Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Registration Reform Bill Sent to Senate Judiciary Committee

Registration Reform Bill Sent to Senate Judiciary Committee!

House Bill 4490 sponsored by State Representative Paul Opsommer (R-93) and House Bill 4491 introduced by State Representative Joel Sheltrown (D-103) have passed the House and have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. A hearing date has not been scheduled yet.

The bills would repeal the required "safety inspection" for newly obtained handguns. Michigan law requires anyone who comes into possession of a pistol to take it to the police or sheriff's department for a safety inspection. The requirement of a safety inspection is a burdensome waste of time for law-abiding gun owners and the bills will end that inconvenience.

Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to support these necessary pieces of legislation. For committee member contact information please click here.
    Last edited by Knimrod; 05-24-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: reformatted and moved to front page

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by tallbear
    MICHIGAN: Registration Reform Bill Sent to Senate Judiciary Committee! House Bill 4490 sponsored by State Representative Paul Opsommer (R-93) and House Bill 4491 introduced by State Representative Joel Sheltrown (D-103) have passed the House and have been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Committee. A hearing date has not been scheduled yet. The bills would repeal the required "safety inspection" for newly obtained handguns. Michigan law requires anyone who comes into possession of a pistol to take it to the police or sheriff's department for a safety inspection. The requirement of a safety inspection is a burdensome waste of time for law-abiding gun owners and the bills will end that inconvenience. Please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to support these necessary pieces of legislation. For committee member contact information please click here.

Copyright 2008, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

Please start flooding Senator Kuipers office with e-mails and phone calls to bring HB 4490 & 4491 to the table so the committee can vote on it and get it moving again, he need a big push, so lets give it to him on 6-2-2008. We can not let this bill die it is to close to becoming law.

Senate Judiciary Committee:

State Senator Wayne Kuipers – Chair
    (517) 373-6920
    senwkuipers@senate.michigan.gov

I am a Forum User
    There is and has been a lot of concern over "Safety Inspections" and registration reform. I think we can all agree the "Safety Inspection" is a shameful waste of time and is often used by some PDs to deliberately inconvenience gun owners. However these two bills as currently written are grossly deficient in addressing the root cause of this entire dilemma. The real problem is that we have a handgun registration and the safety inspection is simply a mechanism to fulfill the registration process. These bills DO NOT eliminate the registration process, instead they just make it more convenient for us to register our handguns.

Once it is easy and painless who will complain about registration anymore?
    From what I read on this forum only a significant few even really care at all about registration, most are just frustrated only over the inconvenience of the safety inspection itself.

Our legislators could easily solve the "safety inspection" issue by introducing a meaningful bill that completely eliminates the registration process entirely.
    Guess what..no registration results in no more safety inspection!!

Why is registration bad?
    Registration is the first step to confiscation and is a means to control given segments of the population. In Michigan the registration scheme was introduced in 1927 as a means to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population. Google Dr. Ossian Sweet to learn more about the historical facts that led to our current handgun registration.

WHAT IS REALLY BAD ABOUT THESE BILLS
    Besides not eliminating registration, the bills puts the burden on you the purchaser to submit completed purchase permits or RI-60 forms to your local PD within 10 days of purchase. If you do not it is a misdemeanor punishable up to 90 days and $100. You can bet this will also effect ability to obtain a CPL. The bills are deficient in defining how the ten days will be determined if you mail the forms, will it be the date the PD receives the form in the mail or will it be the date your envelope is postmarked? What makes you think your local PD who is currently screwing you over on the "safety inspection" won't screw you over on this 10 day requirement.

Here the letter I sent by email to the Senate Judiciary committee.
    If you agree with me that registration is bad I encourage you to also demand that we get a meaningful bill instead of the current crock of s___ bills before the judiciary committee.

Dear Senator,

I am writing in regard to HB4490 & 4491 which are before you for consideration.
    As a gun owner, and registered voter I am asking you to reject these bills as written.

These bills are an attempt to address complaints about the current handgun “safety inspection” requirement in Michigan. The real problem with the so called safety inspection is that it is a thinly veiled disguise for a handgun registration. The proposed bills do not eliminate the registration scheme, they only make it more convenient for purchasers of handguns to comply with registration.

