Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by Roundballer View Post
    1975, like in when the law said ".44 caliber or larger, patched round ball? And you could recognize the style at a glance?

Or;

1775, when few laws of the such existed at all?
    No, we need laws. Sensible ones that don't get out of hand.
    I think it may be time for a "Traditional Firearm Season" in Michigan again. All modern "muzzle loaders" can be used during the regular firearm season but that special period - After the first week of December on - is reserved for TRADITIONAL firearms. I'd even vote for flint and sttel only (if you showed me how to use one!)

As far as the CVA goes, I saw a commercial the other day for CVA that said CVA guarantees that the inside of their barrel will not rust. I haven't heard anyone else make that claim. Good for CVA!
    "But then there are plenty of gun folks who think no one should rock the boat because it might piss off the anti gun crowd/politicians and cause even more gun control." - Bikenut
    Submissive gun rights advocates need to lose their submissiveness before we lose our 2A rights.

Banned
    CVA is adding the latest in high-tech barrel treatments to two of our Bergara Barrel equipped muzzleloaders

the application of this new barrel technology in the premium ACCURA MR and ACCURA V2 THUMBHOLE

Bergara AR barrels have a less than stellar reputation. Maybe the frontstuffers are different?

It does sound like a great idea.

http://www.cva.com/nitride-gun-finish.php

TC uses them
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=469

http://www.fieldandstream.com/answer...perience-how-b
    http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/ri...a-barrels.html

Maybe CVA and Bergara barrels are OK
    Last edited by hunterspirit; 10-19-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Account Closed Forum User
    Mike Bellingham, he knows his **** when it comes to the TC Encores and .357 Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    No, we need laws. Sensible ones that don't get out of hand.
    I think it may be time for a "Traditional Firearm Season" in Michigan again. All modern "muzzle loaders" can be used during the regular firearm season but that special period - After the first week of December on - is reserved for TRADITIONAL firearms. I'd even vote for flint and sttel only (if you showed me how to use one!)

As far as the CVA goes, I saw a commercial the other day for CVA that said CVA guarantees that the inside of their barrel will not rust. I haven't heard anyone else make that claim. Good for CVA!
    Pennsylvania has such law for their "muzzle loading" season:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=591283&mode=2

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel long-guns .44 caliber or larger, or hanguns .50 caliber or larger with a flintlock ignition system. The firearm must be an original or reproduction of a gun used prior to 1800, with iron, open "V" or notched sights (fiber-optic inserts are permitted). A flintlock ignition system consists of a hammer containing a naturally-occurring stone which is spring-propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen, which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a gunpowder. Flintlock muzzleloader hunters may use "any single projectile," including sabots, and mini and maxi balls.
    They have revised that some, it didn't used to have the language about the sights in there. You could find flint-lock rifles, with plastic stocks and stainless barrels, with scopes mounted on them.

Still, even under these laws, this is what you get:

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Thanks for the comments and links.
    Formerly Known As RevDerb since 2008 with 9,457 posts.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    http://revderb.blogspot.com John 5:24 <><

I am a Forum User
    I have a newer CVA Optima .50 cal. It's black & stainless and came with the cheap Konus scope. It's the best gun I have. Wouldn't change a thing, including the scope. I run 150 gr. of pyrodex (pellets) with 300 gr. TC sabbots. Absolute tack driver and with the break action, it's even a breeze to clean.

Just a perfect firearm. Accurate, reliable, and rarely do I need to do any tracking whatsoever.

I don't think I'd go with the thumb-hole stock. Keep it simple.

H
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta Demoni View Post
    I have a newer CVA Optima .50 cal. It's black & stainless and came with the cheap Konus scope. It's the best gun I have. Wouldn't change a thing, including the scope. I run 150 gr. of pyrodex (pellets) with 300 gr. TC sabbots. Absolute tack driver and with the break action, it's even a breeze to clean.

Just a perfect firearm. Accurate, reliable, and rarely do I need to do any tracking whatsoever.

I don't think I'd go with the thumb-hole stock. Keep it simple.
    Thanks, MD. My LGS ordered one in and said that if I don't take it, he won't have any problem selling it.
    VietNam era vet (USN - CTT2, USNR - CTT3), NRA Life Member, NRA Certified RSO, SAF, GOA.

I am a Forum User
    I have a 50 cal TC Omega stainless, laminate. It gets the job done on deer and has taken about 8 deer for me in the 6 or so years I have owned it. Until last year when they changed the firearm regs in the "shotgun zone", all I used down here were ML's, even during the regular firearm season.

The Omega is a nice setup. Easy to clean and accurate. Design doesn't get much simpler than an Omega and simple is good for zero fail. Feed it Blackthorn 209 and 250-300gr saboted projectiles and you will have a good shooting setup.

I have played around with my Omega a lot. Winchester 209 primers give me better accuracy than the CCI 209 Magnums almost everyone says you need to light BH209.

Another thing that makes a big difference in accuracy is weighing BH209 with a reloading scale instead of using a volumetric measure.

I have/had several other ML's ranging from Remington in-lines to side lock Hawkins. The Omega is the only one that gets any regular use.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack Addict View Post
    I have a 50 cal TC Omega stainless, laminate. It gets the job done on deer and has taken about 8 deer for me in the 6 or so years I have owned it. Until last year when they changed the firearm regs in the "shotgun zone", all I used down here were ML's, even during the regular firearm season.

The Omega is a nice setup. Easy to clean and accurate. Design doesn't get much simpler than an Omega and simple is good for zero fail. Feed it Blackthorn 209 and 250-300gr saboted projectiles and you will have a good shooting setup.

I have played around with my Omega a lot. Winchester 209 primers give me better accuracy than the CCI 209 Magnums almost everyone says you need to light BH209.

Another thing that makes a big difference in accuracy is weighing BH209 with a reloading scale instead of using a volumetric measure.

I have/had several other ML's ranging from Remington in-lines to side lock Hawkins. The Omega is the only one that gets any regular use.
    Don't do that, the density of substitutes is lower than BP. Safe loads are listed by volumetric measure.You can easily pass safe pressure points!

If you develop a loading using volume, then weigh that, and use it just for a consistency, that is okay. DO NOT use weight as a measure for max load! Use volume only.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I would like to thank everyone who offered their knowledge of muzzleloaders. As I said earlier in the thread, my LGS ordered a CVA Optima V2 in with the knowledge that I might not take it. After visiting here and a number of other sites for advice, I decided to go ahead with it. He made what I considered to be a good deal and I picked it up this afternoon. Here it is:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast