Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Spotting Scope or Baby Monitor?

Spotting Scope or Baby Monitor?

The longest range I have easy access to is 200 yards. I have a spotting scope, a cheap one, that is good for 100 yards, but it is a stretch for 200 yards. I have access to a Philips Avent SCD630 baby monitor. This is a wireless video monitor with a range of 328 yards between the camera and receiver. The receiver, video display has a built in rechargeable battery that last for a long time. The camera needs an external battery, which I have with a standard micro usb connection. I'm going to use a piece of 3" angle iron to set in front of the camera to protect it from stray shots and place it down range near the target. I know there is a commercial "target camera" systems, but it cost more than twice a much.

Anyone else using video for keeping a close eye on you target?Spotting Scope or Baby Monitor?
    The longest range I have easy access to is 200 yards. I have a spotting scope, a cheap one, that is good for 100 yards, but it is a stretch for 200 yards. I have access to a Philips Avent SCD630 baby monitor. This is a wireless video monitor with a range of 328 yards between the camera and receiver. The receiver, video display has a built in rechargeable battery that last for a long time. The camera needs an external battery, which I have with a standard micro usb connection. I'm going to use a piece of 3" angle iron to set in front of the camera to protect it from stray shots and place it down range near the target. I know there is a commercial "target camera" system, but it cost more than twice a much.

Anyone else using video for keeping a close eye on you target?

MGO Member
    Wow that must be an awesome monitor. Ours is only good for 70 yards on a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledhead View Post
    Wow that must be an awesome monitor. Ours is only good for 70 yards on a good day.
    I'll report back tomorrow after I have a chance to try it out. I'm thinking it will work out nicely. Here is a little more info on it, LINK

I am a Forum User
    wow let us know if it does work for you.

I am a Forum User
    Good idea but for $180 I don't think the price is right. Woot occasionally has Leupold spotting scopes that will easily get you out to 3-400 yards, and you can snag a 60x Bushnell or Redfield for that price any time you want.

I am a Forum User
    be interesting to see how it works in bright sun or on a sunny day. I have seen some high price electronic spotting devices set up and they have to build a tent around the screen to see it on a partly sunny/partly cloudy day. Let us know how it works out please.

I didn't make to the rifle range as planned. Maybe tomorrow. I will report back how it works out. The screen seems to have a fair amount of brightness. I'll try and take a few photos of it to post.

I am a Forum User
    Even with a $1k Kowa and a 60X eye piece, seeing holes in black at 200 yards is a crap shoot unless the sun has the target face well lit.

I managed to spend a few minutes at the range. Only managed to try out the monitor on the 100 yard range. It seemed to work pretty good, though the lighting could have been better. Sun was in the 2 O'clock position shining at me and shadow on the target. Also, the my phone camera has some type of harmonic distortion it made to the display. The display in life looks clearer than the photos. Anyway, here is a few photos of my first attempt at using the Philips Avent SCD630 baby monitor for spotting scope.

I am a Forum User
    200yds might be pushing it. That 328 yd rating is the best the manufacturer got with perfect conditions. It might do ok as it's totally line of sight. Let us know how it works at extended range.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast