Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

NRA

MGO Member Forum User

"Stop, don't touch, run away, tell a grown up."

My three year old has been singing this all day, so the NRA's Eddie Eagle video gets a huge thumbs up from her. Never underestimate the influence of a cartoon with a catchy song.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    Sounds good, expect for the run away part...

Quote Originally Posted by clinta View Post
    My three year old has been singing this all day, so the NRA's Eddie Eagle video gets a huge thumbs up from her. Never underestimate the influence of a cartoon with a catchy song.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I'm a charter Member of the NRA Golden eagles. This is the group within the NRA that developed the Eddie Eagle program. I haven't contributed recently but originally members donated $200. annually. I participated for about ten years.

Please permit me a funny anecdote.

While visiting when my middle grandson was about 4 years old I tested him. I placed my pellet rifle unloaded and broken open on our bed.

After some time he followed my wife into our bedroom and discovered the pellet rifle on the bed. Instantly he exclaimed to my wife "Grandpa left his gun out, we have to tell an adult"!

Well, my wife barely contained her laughter and replied "I am an adult" His reply was "we better tell grandpa anyway"

He is 17 now and we still chuckle when any of us broach the topic. Yeah, yeah, I know, cool story,bro.

The point is that Eddie Eagle is a very worthwhile program that works!

This was the original mantra.

STOP! DON'T TOUCH! LEAVE THE AREA! TELL AN ADULT!

The new message is modernized and revised to appeal to the reality that Children face today.

Published on Apr 10, 2015
    In spring 2015, the NRA introduced a brand new Eddie Eagle video. Started in 1988, the Eddie Eagle GunSafe program has reached more than 28 million children with an important safety message. Eddie has a modernized look and some new friends—the Wing Team. Together, they learn what to do if they ever find a gun: STOP! Don’t touch. Run away. Tell a grown-up. Visit http://eddieeagle.com to explore the kid-friendly web
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[YOUTUBE]Ho36vonT3Rw[/YOUTUBE]

Here is an earlier version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[YOUTUBE]wIEBrb_wRYc[/YOUTUBE]

Please watch these with your children. As clinta and I described above, It does make a difference!

I am a Forum User
    Yeah I don't like the "run away" part either.
    However.... I can not think of a better way to start to teach
    children gun safety.

I don't have (insert favorite pejorative for children here). I have friends with
    children that I'm around often, who know I'm the gun guy. I've used the Eddie Eagle
    mantra with them. I just can't think of a better start to gun safety for children.

Joe

MGO Member Forum User
    I wish there was something better than "run away" because that kind of implies that the gun itself is a scary thing to run away from. But the kid needs to know that they shouldn't dawdle, they do need to run to an adult and tell them right away. For a 3 year old who needs short, simple instructions, I can't think of anything better than "run away".

I am a Forum User
    my kids learned from eddie, and today at 18 and 16 they shoot, and know how to SAFELY handle weapons.

my 16YO son and i just finished our first AR build and the look on his face after shooting it was well worth all those years of training

I saw the headline and the first thing that came to my mind was that this was advice for what to do when you encounter a leftist.

I am a Forum User
    My brother and his wife were teaching their grandson about safety around guns when he was just a little one. It was winter and his favorite activity after preschool was to sit down with the Christmas toy catalog and look through it. One day my brother unloaded and checked his pistol, inserted it into holster and laid it on the counter, on top of the toy catalog, then left the room. My sister-in-law watched grandson for a long time walk around the counter and look at it from every angle, but at a distance. Finally about 1/2 hour later he came up to her and with total exasperation looked at her and said,"Can we PLEASE get grandpa and ask him to move his gun so I can see the toys". THAT'S when they knew the lessons had gotten through!