Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinRiley View Post
    What happens when your phone is dead??
    You bury it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

In Memoriam Forum User

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
    I see RFID, Biometric, Combo, Key, etc. Anyone make a Bluetooth safe? I like the idea of using my phone. They make Bluetooth deadbolts and padlocks, hopefully gun safes are coming too.
    Bluetooth Gun Safe Cracked By Researchers
    https://hackaday.com/2017/12/13/blue...y-researchers/

BlueSteal Vaultek Unlock Demo

https://youtu.be/1xrdwhisW-M

MGO LIFE Member
    If I remember correctly, (and since multitasking post/research at same time on a phone is unwieldy, I’ll rely upon memory) a number cruncher somewhere found that a surprisingly large percentage of home robberies were done by people whom either knew you directly, or alternatively indirectly knew of your habits, (3rd person information or observation of your Work schedule as a neighbor or just someone who saw your Facebook planned trip to out of state theme parks) or in some other way scoped out as a prospect. I suppose that number can be skewed by the home robberies that were not caught to inquire with the perpetrator(s) and any other number of things.

I suppose from that, there is a likelihood that your neighbor whose house is way too close for modern building codes to yours is within Bluetooth range could potentially have the skill set to find the open Bluetooth device and start tinkering, that does not necessarily mean they will rob you or even be involved in robbing you but casually mentioning at work that they pick up a Bluetooth signal at home for a safe at a neighbors house is NOT doing your home security any services.

That said, I do not like mainstream commercial safe building habits, many of these manufacturers post a UL sticker on it that hidden in the fine print refers only to the electronic lock or a battery based interior light setup. Typically they perform their own “fire” and “security” tests and some time ago found that it was cheaper to wrap sheet metal around drywall or other Sheetrock call it a “composit” charge you more for it and you’re more likely to buy it. All of the marketing materials related are chock full of blatant misleading or misinformation. The biggest drawback to electronic keypad locks is the number of cycles you can get before the buttons wear out internally and since the contacts don’t complete a circuit once that happens it’s time to cut it off. Not to mention button wear and fingerprint evidence of which numbers are used and someone knowing you’re out of state could have enough time to figure out that your five number combo is one of 5x5x5x5x5 combinations. Failing that, no organization or state or standard has been set forth in the actual security or resistance against breaking in to access contents, with one rediculous exception, (starts with C sounds like California) there is a security rating that defines a time needed to physically break into a safe and egress with its contents. Unfortunately it’s not regulated and it’s ineffective most people who work with metal, blacksmithing, welding or demolition as a hobby or for work, will have the basic knowledge necessary to break many safes within 5 minutes. Even if sometimes they don’t know it.

As for the unlikelihood that someone will hack the Bluetooth on your safe and make off with its contents, a new trend in autotheft is one individual scans your fancy keyless car keys sitting by your nightstand from outside and clones it to another device that a secondary individual can use to start your car and drive off like they own it. The car is none the wiser. For a while there was a similar trend in cloning garage door openers because of the infrequency or locking the door at the garage to house threshold (often the fire door) thenhaving free reign of the house and access to garage to store things in.. that considered, I do not think it’s a far stretch to believe that people have the capacity to spoof your Bluetooth vault, nor is it a stretch to believe people will do it.

The whole likelihood of all of this is further stretched by the frequency and likelihood of getting burglarized in your particular area..

I am a Forum User
    I prefer my safes old school. With a combination lock and no electronics.

I am a Forum User
    Me too. Every safe I look at, in my price range, send to have the stupid digital combination lock.

MGO LIFE Member
    Didn’t even see that this was an old thread

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    If you will trust a an RFID gun safe then would you trust your guns to be RFID?

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdaletri View Post
    Seriously or jokingly?

Absolutely serious!
    Last edited by gjgalligan; 05-20-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Never heard of such safes thanks for the information!

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

saw this article last night...
    the company that made a fingerprint activated "smart padlock" that was so insecure it was broadcasting its own password, and could be hacked in 2 seconds, has been hacked again. This time somebody attacked their cloud server, found that logging in on your own account would let you access the accounts of EVERYBODY else. From there, you could find out who they were registered to, where the gps had last reported them to be located, and unlock them remotely... or not remotely since you had their location and could just go there.

leave the "smart" tech to kids who want to protect notebooks and a gym clothes.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jjk454ss View Post
    Me too. Every safe I look at, in my price range, send to have the stupid digital combination lock.
    If you mean a full size (think big enough for long guns) you can easily change the lock to a combination lock. You can buy a "new take out" combination lock for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new one. Many safe buyers WANT the electronic lock and pay to have it installed for their combination lock. On the mechanical lock the combination can be changed too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast