Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

Yesterday & Today are Quite important to United States History, Do you know Why?

If Not you need to attend an Appleseed Event.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Assault / end of seige at Waco?

Oklahoma City bombing?

Today's the anniversary of both.

Yesterday's anniversary: 5 riders made invaluably important rides through the Massachusetts countryside: William Dawes, Samuel Prescott, Israel Bissell, Sybil Ludington, and a famous silversmith (who gets all the credit). Today's: many men committed treason and stood against a tyranical government and their jack booted thugs and said "if you want them, we'll give them to you...lead first!"

Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    Yesterday's anniversary: 5 riders made invaluably important rides through the Massachusetts countryside: William Dawes, Samuel Prescott, Israel Bissell, Sybil Ludington, and a famous silversmith (who gets all the credit).
    It was a lot more than 5 men, and little of the message was transmitted verbally. And Paul Revere had a different job to do that night and was not a primary messenger rider.

In the last couple of hours of April 18th, three men met at the Old North Church. One stood guard and the other two climbed to the top windows of the steeple. Once there they displayed two lanterns in the northern windows. (Thomas Bernard, Robert Newman and John Pulling) Those lights were seen by watchers on the Charleston side. Paul Revere was still working his way out of Boston after having told the men to send the signal.

The Charleston Whigs that saw the signal immediately split up, some heading out to spread the word, others to get to the shore and find Paul Revere. Once ashore, Paul Reveres' primary interest was to get to Adams and Hamilton and get them out of danger. There were "arrest on sight" orders for all three of them, and a chest of papers was also with those men that could hang hundreds if they fell into the hands of the Military Governor Gage.

Paul Revere is famous for the ride, only because of the poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in 1860. What he should be acknowledged for is he was the planner, the one that set up the whole "alarm list" system. He managed to spread the word hundreds of miles in just a few hours. Everything from the riders, to Church bells, beacon fires and salute guns were used to spread the word.

And here is a little bit of trivia, Paul Revere rode out that night unarmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Divegeek View Post
    Today's: many men committed treason and stood against a tyranical government and their jack booted thugs and said "if you want them, we'll give them to you...lead first!"
    Nice thoughts on how they would surrender their arms, but they just wanted to show that confiscating property was not some thing that was going to be allowed to continue. And by "continue", this was about the fourth "powder raid" that had happened. This one was just a little more "active" in the defense of the property of the colonists.

And the common British soldier of that era wore hob-nailed shoes not jack boots.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I bow to your obviously superior knowledge on the topic, and I while I know significantly more on the topic than the average American that isn't saying much. Unfortunately today most people, would be lucky to remember Paul Revere, and probably nothing about the significance of the events that took place over those couple of days.

As Trackman was pushing in the OP, get out to an Appleseed.

It is a terrific event, a mixture of shooting and history packed into an enjoyable package.

They don't go in-depth to the extent that I have at my finger tips, but they do cover some amazing events of the day, April 19th, 1775.

They also use a reference that I think is VERY well done. Paul Revere's Ride, David Hackett Fischer, April 19, 1995 Oxford University Press, ISBN-10: 0195098315,
    ISBN-13: 978-0195098310 Everything in that book is cited.