Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Angry new 80 days and counting

I applied nov 4th and still nothing. I work while the clerk is open so i haven't been able to follow up in person and nobody will tell me anything over the phone at all. Talk about frustrating!

Update: I Went to the county clerk and they printed my license on the spot. TLDR: anyone who applied in the first two weeks of November wont receive theirs in the mail.
    Last edited by natetheknife; 01-25-2016 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Updated info

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by natetheknife View Post
    I applied nov 4th and still nothing. I work while the clerk is open so i haven't been able to follow up in person and nobody will tell me anything over the phone at all. Talk about frustrating!
    Unfortunately, this means you have either been forever lost in the process (due to clerical error, lost paperwork, etc)…or…you for some reason are an "exception" case that need additional attention…and chances are, your file got set aside indefinitely in order to process the "easy" files.

Bottom line is…since it has been 60+ days…your only option may be to go the the Clerk's Office to find out what went wrong.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Unfortunately, this means you have either been forever lost in the process (due to clerical error, lost paperwork, etc)…or…you for some reason are an "exception" case that need additional attention…and chances are, your file got set aside indefinitely in order to process the "easy" files.

Bottom line is…since it has been 60+ days…your only option may be to go the the Clerk's Office to find out what went wrong.

Thanks, thats my current plan. Now that we're out of holiday season i should have some down time to go follow up.

I am a Forum User
    Since you applied before December 1, 2015, would your application be covered under the current law?

As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425(b), if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a CPL for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state issued driver’s license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchases of firearms.”

I can certainly understand that it's important to have the permit or a good reason why it was denied but I'm wondering if you may be able to carry with the receipt for the application.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by ldryder View Post
    Since you applied before December 1, 2015, would your application be covered under the current law?

As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425(b), if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a CPL for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state issued driver’s license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchases of firearms.”

I can certainly understand that it's important to have the permit or a good reason why it was denied but I'm wondering if you may be able to carry with the receipt for the application.
    Well…I was thinking the law stated "applications submitted beginning December 1, 2015"…but it doesn't say that…

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-425b

(14) Until November 30, 2015, if the fingerprint comparison report is not received by the concealed weapon licensing board within 60 days after the fingerprint report is forwarded to the department of state police by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a temporary license to carry a concealed pistol to the applicant if the applicant is otherwise qualified for a license. Until November 30, 2015, a temporary license issued under this section is valid for 180 days or until the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10) and issues or denies issuance of a license to carry a concealed pistol as otherwise provided under this act. Until November 30, 2015, upon issuance or the denial of issuance of the license to carry a concealed pistol to an applicant who received a temporary license under this section, the applicant shall immediately surrender the temporary license to the concealed weapon licensing board that issued that temporary license. Beginning December 1, 2015, if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued under subsection (13) within 45 days after the date the applicant has classifiable fingerprints taken under subsection (9), the receipt issued under subsection (9) shall serve as a concealed pistol license for purposes of this act when carried with a state-issued driver license or personal identification card and is valid until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk.
    So, I believe you are indeed correct…except…

(9) An individual, after submitting an application and paying the fee prescribed under subsection (5), shall request that classifiable fingerprints be taken by the county clerk, department of state police, county sheriff, a local police agency, or other entity, if the county clerk, department of state police, county sheriff, local police agency, or other entity provides fingerprinting capability for the purposes of this act. Beginning December 1, 2015, an individual who has had classifiable fingerprints taken under section 5a(4) does not need additional fingerprints taken under this subsection. If the individual requests that classifiable fingerprints be taken by the county clerk, department of state police, county sheriff, a local police agency, or other entity, the individual shall also pay a fee of $15.00 by any method of payment accepted for payments of other fees and penalties. A county clerk shall deposit any fee it accepts under this subsection in the concealed pistol licensing fund of that county created in section 5x. The county clerk, department of state police, county sheriff, local police agency, or other entity shall take the fingerprints within 5 business days after the request. County clerks, the department of state police, county sheriffs, local police agencies, and other entities shall provide reasonable access to fingerprinting services during normal business hours as is necessary to comply with the requirements of this act if the county clerk, department of state police, county sheriff, local police agency, or other entity provides fingerprinting capability for the purposes of this act. Beginning December 1, 2015, the entity providing fingerprinting services shall issue the applicant a receipt at the time his or her fingerprints are taken. Beginning December 1, 2015, the county clerk, department of state police, county sheriff, local police agency, or other entity shall not provide a receipt under this subsection unless the individual requesting the fingerprints provides an application receipt received under subsection (1). Beginning December 1, 2015, a receipt under this subsection shall contain all of the following:

(a) The name of the applicant.

(b) The date and time the receipt is issued.

(c) The amount paid.

(d) The name of the entity providing the fingerprint services.

(e) The applicant's state-issued driver license or personal identification card number.

(f) The statement "This receipt was issued for the purpose of applying for a concealed pistol license. As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425b, if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a concealed pistol license for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state-issued driver license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".
    It is the FINGERPRINTING receipt that serves as your temporary CPL (until you receive the issued CPL or a letter of denial). I am betting the OP's receipt does NOT contain the required language to meet the statutory requirements to serve as a automatic temporary CPL. But…even if it doesn't, it is still debatable as to whether or not his FINGERPRINTING receipt can be used as a CPL or not…
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Update: I took this afternoon off and went downtown to the clerks office and they said i was approved but wont get my licence is the mail. Basically anyone who applied between nov 1st and 15th wont have their licenses mailed out. So They looked at my receipt and took 15 minutes and printed me a license there on the spot. Also the new licence looks different then the ones i have previously seen. The new license is on a plain white piece of plastic, it almost look like an insurance card.

MGO Board of Directors

Update: I took this afternoon off and went downtown to the clerks office and they said i was approved but wont get my licence is the mail. Basically anyone who applied between nov 1st and 15th wont have their licenses mailed out. So They looked at my receipt and took 15 minutes and printed me a license there on the spot. Also the new licence looks different then the ones i have previously seen. The new license is on a plain white piece of plastic, it almost look like an insurance card.
    Congrats!

As far as the appearance:
    http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?347615

I am a Forum User
    ...so are they notifying people of this? Or are they waiting for everyone to get sick of the wait and come in to see what's up?

The latter im assuming, they didn't say that i should've received anything anyway.