This proposed change in the registration process is about just as effective as gun free zones are at preventing violence.
    Although not all, it is certain that a great deal of Michigan gun laws were acquired in one fell swoop, passed in 1927 with pressure from the KKK in response to the Dr. Ossian Sweet trials. The sole purpose and intent of the Michigan handgun registration process was to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population in Michigan at that time. The handgun registration scheme in Michigan was pushed through under the false pretence of being a "safety inspection". If the only important thing was to be sure handguns purchased in the state were safe to operate, why was/is it necessary to keep records of who the handgun belong to? This entire process is a violation of the civil rights of every citizen in this state and should be completely eliminated on those grounds alone.

How many convicted felons and gangbangers do you suppose register their handguns? Only law abiding citizens dutifully obey registration laws. Registration does not prevent violence, or crime it only allows for a compiling of data that can be used at a later date to 'control' a given segment of the population. Registration has not, does not, and never will prevent criminals, felons or gangbangers from obtaining handguns or any other gun, knife or restricted item.

I request and encourage you to amend these bills to completely and entirely eliminate the requirement to maintain registration records of any firearms purchases in Michigan. Failing any opportunity to amend the bills, I request that you vote no on their passage.

Respectfully,

Daniel R. DiRienzo, Jr

MGO Member
    Good letter. "thinly disguised" is a kind way of putting it.

I am surprised at the number of 'supporters' that think streamlining the system is good. I know all discussions about 'one step' at a time. Once a committee has acted on something it is easy to say "we took care of that last year/blah blah" or whatever and then get no action for 4 more years. This needs to be fixed now and rid of of registration. Many posters here and elsewhere will argue that we dont have registration???? The MSP site even calls it what it is..point that out to your legislator.

I am a Forum User

HB 4490 & 4491

Quote Originally Posted by wishn-i-was-fishn
    There is and has been a lot of concern over "Safety Inspections" and registration reform. I think we can all agree the "Safety Inspection" is a shameful waste of time and is often used by some PDs to deliberately inconvenience gun owners. However these two bills as currently written are grossly deficient in addressing the root cause of this entire dilemma. The real problem is that we have a handgun registration and the safety inspection is simply a mechanism to fulfill the registration process. These bills DO NOT eliminate the registration process, instead they just make it more convenient for us to register our handguns.

Once it is easy and painless who will complain about registration anymore?
    From what I read on this forum only a significant few even really care at all about registration, most are just frustrated only over the inconvenience of the safety inspection itself.

Our legislators could easily solve the "safety inspection" issue by introducing a meaningful bill that completely eliminates the registration process entirely.
    Guess what..no registration results in no more safety inspection!!

Why is registration bad?
    Registration is the first step to confiscation and is a means to control given segments of the population. In Michigan the registration scheme was introduced in 1927 as a means to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population. Google Dr. Ossian Sweet to learn more about the historical facts that led to our current handgun registration.

WHAT IS REALLY BAD ABOUT THESE BILLS
    Besides not eliminating registration, the bills puts the burden on you the purchaser to submit completed purchase permits or RI-60 forms to your local PD within 10 days of purchase. If you do not it is a misdemeanor punishable up to 90 days and $100. You can bet this will also effect ability to obtain a CPL. The bills are deficient in defining how the ten days will be determined if you mail the forms, will it be the date the PD receives the form in the mail or will it be the date your envelope is postmarked? What makes you think your local PD who is currently screwing you over on the "safety inspection" won't screw you over on this 10 day requirement.

Here the letter I sent by email to the Senate Judiciary committee.
    If you agree with me that registration is bad I encourage you to also demand that we get a meaningful bill instead of the current crock of s___ bills before the judiciary committee.

Dear Senator,

I am writing in regard to HB4490 & 4491 which are before you for consideration.
    As a gun owner, and registered voter I am asking you to reject these bills as written.

These bills are an attempt to address complaints about the current handgun “safety inspection” requirement in Michigan. The real problem with the so called safety inspection is that it is a thinly veiled disguise for a handgun registration. The proposed bills do not eliminate the registration scheme, they only make it more convenient for purchasers of handguns to comply with registration.

