Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Need some advice on a new carry gun

First let me say I know this topic has been discussed many times over and Ive read so much on it that I think Ive done more damage then when I started. Im looking to you guys for a final decision.

Ive quickly become addicted to sub-compacts and the ease of carrying them. Im looking at a gen 3 Glock 26 to add to my carry options. Right now Im switching between a Shield and an XD Mod.2 and I like them both in different ways but Im looking for that perfect in between.

Shield:
    Very easy to hide and the weight makes me forget its there. In the summer I could wear just a t-shirt and have very little printing. The one thing I dont like is the narrowness of the grip. Ive added a hogue grip that adds some palm well but not like a true double stack. When shooting I have to angle my finger far away from the frame to position the pad of my finger properly and it gets a bit aggravating. I also prefer more than 8 rds and using the extended mag to get 9 rds makes the grip too long for my liking.

XD:
    The grip is extremely comfortable to me. I love shooting it and it just fits my hands perfectly. 14 rds is a plus but probably a bit more than an EDC needs. The downside is this one is rather heavy and easy to print.

The Glock is the shortest of the 3 with 11 rds (I count the +1) and from what Ive read is only 2 ounces heavier loaded than the shield and significantly lighter than the XD. The grip is as comfortable as the XD to me and the versatility of magazines is a big plus. I have 1 concern. Is the comments about snagging the trigger on clothing real or myth? Ive read hours upon hours of stuff online both for and against this concern but I want to know from people here and their experiences. I will be using a Galco king tuk iwb. I do not like carrying condition 3 but realize I may need to for a little while to feel comfortable in condition 1.

Like I said, I know its an old topic but I would love some fresh input.
    Last edited by TylerV76; 02-09-2016 at 12:46 PM.

All I carry are Glocks (19,43 for the most part with a 27 tossed in here and there) and I've never had that problem. Play close attention when holstering, as you would with any firearm, and you shouldn't run into a problem.

I am a Forum User
    get the G26 so you will have 3 guns to alternate.. pretty soon you will discover which one you like the most.. Also the G26 can use G19 and even Glock 17 mags.. You can buy the extreme mag adaptor for $13 and you get your G26 a new longer grip automatically..

I am a Forum User
    You didn't mention it, but I will throw the Ruger LC9S out there as a contender.

IMHO the key to comfortable carry is how "thin" the gun is. If it comfortable as hell to carry, then you are more likely to actually carry it.

Based on your list I would go with the Shield all day long. I say that only because you are looking for a carry gun...not a range gun. IMHO a carry gun is not for shooting boxes and boxes of ammo through it at one time. It is designed to be carried often and shot little -nothing wrong with shooting it more if you are comfortable with it-. When I bought my LC9S, I shot a couple of boxes through it to become proficient with it and to work out any kinks (there were none). Now it only gets a mag or two a month through it.

Also, I wouldn't let "printing" be a concern for two reasons:

1: its legal to print

2: nobody is ever going to notice you are printing anyway.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cordite_blues_jr View Post
    All I carry are Glocks (19,43 for the most part with a 27 tossed in here and there) and I've never had that problem. Play close attention when holstering, as you would with any firearm, and you shouldn't run into a problem.
    And if you do run into a problem.....that's why you have two testicles to begin with.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep olllllo View Post
    You didn't mention it, but I will throw the Ruger LC9S out there as a contender.

IMHO the key to comfortable carry is how "thin" the gun is. If it comfortable as hell to carry, then you are more likely to actually carry it.

Based on your list I would go with the Shield all day long. I say that only because you are looking for a carry gun...not a range gun. IMHO a carry gun is not for shooting boxes and boxes of ammo through it at one time. It is designed to be carried often and shot little -nothing wrong with shooting it more if you are comfortable with it-. When I bought my LC9S, I shot a couple of boxes through it to become proficient with it and to work out any kinks (there were none). Now it only gets a mag or two a month through it.

Also, I wouldn't let "printing" be a concern for two reasons:

1: its legal to print

2: nobody is ever going to notice you are printing anyway.

The printings not a big deal to me but Im still conscious of it. For me its mainly finding that perfect balance of weight and capacity. I love my shield but the thin frame is not my favorite. I prefer a thicker frame so my finger falls more naturally on the pad of it. I got the XD because of the capacity and larger grip and its exactly what I hoped for until I factor in the weight of it. The Glock 26 looks to have that balance of capacity and light weight with a comfortable grip. The fact that there is no safety like the Shield or XD isnt new to me (I had a 19 for a while) but I have only carried guns with some form of safety. Im really good about safety and always resting my finger on the slide. I was taught and trained that way so I absolutely never go near the trigger until its time. My only concern was whether my shirt of jacket could get caught up and fire the weapon. The LC9S is a nice gun but too thin for my long fingers.

I am a Forum User
    As far as 'trigger snagging on clothing' you should always be very vigilant when holstering a loaded handgun no matter what make and model. Keep both eyes on the gun and holster and ensure that it is holstered completely and properly. With an IWB it takes a bit more care but don't blame the gun for careless behavior. 'Glock trigger snagged on my shirt and fired by itself' really just means 'I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing while handling a loaded firearm.'

If you have to leave it in the car while you go in restricted areas a much better method IMHO is to use a holster that is easily unsnapped from the belt [Galco summer comfort, Milt Sparks VM2 etc.] This way the gun is never unholstered and the trigger never exposed in the first place. Fumbling to reholster any gun/holster combo while stuffed in your car seat is not a great idea. I have trouble with my OWB iphone holder in the car much less an IWB / firearm.

Have a G26 and love it; I use 10, 12, and 15 rd mags with it as stated above. 6 Glocks total in 4 calibers; thousands of rounds and none have ever fired if I didn't want them to.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoser View Post
    As far as 'trigger snagging on clothing' you should always be very vigilant when holstering a loaded handgun no matter what make and model. Keep both eyes on the gun and holster and ensure that it is holstered completely and properly. With an IWB it takes a bit more care but don't blame the gun for careless behavior. 'Glock trigger snagged on my shirt and fired by itself' really just means 'I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing while handling a loaded firearm.'

If you have to leave it in the car while you go in restricted areas a much better method IMHO is to use a holster that is easily unsnapped from the belt [Galco summer comfort, Milt Sparks VM2 etc.] This way the gun is never unholstered and the trigger never exposed in the first place. Fumbling to reholster any gun/holster combo while stuffed in your car seat is not a great idea. I have trouble with my OWB iphone holder in the car much less an IWB / firearm.

Have a G26 and love it; I use 10, 12, and 15 rd mags with it as stated above. 6 Glocks total in 4 calibers; thousands of rounds and none have ever fired if I didn't want them to.
    Thank you, the car portion is something I havent considered. I do unholster in the car ALOT due to my kids playing school sports and such. I guess even as cautious as I think I am I will need to take a couple more steps to be even safer if I choose the Glock.

Banned
    The pistol that is with me most often is an lcr. It's fantastic. Capacity, maybe an issue but comfortable and easy to conceal.

I am a Forum User
    Get the one that feels most comfortable in your hand, and that you feel comfortable and confident with (sounds to me it is the XD). There are so many holster options, that between the pistols your interested in, you should be able to conceal no problem. not sure on the weight difference between the Glock 26 and the XD mod 2, but cant be much.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast