Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Walther Q5 Match (5" PPQ) Review and Range Report

I own a PPQ M2 4" and love it. Use it for 3 Gun, EDC, training and just for every day plinking. Did I say I love it? Have a Glock 17, Canick TP9, Walther CCP 9mm, and have owned a S&W M&P .45, Springfield XDS .45, a generic ATI 1911 .45 and a Beretta M9A2 (which coincidentally I also carried in the Corps.) I'm of the opinion that the PPQ out of the box puts these guns to shame.

So holding the PPQ in such high regard, I had great expectations for the Q5....and it delivered. Finish is great. I'm not an expert at describing take up and break and gritty or crisp. I'll do my best to describe how the gun shoots. Trigger is very similar to the M2 but the take up is smoother (it was suggested that this is because they're using lighter springs, but I'm not that technically savvy so I'll believe it.) Recoil is nominal, and I imagine that it is not only because it is a 9mm but also because of the ported slide (maybe I'm not calling it by the correct term; it's all milled out.) Barrel IS NOT ported. Nice tight groups. A more skilled shooter had a group that was less than an 1/2 inch at 7yds using 115gr HP. Hitting bowling pins at 25 yards like a boss.

*Update*. No failures whatsoever. Almost 300 rounds and no problems at all.

So far the only adjustment I made was elevation and windage. Rear site is completely adjustable. Couple clicks up and right (audible and tactile clicks. Nice!) I don't like the rear site because it is just a notch, with no dots or markings. My vision isn't what it used to be so I'll be seeking a solution for that. I think I'll be changing back straps to smaller size.

Great package. Mounts for three types of RMR, three back straps, three 15 round mags, speed loader, chamber flag, tools and the mandatory lock all packed in a nice case.

*Update*. More experience with the rear aperture. I don't like the rest site in low light or under overcast skies. I wear glasses so my vision is poor. While shooting on steel painted black I have a hard time getting a good sight picture. Obviously it is me and not the design of the gun because so many pistols come with similar rear apertures. I'd like to see a white outline similar to what is on a Glock. I'm also finding that with both eyes open I will see the front sight to the left of the entire rear sight, but I think that is something that can be corrected with practice.

*Update*. Some people have had issues with the M2 mag release depressing unintentionally. This seems to be fixed on the Q5.

$745 cash price. If you're thinking about buying a 5" PPQ wait for the Q5. More bang for your buck.

I'm no photographer, so I apologize for poor quality but here are some pics.

image.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by Slossar1004; 05-15-2016 at 07:28 AM.

I am a Forum User
    Awesome! Love my PPQ M2. I put the Apex trigger in mine and made it all the better which doesn't seem possible but it is. With over 15k rounds through it it is the most reliable firearm I own.

On one note, I would try to get used to the rear sights being blacked out. I have switched all of my rear guns to blacked out rears and will never go back. It makes for the fastest target aquisition and sight alignment when used correctly.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Man, I just can't get used to it. Had same problem with the 1911 I owned, but the 1911's notch was larger.

Updated review.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Slossar1004 View Post
    .....I'm also finding that with both eyes open I will see the front sight to the left of the entire rear sight, but I think that is something that can be corrected with practice.....
    You a righty with a left master eye?

Banned
    You are "other " eye dominant. That's why the sights are appearing that. Slightly tip the weapon toward your dominant eye at presentation and that will go away.

Only happens with the Q5 and the 1911 with plain notched rear sight. I've fired other 4" & 5" that had dots on rear sight and didn't have the problem. I'll try what you're suggesting though. Thanks for the tip!

I just bought a Q5 and at 71, also have problems with the rear sight. I took a toothpick and put two white dots back there, for quick reference. Seems to help. Also found out that amber clip ons for my glasses really help with contrast and glare, even on overcast days.

Update: Put fluorescent green dots on the rear sight. Work like fiber optic and make a big difference.