This proposed change in the registration process is about just as effective as gun free zones are at preventing violence.
    Although not all, it is certain that a great deal of Michigan gun laws were acquired in one fell swoop, passed in 1927 with pressure from the KKK in response to the Dr. Ossian Sweet trials. The sole purpose and intent of the Michigan handgun registration process was to control and monitor handgun ownership among the black population in Michigan at that time. The handgun registration scheme in Michigan was pushed through under the false pretence of being a "safety inspection". If the only important thing was to be sure handguns purchased in the state were safe to operate, why was/is it necessary to keep records of who the handgun belong to? This entire process is a violation of the civil rights of every citizen in this state and should be completely eliminated on those grounds alone.

How many convicted felons and gangbangers do you suppose register their handguns? Only law abiding citizens dutifully obey registration laws. Registration does not prevent violence, or crime it only allows for a compiling of data that can be used at a later date to 'control' a given segment of the population. Registration has not, does not, and never will prevent criminals, felons or gangbangers from obtaining handguns or any other gun, knife or restricted item.

I request and encourage you to amend these bills to completely and entirely eliminate the requirement to maintain registration records of any firearms purchases in Michigan. Failing any opportunity to amend the bills, I request that you vote no on their passage.

Respectfully,

Daniel R. DiRienzo, Jr
    After Reading your post I have had a change in my venue on these bills and I have sent all the members of the committee an e-mail asking them to do the same thing as you stated in your post. I have also posted on how to e-mail all of the committee do to the NRA only have phone numbers for two of the members. I still say we should flood them with e-mail and phone calls on the bills on 6-2-2008, to let them know how we fell and get things moving again.

Senate Judiciary Committee: 2007/2008

Senate Judiciary Committee:

State Senator Wayne Kuipers – Chair
    (517) 373-6920
    senwkuipers@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Alan Cropsey (R-33)
    (517) 373-3760
    senacropsey@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Alan Sanborn (R-11)
    (517) 373-7670
    senasanborn@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Bruce Patterson (R-7)
    (517) 373-7350
    senbpatterson@senate.michigan.gov

State Senator Gretchen Whitmer (D-23)
    517-373-1734
    http://www.senate.mi.gov/whitmer

State Senator Hansen Clarke (D-1)
    517-373-7346
    http://www.senate.michigan.gov/clarke

State Senator Michael Pruse (D-3
    517-373-7840
    senMPrusi@senate.mi.gov

I can't post links yet! Forum User

I'm confused

I'm confused on what these bills actually do.

I've read where you'll still need a purchase permit to get handgun, is that right?
    Then what? do I need to bring the gun in to the PD? or does the FFL throw the permit away once they see I have one?

What about out of state people moving to MI? Since they already own there guns, do they have to do anything?

What about private party transfers? Private party transfers where both are CPL holders?

After living in Colorado for the past 7 years, I wish this state would make the handgun and long gun laws more similar to Colorado.....one step at a time...I guess.

MGO Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YooperInCO
    I'm confused on what these bills actually do.

I've read where you'll still need a purchase permit to get handgun, is that right?
    Yes
    Then what? do I need to bring the gun in to the PD? or does the FFL throw the permit away once they see I have one?
    No, No, permit still has to go to the state.
    What about out of state people moving to MI? Since they already own there guns, do they have to do anything?
    Yes, obtain purchase permits to buy the guns from themselves, effectively registering them.
    What about private party transfers? Private party transfers where both are CPL holders?
    Still have forms to be submitted.
    After living in Colorado for the past 7 years, I wish this state would make the handgun and long gun laws more similar to Colorado.....one step at a time...I guess.
    Clarify please, use of "this state" threw me. Are you in CO, and that was just a "longing to be home" slip? With the "OoS, moving in" question, are you planning to move back, or just wishing you could?

BTW, to make it clear, even though I support the removal of the hassle of taking a gun in for a "safety inspection," the registration itself needs to be eliminated! As you said, one step at a time.

