scope, buy one. I can put ypu in touch with the best guy you'll ever deal with along with the best prices & he will have the gun all set up for you.

Greg

Thanks, everyone for your input. Keep them coming!
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

Account Closed Forum User
    This place will have everything you every want to know about ML or BP.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/**.../fusionbb.php?

There is a local BP shop in Alma MI.

I am a Forum User
    frontiermuzzleloading.com

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorman View Post
    This place will have everything you every want to know about ML or BP.

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/**.../fusionbb.php?

There is a local BP shop in Alma MI.
    That forum is very much to do with TRADITIONAL muzzle loading.

Even though the OP used the words "black powder rifle", that is not what he is looking for.

He is looking for others' experience with a particular CVA model, and then recommendations for other Polycarbonatestockedstainlesssteelbarreled209prime dinlineactionopticmountedmuzzleloaderinnameonly muzzle loader for deer season.

I am pretty sure that he is not looking for a traditional muzzle loader.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    I am pretty sure that he is not looking for a traditional muzzle loader.
    Oh, how I long for 1975.
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Oh, how I long for 1975.
    1975, like in when the law said ".44 caliber or larger, patched round ball? And you could recognize the style at a glance?

Or;

1775, when few laws of the such existed at all?

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast