Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Once again, only hits count and the auto will be much easier to shoot than the revolver DA.

What kind of bear? I'd go 10mm for black bear, 44 mag or larger for Grizzly. I'd consider bear spray as well in the Rockies or up in AK.

How much would you take for the .44?

I am a Forum User
    Load 300 gr Cast Performance LBTs for the .44; max penetration if needed on bear. I get 1350 fps from my 7.5" bbl; you can adjust for the snubbie length bbl to see what you have.

I have a modified 5" .454 SRH that I load 335 gr LBTs for. Bigger package but its only your life at stake . . .

I also have a G20 10mm; 15 rds of 200 gr FMJ at 1050 fps is nothing to sneeze at but its not brown bear medicine unless you can break the front leg[s] in time.

Banned
    You need this (I posted a longtime ago, but it applies here):

.950 JDJ carbine-length rifle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwr2_d-lYGU

Quote Originally Posted by Freq18Hz View Post
    No, the 10mm isn't even in the same ballpark.

Anyone that tells you that 10mm is comparable, is high.

-Freq
    But the title of the thread is a full size 10mm vs a snub .44

All other things being equal your quote is fact.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to take a look at the Buffalo Bore ammunition or other hot rounds. I am mostly using this as a sidearm when I go to Colorado or Wyoming.

Banned
    A person has a 1 in 4000 chance of getting into a car accident on the way home from work on any given day. A person has a 1 in 230,000,000,000 chance of being attacked by a Grizzly Bear. Do you drive a Tank to work? probably not. The Bear might not drop instantly, but it's a sure bet that if you start hitting it with EITHER round, it will run and not want to fight you anymore. Shot placement is ALWAYS more important.

I am a Forum User
    This would be my preference in bear country:

Almost a snub (3.75 inches), single action, capable of firing extreme 44 mag loads that will blow other guns up. Can also shoot hot 44 special loads that are suitable for hunting and bear defense, with minimal drama.

All bears are dangerous, not just grizzly. Shot placement is indeed important, penetration is all that matters. I think this scenario is no different than any other... pack the biggest caliber you can shoot well.

For me, that's a .475 linebaugh, or a 45 colt, or a 44 mag w/ +P+ ammunition.

-Freq

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Freq18Hz View Post
    This would be my preference in bear country:

Almost a snub (3.75 inches), single action, capable of firing extreme 44 mag loads that will blow other guns up. Can also shoot hot 44 special loads that are suitable for hunting and bear defense, with minimal drama.

All bears are dangerous, not just grizzly. Shot placement is indeed important, penetration is all that matters. I think this scenario is no different than any other... pack the biggest caliber you can shoot well.

For me, that's a .475 linebaugh, or a 45 colt, or a 44 mag w/ +P+ ammunition.

-Freq
    I would need ALOT of trigger time behind a single action revolver to consider myself ready to use it in a bear defense scenario.

And having fired a 3" 44 without ear protection, if it ever comes down to it the bear winning wouldn't be all bad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast