Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storage with kids

I'm planning on picking up my first handgun this week and am looking for advice on storage. The man purpose is for home defense so obviously I'd like to have it easily accessible. My concern is that I have 2 young kids that are too young to understand what it is yet old enough to be curious about it. I have a solid electronic safe but I'm wondering if I should be comfortable leaving it on the nightstand. Does it totally defeat the purpose if I have it in a nearby closet? Just looking for suggestions or encouragement

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Teachers leave them kids alone
    Hey! teacher! leave us kids alone!

I am a Forum User
    In my opinion this is the best way to safely store you hand gun. I have mine mounted in the closet and have practiced getting to it. Result has been less than 7 seconds.

www.thepiecekeeper.net

I am a Forum User
    The first step is teaching gun safety. It's never too young. As soon as my children were old enough to ask, I introduced them to gun safety.
    1. firearms are to be used with a trusted grown up. We discussed who these people are. Basically, there are 4 adults they can ask about guns and use guns with.
    2. If you see one, STOP. Leave the room. Go tell an adult.
    This rule is non-negotiable. Anywhere. It applies to friend's houses, relatives, camp. Always.
    3. If you want to look at dad's gun, ask. (and you have to say yes every time)

Then, I sat them in my lap, on the floor, and let them help me verify the guns were safe. We practiced the safety rules at all times- finger off of the trigger, muzzle awareness... The quickly boar of this and move on. Then, 30 minutes later, they want to see it again. So we start over. Now, they've helped me clean guns and guns aren't a big deal. The 3 rules above still apply.

As for storage, the EDC is on you most of the day. At night, it could possibly stay on the night stand when you are in bed. Mine stays in a http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV300.../dp/B003841ZBS . It keeps out curious young friends. You can leave the combination unlocked, but the vault latched for quick access at night. I just don't trust electronic locks.

I am a Forum User
    No so thing as to young! Teach them now, it's easier to get the message to sink in now.
    I have 2 young boys (6 and 10 ) they both go to the range regularly with me, and have for years
    But you can't beat a gunvault brand safe. The make them like above where it's a code to open or you can go ultra fast and get one of their biometric models.
    Either way I never recommend leaving it out on the nightstand, just not worth the what ifs with kids

I agree that it is NEVER too early to fulfill your responsibility as a parent and adult to teach gun safety to your children. Like sex, they will be more interested and able to understand long before you think they are. Start with the basics that ALL FIREARMS ARE LOADED!

You never know if they will be exposed to firearms when they are out of your sight. They may be at a play-date, family member's house, or some place you don't expect.

As for which quick access safe we recommend, I am sold on the Gun Vault GV1000D (http://www.gunvault.com/gv1000c-dlx.html). It is like the GV1000C but has a plug-in so it remains accessible if the battery dies. There is always a key override if you need it. It is inexpensive when compared to others and does the job well.

I highly recommend you stay away from bio-metric safes. You may think that they are a good idea since you don't have to remember a code. However, if your finger is sweaty, dirty or, in the case of my girlfriend, has moisturizing lotion the scanners are not reliable. If you have a code, you and other adults in the house can open the case.

This version is small enough to keep next to the bed on a table or under the bed. We even have one mounted solidly inside our RV hear the bed "just in case".
    Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius (Have Brain, Will Travel)

The universe has a funny way of working things out.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJak View Post
    This!

I am a Forum User
    I like the speed vault. Mount it next to the bed and god forbid you need it, the way it opens puts your firearm in line with your hand for quick access.

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-SV-50.../dp/B006OGNLKA

Hi all, thanks for the informative responses. I now have a nice new glock 19 and a gun vault mv500. Ill be taking the education thing very seriously. I really like the tip to always let the see the gun when they ask. This should most certainly dash their curiosity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hands down the best safe out there is the mechanical Shotlock. Unfortunately it's $150.

https://www.shotlock.com/ShotLock_Handgun.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast