Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    I can't post links yet! Forum User

How often do you clean?

So I'm new to gun ownership. I shoot an S&W SD9VE about every 2-3 weeks. 50-100 rounds each time. and I shoot my Savage 320 12ga about every other month, maybe 10-20 rounds.
    I've asked around and get many different opinions on how often I should clean. I heard that the residue is corrosive so don't leave it siting long. But the rental guns don't look like they ever get cleaned and one gunshop employee said he never cleans his personal guns.
    I've been cleaning about every second or third shooting. Or earlier if I think I'm not going shooting for a while.

So, what's the general consensus?

Also, I read a post where a gunowner said never insert the barrel cleaning rod into the muzzle, only the chamber end. Any reason or logic for that?

Thanks

I am a Forum User
    I clean after every range trip on all handguns. My AR I clean after every other range trip as long as I dont shoot more than 200 rds in one trip. This is just my personal preference on my AR since it is my basement gun and I know it can go quite a few rounds without cleaning and not have any hiccups. As for handguns, I depend on them much more since they are generally for HD or my carry weapon.

As for cleaning from the muzzle end, you can damage the crown of the muzzle and severly affect your accuracy.

MGO Member
    Basically when I feel like it. Some range sessions are only 100 rounds while some are 500+. I've gone well over 1,000 rounds on pistols (Glocks, S&Ws & HKs and never an issue.) My ARs and AKs, which I don't shoot nearly as much, get cleaned every 500ish rounds, once again, lubed frequently. I do tend to clean my carry guns more often but regardless, I'm more concerned with lubrication.

If I shoot it, I clean it. Learned that at USMC University. Clean my EDC about once a month, just to clean out the fuzz.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

I am a Forum User
    You're supposed to clean modern handguns and EBRs??

Quote Originally Posted by Briano42 View Post
    So I'm new to gun ownership. I shoot an S&W SD9VE about every 2-3 weeks. 50-100 rounds each time. and I shoot my Savage 320 12ga about every other month, maybe 10-20 rounds.
    Once you get the hang of it, 30 minutes tops. And a large portion of that is getting everything out and putting it away.

I've asked around and get many different opinions on how often I should clean. I heard that the residue is corrosive so don't leave it siting long. But the rental guns don't look like they ever get cleaned and one gunshop employee said he never cleans his personal guns.
    I've been cleaning about every second or third shooting. Or earlier if I think I'm not going shooting for a while.
    With modern ammo, you don't run across corrosive residues very often. There are still some foreign manufactured rounds that have corrosive primers, but the US made stuff doesn't.

For modern long guns, I will drop a bore snake through them and wipe the outside with an oily rag every time I have had them out. And that is just because I have handled them and my skin secretes corrosive materials (salt NACL and urea). I don't go into a detailed cleaning unless they got wet while I had them out.

Handguns get a similar treatment, but not every time. I get to them as soon as, or just before, they get so dirty the residues starts to transfer back to my hands just picking them up.

Muzzle Loaders get cleaned EVERY TIME, and as soon as humanly possible. Both the Holy Black and modern substitutes leave corrosive fouling. The Black Powder leaves hygroscopic salts, and the moderns leave an acid residue. Neither is good for the longevity of the metal of the guns.

So, what's the general consensus?
    I doubt that you will get enough to agree to arrive at a consensus.

Also, I read a post where a gunowner said never insert the barrel cleaning rod into the muzzle, only the chamber end. Any reason or logic for that?
    With muzzle loaders, you often don't have a choice. With modern styles of firearms, clean from the breach end to protect the muzzle crown.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    thank you very much for the education gentlemen.

MGO Board of Directors

Trustee

all my stuff i actually shoot is modern and has decent finish. I hardly ever clean. basically once the function of my range guns starts to suffer, i know i'm a little overdue. basically once it sounds rough while racking the slide I try to get around to it eventually.

my carry gun gets shot a magazine or two every trip to the range and gets a basic cleaning (boresnake, qtips in the trigger area, and an oil wipe) after each session. if it's been a while since i last shot, i just strip it and give it an oily wipe down on all the important parts.
    DISCLAIMER: Disclaimer. The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author, DrScaryGuy. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of MGO, its board of directors, or its members.

I clean every time I use a gun, I was brought up this way. I know most don't agree with doing it this way, that's their choice if it works for them.
    I have worked as a RO a few day/wk for some time and see a lot of feed/extract problems with semi-autos on my watch, almost always in dirty guns. The only problem in 90% of them IMO. Even bolt guns though need the bolt face/extractor clean, lugs kept greased, and bore free of copper and carbon build up.

Sometimes a drop of oil and a quick wipe with a paper towel gets them going but often there is gunk caked under extractor hooks, in the extractor groove on breech, and I have even seen it build on the back of a 10-22 breech by the guide rod to the point the bolt wouldn't fully travel forward when you pressed on the handle. The guy just cleaned a "few days ago" when I pointed it out and blamed the ammo as being dirty.
    A couple years back I had a young guy experiencing jams every couple rounds in a beautiful stainless Colt 1911 that he just got off his grandfather. Walking by while he was fumbling with it, I asked if it was lubed, and was assured he had cleaned and oiled it when he got it. This was its first time out. Another shot or two and the gun locked up tight on him. A lot of jerking on the slide and pressing it against the bench popped it open and small little silver colored ball rolled out of the gun. He had galled the rails to the point of badly damaging a very nice older pistol. His "cleaning" it seems was to wipe the gun with Hoppes(?) on a rag and then wipe it off with a dry rag to clean it. The Hoppes was supposed to leave a thin "oily film" that was all the lube required he was told. Obviously it wasn't, he didn't make it through a 1/2 box of ammo.
    On the other hand, I also have a good friend that shoots a 10 year old full size Kimber 1911 in IDPA who ran over 20,000 rds with nothing more then a couple drops of oil down the rails and on the hood every 100 rds or so. Knowing my friend the oil was likely whatever the guy next to him on the line had in his bag at the moment. The gun finally started giving him a "bit of trouble". A fellow shooter couldn't stand it any longer, and finally tore it totally down and cleaned/lubed it for him. My buddy says its good now for another 10 years, but don't shoot no better, he still ain't winning.

Maybe I'm just being too anal..

I clean my Glock upper when I get back from the range. Total take-down and cleaning every couple months.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast