Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

MGO Member

Reds Bore Cleaner

Has anyone used Reds Bore Cleaner. From what I have read, it can be homemade and works well. Brownells sells it by the bottle.

I am a Forum User
    Are you referring to what is commonly known as "Ed's Red"?
    ...If so, I have the formula.
    CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS
    #64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or
    equivalent, (aka "Varsol")

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
    substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)
    Last edited by Smokepole; 01-07-2016 at 11:39 AM.

MGO Board of Directors

Ill be making some up when my .308 barrel starts to have too much fouling and groups open up. I have heard great things about this stuff, and I already have all the fluids to be mixed.

MGO Member
    I still have about 3 gallons of it, I made a 4 gallon batch of it years ago. It is great for when you buy "new" C&R rifles. Strip the rifles down to the action and remove all metal. put in large PVC tube, and fill tube with Ed's Red. Then let it soak for a couple days, and the cosmolene will have melted off, after remiving from the solution and scrubbing, let it air dry, and your left with a coating of ATF/Kerosene that protects from rusting and the rifle will clean up nicely. It does have a string odor, so it is for garage use only at my house. But the stuff works great for mild cleaning.
    Jason Ebig
    L & L Arms LLC
    586-321-6056
    01 FFL & Class 3 SOT Dealer

MGO Member Forum User
    Used it for years. Love it. It's worth it to hunt down the optional lanolin--better and longer protection from rust.

Also, the price per liter, or ounce or quart, is a tiny tiny tiny fraction of any of the commercial products.

I am a Forum User
    I have used it as penetrating oi for rusted nuts and bolts on old automobiles...usually works.

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Multi purpose

I've made the non-acetone erosion and found it works great- as previously suggested, I also use I as a multi-purpose lube and penetrating oil. If you just use it on guns, a gallon will last a VERY LONG TIME. Best of luck.

I am a Forum User
    I've been using it the past few months & one concern is that it may not work that well on copper fouling,
    from jacketed bullets. but It does a good job or carbon deposits, as well as powder residue.

I am a Forum User
    Most commercial bore cleaners remove copper with ammonia or active sulphur compounds. These agents work best in an aqueous solution. In a petroleum-based solution, they require humidity to act upon copper deposits. Why Hoppes' Number 9 is so slow.