Roger
    NRA Life, MUCC, SAFR, MGO, WSC - Windsor (Ont., Can.) Sportsmen's Club, LMHS - Historical Society, Leamington, Ont.,
    Chief R.O. & Prez., Power Factor Handgunners

Charter Member #1 of CIRC- June 2010

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Roney
    BTW, to make it clear, even though I support the removal of the hassle of taking a gun in for a "safety inspection," the registration itself needs to be eliminated! As you said, one step at a time.

Roger

The problem is that the only reason, since 1927, for the "safety inspection" was to complete the registration of the handgun. The MI legislature in 1927 could never get the citizens to accept an outright registration so they did the smoke & mirrors trick and called it a safety inspection.

The easiest and most effective way to eliminate the hassels of safety inspection is to eliminate the root cause which is registration. If there is no registration the required the safety inspection immediately disappears!!

These bills are bullcrap and our legislators should be thrown out of office for these types of meaningless, deceitful tricks.

There will be no one step at a time solution here. Once the pain of safety inspection is gone there won't be enough gun owners complaining about registration to ever have it eliminated.

Shame, shame , shame on every gun owner who is willing to accept this kind of half-assed effort from our legislators and for being hoodwinked into believing they are doing something meaningful when they are in reality only playing slight of hand tricks on us.

By the way, I wonder how many gun owners who think these bills are so marvelous actually took the time to read and understand the bills? How many know about the inherent pitfalls of the revised system and burden on the gunowner to complete the registration process? About the potential misdemeanor charges, jail time and fines for not properly completing the registration process?

I am a Forum User

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by wishn-i-was-fishn
    Shame, shame , shame on every gun owner who is willing to accept this kind of half-assed effort from our legislators and for being hoodwinked into believing they are doing something meaningful when they are in reality only playing slight of hand tricks on us.

By the way, I wonder how many gun owners who think these bills are so marvelous actually took the time to read and understand the bills? How many know about the inherent pitfalls of the revised system and burden on the gunowner to complete the registration process? About the potential misdemeanor charges, jail time and fines for not properly completing the registration process?
    No sir, shame on you for being ignorant of the legislative process. Following your line of thinking, we never would have gotten Shall Issue, the removal of ANY misdemeanor being a disqualified for a CPL for 5 years, being allowed to carry in places that make less than 50% of their revenue from alcohol sales, removal of the requirement to be re-fingerprinted every 5 years, exemption from NICS checks for CPL holders and on and on and on.

How many Committee hearings have you attended? How many Legislators call you and ask for your personal input on a gun Bill? When was the last time your State Rep stood in front of a room full of people and thanked YOU for being the one person in the state of Michigan who caught a big whoops in a gun gun Bill and stopped the voting on it until it got fixed.

I work with the legislature every day. Frankly, I sometimes just want to say screw it when I hear crap like what you posted. If you want to just tell legislators that they should just go screw themselves, go ahead. See how far it gets you.

One of the biggest headaches we deal with is departments and cities that have restricted hours for purchase permits and registrations. This Bill blows that problem away for CPL holders in one swoop. No longer will someone who works out of town have to take a day off to register their guns. And then another because the department keeps them overnight or for days. No longer will a collector have their valuable, unfired pistol marred, scratched or otherwise vandalized by some ham handed clerk.

I don't like registration and I'll continue to fight to end it. However, this is the best we are going to get with the Dem's in control of the House and Governor's Mansion. Look at the number of pro gun bills we passed in the 2004-2006 Session. Then look how many we've passed in the 2006-2008 Session. Big difference. Just wait until Obama is in the Oval Office. You better start stocking up on cosmoline and PVC pipe.

OK, I'm done. Rant off

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Roney
    Clarify please, use of "this state" threw me. Are you in CO, and that was just a "longing to be home" slip? With the "OoS, moving in" question, are you planning to move back, or just wishing you could?

Roger
    Just moved back. When I left, we still had may-issue CCW permits in this state. I know things are getting better, but they're still pretty harsh.

Oh, one more.....can anyone legally borrow a handgun from another, either now or after this law passes? With / without CPL's?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast