Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Thread: New - 5 days

I can't post links yet! Forum User

New - 5 days

With the new rules in place for issuance of CPL's as of December 1st 2015, I was really curious as to how long this process was going to take. The County and State say they have up to 45 days to issue a CPL after application and that sure seemed like a long time to me.

So here is my experience.... if you care to read.

To begin, I did my CPL class with Tactical Range Solutions out of Saginaw. Wow, was that a great experience and I would certainly recommend anyone that is looking for a class to look into these guys. They are great people and wonderful instructors. You should be able to locate them with a simple Google search.

The class work was done in the Saginaw FOP hall and the shooting was done at the Saginaw Police Departments indoor range. Matt Shapley is the lead instructor and does a great job keeping everyone in the class (regardless to your current level) focused and involved. Matt is really knowledgeable and has a lot of practical experience that he willingly shares to help educate everyone. Don't let his young looking face fool you, Matt is extremely experienced and knowledgeable.

Mike Jarabek handled the legal end of the training and provided more information from his experiences as a retired Saginaw Police officer than any other instructor in the State could have ever done. Mike was a lot of fun and was more than willing to share his past experiences and his insight from the perspective of a law enforcement officer. Mike is a great guy and very approachable.

I left the class with the feeling that Tactical Range Solutions really wants all their students to be safe, reliable, and educated gun owners. I have been around guns of all types for over 40 years and I learned a lot from this class.

Okay, enough of the commercial. I just really felt Tactical Range Solutions deserved an honest evaluation and I wanted to include this in my post.

I took my CPL class on Saturday December 19, 2015. On Monday afternoon (December 21) I went to the Saginaw County Clerks office to submit my application. The girls in the clerks office were all very pleasant and willing to help me out. I was in that office for no more than 10 minutes and my application was completed, signed, and submitted with the Clerk.

My next step was to have my fingerprinting done in order that the State Police could do my background check. To do this I simply walked from the Saginaw County Clerks office to the Saginaw County Sherriff's department. I didn't even need to move my vehicle to do that, I just walked across the parking lot to the Sherriff's department.

The girls in the Sherriff's department were very busy, but had me fingerprinted and out of there in about 15 minutes.

That was the end of what I needed to do in order to get my CPL issued. It only took about 35 minutes total to work with the County Clerk and the Sherriff's department, which really went pretty smoothly and was no drama at all. Now it was just a waiting game. All the paperwork stated that it could take up to 45 days to be issues (or declined) and with a new process in place for issuing, I expected to wait a while.

Saturday (December 26) morning came along and when my wife brought the mail in from the box she told me there was something addressed to me. Now I had only applied for my CPL 5 days earlier and Christmas was right in the middle of that week, so by no means was I thinking CPL. In fact, it was the farthest thing from my mind.

To my surprise I received my CPL on Saturday December 26 after submitting my application and fingerprints on the afternoon of December 21. The photo that is on my CPL is the photo that is on my drivers license. Looking closely at my CPL it states that it was issued on Wednesday December 23, only 2 days after making application. The balance of time was for mailing it to me and even Christmas didn't seem to slow it down.

I had a great experience, from the class that Tactical Range Solutions provided; to working with the Saginaw County Clerks office; to working with the Saginaw County Sherriff's department on fingerprinting (which was an electronic printing-no ink); in obtaining my CPL.

I hope others have similar experiences and remain safe and educated once receiving a CPL. There are more advanced classes to take in order to increase ones gun safety and knowledge and I plan on doing so in the near future.

MGO Member
    Wow. That's great. Maybe the day will come where you will walk out with your CPL on the same visit.

Congrats!

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-2many View Post
    Wow. That's great. Maybe the day will come where you will walk out with your CPL on the same visit.

Congrats!
    I don't think allowing for some time in order to verify those applying for CPL are eligible to receive one is necessarily unreasonable. Having a CPL is a privilege in Michigan and not simply a right. It does take a little time to verify that the application is correct and accurate as well as verifying the applicant does qualify.

In my case the process was rather quick and I would hope that is the case most of the time.

I have lived in Michigan my entire life and I have no criminal activity on my record. I'm sure that was a factor in my quick turn around. The State Police background check on me must have been simple allowing them to get back with the Saginaw County clerks office for them to complete the issuance of the CPL.

Computers can be a good thing when they are working properly!

MGO Board of Directors

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to MGO's forums!
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I submitted my renewal today. We will see what the time frame is for this.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Just tryin ta keep it real !!