Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    MGO Member
    Depends on what I am doing.

Practicing with concealed carry firearm, I will clean after every trip to the range. No reason to carry a dirty gun - for obvious reasons.

Shooting a few rounds to sight in for hunting and then hunting. So a box or less of (hunting) ammunition. I will clean at the end of the season. Even though the round count is not that high it was exposed to the elements and weather which requires more attention than the low round count.

If I have a newer gun, or a gun that I want to push the limits (endurance between cleanings and or to find any failure points etc.) on I will make multiple trips to range before a cleaning.

I am a Forum User
    I too am a believer in cleaning everything that gets fired @ the range, that day..or the next..UNLESS,
    I plan on taking the same firearm back to the range in the next day or 2..

I've used Hoppes #9 for many years.. & still do.. but I've developed different cleaning methods for different firearms.

Pistols:
    I started spraying down my handguns with WD-40 after a range trip.. Buy WD by the gallon & put in spray bottle.
    a few sprays (down barrel- & inside cylinder, then let revolvers sit in a ss pan I use for this purpose.
    Autoloaders get stripped, sprayed w/WD, & allow to sit in pan too
    letting wd soak on dirty metal softens powder residue, then it wipes off easily.
    Corners get hit with a toothbrush (old one) and I use Q tips for getting in tight areas.

I also vary my cleaning solutions..sometimes Hoppes, or WD, or Ed's Red..which works well too.
    after wiping stuff off, examine bore & use brass/copper brushes, jags, & patches.. until bore is clean, free of foreign material.

If you saw my collection of cleaning materials, you'd note I've tried a LOT of stuff..
    Have CLP, Triflow, Rem oil, Superlube, cans of GI gun oil, Li. based grease, & a few other materials.
    Gunzilla is the newest addition to my collection of cleaners /lubes/& supplies.

I use it as my final bore swab, after cleaning with other materials.
    I've found that despite how clean the bore looks, a patch w/ gunzilla will pull a little more stuff from the bore.

I use it sparingly, as a last step, in all my firearms.
    ON auto loaders, I use Superlube (grease) on sliding surfaces,for many years.
    I've started using FP-10, sparingly, as a lube, @ the recommendation of my gunsmith, on my Ar's..it's extremely slippery.

I am a Forum User
    I clean every weapon when they get shot...one round or 500 rounds.

The ones I don't shoot (safe sitters) not nearly enough. Probably once every 18 months or 2 years. All lubes up though.

MGO Board of Directors

Just like this thread, I like to get them out every year or so and wipe of the dust a light coat of oil.
    Like and follow MGO on FaceBook
    https://www.facebook.com/migunowners.org

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I gave my Marlin mod 60 22lr its first cleaning Jan 2019. 38 years after I bought it. It needed a new buffer.

I'll give my hand guns a wipe after a range trip and run a swab through it every now and then.

I like to know if my guns can go 500 or so rounds between cleanings/oiling.

I am a Forum User
    I sure wish I got in the cleaning supplies business years ago.
    Talk about a missed opportunity.
    Clean when it's dirty. Hint: It's not dirty after a range trip or two or three.

#putsflamesuiton

I am a Forum User
    I clean when they need it. Carry gun I blow the lint out of and make sure the rails are wet. For everything else, when I start to see a drop in performance. For a 1911 that may be a failure to feed, for my 300 win mag it may be when my group sizes start opening up.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    I clean after every range trip (100-200 rounds) but I don't mind cleaning my guns. My Glocks, M&P, CZ will go reliably much further than that but if I stretched it to 500-1000 rounds I have not doubt they would still run. My 1911's are a different story and I would clean them <500 or every range trip. If you don't clean 1911 or AR's after every range trip, I would make sure they are lubed. 10-20 rounds every other month out of a 12 ga is nothing, so consider a couple times a year.

If you are depending on your firearms for home defense or carry, I would keep them clean. Keeping guns dirtly for long periods of time could lead to increased corrosion. I always wipe my guns down as I put them away with a lightly oiled cloth..

I am a Forum User
    I try and clean after every use, but some firearms i shoot each week it may be after a few shooting sessions at the range. Those that may sit in safe for a long time and not used i clean/oil at least once or twice a year to check for any surface issues.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast