Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Fixing "ammo feed" problem with newer Savage Arms Model 64F, 22L; file the barrel opening -?

I bought this maybe 3 years ago or so; seemed like a nice little rifle. Had a lot of problems first trying to shoot some Remington Golden Bullet HP's; (-I've since been told about them) later tried CCI Mini Mag round nosed; worked much better - still some occasional stove piping, etc. Aside from breaking it in by shooting more with more quality ammo (I've probably put just under 150 rounds through it), I've heard you can file the edge around the barrel opening above the ramp a bit to make bullets hang up less. Is this a good idea - and if so, should I want to file the top edge of the opening more; or just file lightly around the whole opening? Thanks!

I am a Forum User
    Do Not File Anything!
    You need someone to diagnose the CAUSE of the failures,
    then determine a fix.
    Savage has a very good reputation for reliability. It is possible it needs
    more break in. Try that first, there may be a rough spot somewhere that
    will smooth out.
    Don't file on anything.

Joe

MGO Member
    Nobody can tell you what the problem is without seeing the gun. Perhaps there are inherent problems with that model feeding (I don't know). In all of this know that 150 rounds isn't even close to breaking in most .22s. Check it for factory grease etc. and shoot it more. If the problem persists see a good gunsmith (preferably a Savage dealer).

Save the file for lawnmower blades.

My Savage magazines for my model 93 in 22WMR were a joke. There was a 5 rounder that came with the rifle and I bought 3 additional 10 rounders. None of them fed properly. Given that Savage gun parts are almost impossible to get and that the rimfire mags are more expensive than AR15 magazines, I fixed the magazines and the entire guide/latch system for the magazines so that they all worked. But it is just as easy to screw it up as fix it.

Personally, I will NEVER buy another Savage rimfire of any description until they completely change the garbage that they use in their rimfire rifles today.

I am a Forum User
    Thanks, Joe. I read somebody suggesting filing online somewhere a while back - but I've inquired on a couple websites, and EVERYONE says NO!

I am a Forum User
    Thanks, P.D. I read somebody suggesting filing online somewhere a while back - but I've inquired on a couple websites, and EVERYONE says NO!

MGO Member Forum User
    It is good thing to follow that advice, Clean your chamber with a good brass brush not your rifling just your chamber, then load several cartridges into your magazine and sssslowlly load them into your chamber and watch for any hang ups be careful that you do not fire the gun I know my friend shot himself by being reckless if you can get some dummy loads and try it the magazine may not be releasing the shells early enough to line up into the chamber. Please be carful and look for dummy loads it will be much safer. Bill god luck.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    My Savage 62F just got back from the factory. I bought it new in June 2017. Serial #28844XX. It would fire 5 rounds jam the next 5 rounds going into the chamber either by the 6th round attempt to autoload or the 7th thru 10 rounds in manual feed.
    The factory replaced the MAGAZINE HOUSING. There was nothing wrong with either of my magazines, both of which displayed the same trouble. This might be a $15 fix for your gun if you want to try it. Good luck.

Any filing of the chamber mouth of a 22 rimfire risks exposing the case wall, which in a rimfire is thin and needs support to keep from rupturing. I personally would not recommend it at all, listen to Red442Joe.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

Could the OP be referring to polishing the feed ramp instead of filing? I know that some pistoleros advocate polishing as a "fix" to enhance feeding. Personally, as some of you have already advocated, I'm a big fan of shooting more, and let the gun smooth itself out. And contacting customer service to get their opinion.

Hey, Planedriver, welcome back.