Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I am a Forum User
    Buffman, thank you to you and your friend, it arrived today. The piece feels very solid and surprisingly lightweight. It's rigid and sturdy, and actually feels like it could be a production component using whatever your friend's printer is using. The nylon looks clean, and overall it's a good part. However, to this particular design, there is enough finishing required that a Version 1.1 needs to be made.

1.) The hole for the safety detent and spring needs to continue down through the grip. This hole needs to be continuous and part of the design otherwise its like drilling through marrow. Half of the hole's length should be made larger to facilitate the threading in of a hex plug to retain the spring.

2.) The bore for the buffer tube printed about 7-8 thousandths too small, this should be incorporated into ver1.1 to account for the printer's excess when printing a tube.

3.) The hole for the grip screw, at least down to the ledge where it anchors the stock, needs to be about 0.420" in diameter to still clear the grip screw, perhaps larger for other grip screws. Maybe make it an even 0.450"

4.) The stock cap, while secure, may as well be sealed as far as accessing the internal compartment. It is also a solid chunk and should be reduced. As close as the tolerances are when the pieces are printed, this only needs about 3/8" or less of spline engagement. The rest can be removed and a bevel created to smooth the line of the stock.

5.) End-cap needs vertical striations on the buttpad portion. This is a niggle.

6.) The bevel for the screw at the end of the stock needs to be deeper. I measure the opening at 0.480", where the two end screws I have measure at just under a half inch. The bevel should be deepened until the opening is in the 0.505"-0.515" range.

I am a Forum User
    Update, Tried mounting it and I *really* like how this thing feels in the hand. I only had it dry fitted to a lower but it feels really good in the grip hand.

A couple more points on the design:

7.) The design should be made in two parts. The fore half, which should be cut off at a vertical line drawn to the rear face of the receiver extension, and the back half. The back half should be at the same fill % at the fore half, but the fore half should be filled 75%-100%. This is mainly for rigidity in the grip screw area.

8.) The buttstock storage compartment is fairly useless to be honest. It is very slim and will not even fit a AA. The buttpad component should be seen more as hollow weight-savings than useable storage. This is another niggle to be worked out after the primary issues are resolved.

9.) The part that butts against the receiver extension is 1/16" short and will need a spacer plate in order to properly retain the spring and compress the stock for strength. Or the design should be altered to accommodate.

Ohhhhh I really want this to work. I'mma have to spend some time on my day off toying with the design and trying to re-learn autocad.

I am a Forum User
    I had the day off and was still recovering from a migrane, so I was not going to work on my car.

I got the stock mounted. Was able to hone out the buffer tube with sandpaper. A set screw climbed up through the "marrow" from underneath the drill-through for the safety detent and spring, and embedded itself enough into the existing bore to hold it off. I ended-up being lazy and drilled and tapped the lower to put a set screw in the aft takedown detent hole.

10.) This design needs a A1-length fixed stock screw.

11.) The grip screw will anchor in, but the threaded shank should be no more than 1/2" long. Unsure of what it does to anchor the grip portion.

12.) This is a very comfortable stock to use, but it does require a different motion to take the safety on and off. It is more akin to the motion one would need top actuate the thumb safety on a Tantal rather than a AR-15. The stock would need relieving in the web of the thumb area, and at that point one may as well re-design the stock to dispense with the web altogether.

End conclusion: Someone needs to put this into production.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234