Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

RSC/Safes... Unsure What To Buy

Why does something that should be easy... like buying a gun safe... have to be so confusing

New to firearms, have a growing pistol collection plus a shotgun. Maybe an AR one day. Small house, detached garage, no basement.

I almost bought a winchester 24 Silverado but saw they were built in China. Then a bighorn... alas similar issue.

Every time I think I have one picked out reasonably priced I find a bunch of info showing how easy they are to break into... it's daunting.

At this point I feel like I need to spend 2500-3000k on a safe... which seems kinda crazy.

I might be down to the liberty revere or the rhino ironworks.

Small house = has to look nice because there is no where to hide it. But the price hurts...

I don't know what to do in the short-term while I figure out my long term selection.

And then... is it a waste of 3k if everyone can break into these things called safes that are ready "residential security containers"

I've been looking at the furniture style concealment but no fire protection and my house would have to have all things firearm related concealed right... or a clever thief will know they are somewhere.

No kids, really just theft protection. I'm not going to go long gun crazy but my pistol collection will grow a bit more.

Opinions appreciated

Basement or not?
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

I am a Forum User
    No basement. Small little lake "house" (renovated cottage)

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

You may want to consider the weight of the safe, and you may have to reinforce the floor in the crawl space, under the floor in the area where the safe is kept. Also Bolt that rascal to the floor!!
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Quote Originally Posted by V1x3nV View Post
    Why does something that should be easy... like buying a gun safe... have to be so confusing

New to firearms, have a growing pistol collection plus a shotgun. Maybe an AR one day. Small house, detached garage, no basement.

I almost bought a winchester 24 Silverado but saw they were built in China. Then a bighorn... alas similar issue.

Every time I think I have one picked out reasonably priced I find a bunch of info showing how easy they are to break into... it's daunting.

At this point I feel like I need to spend 2500-3000k on a safe... which seems kinda crazy.

I might be down to the liberty revere or the rhino ironworks.

Small house = has to look nice because there is no where to hide it. But the price hurts...

I don't know what to do in the short-term while I figure out my long term selection.

And then... is it a waste of 3k if everyone can break into these things called safes that are ready "residential security containers"

I've been looking at the furniture style concealment but no fire protection and my house would have to have all things firearm related concealed right... or a clever thief will know they are somewhere.

No kids, really just theft protection. I'm not going to go long gun crazy but my pistol collection will grow a bit more.

Opinions appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    Basement or not?
    My only advice on the purchase of a safe is to carefully determine how big of a safe that you actually need, then DOUBLE it!

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    You may want to consider the weight of the safe, and you may have to reinforce the floor in the crawl space, under the floor in the area where the safe is kept. Also Bolt that rascal to the floor!!
    Are you kidding!! Ugh. How much can a typical floor hold...

How bad is concealment vs safe? And just taking out a rider for the value of the guns...

I feel though my guns on the street with thieves would make me feel very guilty

Is detached garage horrible idea? It's a concrete floor at least

Look at fire ratings and use that as a comparison.
    A safe is to discourage some one from breaking in. Even bank vaults can be defeated given enough time & energy.
    Bolting to the floor is an excellent suggestion.
    You can use the detached garage but it will make it easier to access by anyone. When ever the garage door is open it may be seen.
    Also, you may have more moisture problems.
    Moisture can be controlled by a golden rod. Golden rods need a outlet power, in the garage? Most safes these days have a plug built in.

MGO Board of Directors

I think the term "safe" is misleading, it should be a little safer than left out, or deterrent. I lived in small homes and apartments for a while, had a stack on in the closet as well as a small fire safe for some documents and small valuables and a few handguns, cost about $150. Most thieves want in and out as fast as they can, grab what they see that they can flip quick and go. Any type of locked cabinet ( not the glass doored cabinets) will deter many thieves. I was robbed years ago, stole gums from closet, money on dresser and watches I had left in the open, they didn't even take the bolt for the 30-06 that was out of the gun and on the dresser, as I mentioned, in and out. You can spend much more on a safe to get a good one that the value of the items you have in it, to me that's like paying $2,000 a year full coverage on a car that's worth $500. And your in an older lake cottage with a crawl space, your floor will certainly be overly strained with a larger heavy safe.

I am a Forum User
    That's very good to know and makes sense, I have probably 4 pistols that were each over 1k so it's not like I'd be replacing glocks... (haha couldn't resist)

I didnt even think about weight limits... do you have an idea what I should target?

I'm feeling like concealment stuff may work well for my scenario.

I am a Forum User
    I mean after reading your responses it feels less and less like a 3k safe is the way to go...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast