Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Renewal - 3 Days

Turned in my renewal at Livingston County clerk's office on Monday afternoon, 2/8. Received new CPL in mail on Thursday (2/11). Very quick! Not sure I can attribute mine to clean living though. Looks like effective date on new CPL is the same date my old one expires, so will be carrying both until new one is active. Seems like it would be easier to just have an expiration date on them, then I could replace my old one with new when received.
    Last edited by bjmusico; 02-14-2016 at 07:03 AM.

MGO Board of Directors

Thank you for the info!

Getting CPL's issued with a full 5 year duration was a challenge. A few short years ago, if your CPL was renewed and issued 1 day before the expiration date, you only got 4 years and 1 day on the new license. The law was changed to require that renewal CPLs be issued with the issue date = expiration date of the previous license (once your license expiration date aligns with your birthday), that way…they are now full 5 year licenses (again, only after your license expiration aligns with your birthday). So, while it does present the dilemma that you are facing, I really doubt there would be an issue if you only carried the new one since your old one is still valid (so a LEIN check confirms you have a valid CPL anyway). That said, I put my new one aside until my birthday, then swapped them out.

Overall, getting a full 5 years for the money is worth the little inconvenience. If the license show validity for more than 5 years, there are issues with the ATF accepting them in lieu of a NICS check when purchasing firearms from a FFL.

I moved your post out into its own thread.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

Thanks Tom. Sounds like there are a couple good reasons for the effective date on the license. I wasn't aware of the related ATF requirements.

I am a Forum User
    O.T. but does Livingston County still have the extra mental health form for you to sign with their application?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    O.T. but does Livingston County still have the extra mental health form for you to sign with their application?
    I did not have that form when I renewed mine last year

I don't recall needing to fill out an extra mental health form either.

Not a separate form, but a few Qs on the app.

I am a Forum User
    no as of December 1st, the stupid mental health check forum that came with the cpl package is gone!