Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I am a Forum User

HK USP 9mm Expert - First Impressions & Range Report

I was a very impulsive girl this weekend and picked up a HK USP Expert 9mm (primarily for USPSA matches.) In my defense, it wasn't completely impulsive, I spotted it at my local range/gun store months ago and resisted because I couldn't think of a good excuse to buy it. USPSA matches (just started) gave me the excuse.

Saturday I put about 200 rounds through it (Blazer Brass, 115 gr) and no issues at all in terms of functions (no stove pipes, malfunctions, etc. Just the oh so satisfying pew pew pew with every trigger pull.) At about 20 yards I was shooting very consistently to the right. I'm still somewhat new to shooting (about 9 months actively taking classes, instruction, dedicated range time) so I'm still sorting things out. No pictures of that very sloppy target!

Today I had a quick session with my instructor. He quickly corrected my issue - I have a habit of shooting without bringing my thumb out. He always corrects me for it but once I start moving I think I drift back to my more comfortable grip until he notices and "yells" at me. *lol*

I have started trying to correct that habit and improve my grip, it will help my recoil control. I shoot left handed due to left eye dominance (but I'm right handed) - it turns out I was applying a bit too much pressure with my dominant hand which was pulling my shots right. Once I loosened my right hand grip a bit I was back on target in my normal way. (Thank goodness he figured it out because I was a very frustrated shooter Saturday! lol)

For reference, my main (firearm) squeeze is (maybe was...) an HK P30 - this is my security blanket firearm. I shoot a 1911 too but I don't think its fair to compare it to that.

Okay, now we can focus on the HK Expert...

HK USP 9mm Expert.jpg

*Trigger*

This trigger and reset - just wow - swoon

It is so smooth and such a beautiful feeling pull. I've grown accustomed to DA/SA (to the rough p30 da pull even lol) and the DA just feels nice. Nice enough that my DA shots aren't too shoddy!

The SA pull reminds me so much of my S&W pc1911. I know the wall/break point on the 1911 is shorter (its about 3#; someone once felt it and said less than that even) However, this SA pull feels so close to it. More discernable though to find that wall/break than the 1911.

*Reset*

The reset is short (I think) because once it reset (and I missed it) and I took a follow on shot more rapidly than I meant to (I have an eager trigger finger once I'm on target.) I was a bit more careful with it from there to make sure I was slowing down enough to control it.

*Recoil*
    The recoil looked manageable in my instructors hands. I have small hands and a poor grip (as mentioned above) so improving my grip and driving the gun forward to control the recoil will be key for me - I imagine the recoil feels very easy to manage for a slightly more experienced shooter.

The recoil doesn't feel too bad for me. One would think in comparison to the p30 and p30sk the recoil would feel better than those shorter barrel guns... but I think I feel most comfortable with the p30sk in terms of recoil. It might be a hand size/grip thing and a lighter gun so I drive it better. Plus, I'm simply very comfy with the P30 line. As an example, my pinky rests on the lip of a standard flush 10 round p30sk mag.

Perhaps because this Expert is a bigger, heavier gun there is a new learning curve for me with it from that perspective. The grip is a bit thick for my hands but not to the point that it feels like I can't handle it. Just an adjustment.

*Sights*
    I am ordering a red fiber optic front sight (thanks for the size/brand on the other thread!) This has a competition sight that can be adjusted. My 1911 has the same style (and I'm thinking I should pick a fiber optic up for that.) Perhaps because my 1911 is more of a range king (his name is Rocky) versus active/movement based shooting I never noticed how much harder it is to pick up black on black sight picture. We shot black steel too so I think it was black on black on black. I notice from low ready to threat I was wiggling it a bit more than I do with the P30's to feel like my picture was lined up.

When I didn't worry as much about sight picture and just shot it my placement was great. Once I started trying to be a bit more precise (we switch between precise and point in our exercises) I found myself "searching" for it. Once I my shots created silver dings it was easier for me to find my front sights (and even easier on the plates)

Regardless, I'm ordering the red fiber optic front sight this week. In the meantime I might put a red nail polish dab. lol

Ergonomics

I won't repeat myself too much here. As stated above, the grip feels thick to me but I have small hands. The backstrap is aggressive. In combination with some FN shooting Friday plus shooting this Saturday I ended up with a large painful blister on my left hand. My current solution to this will be goat/rock tape for matches.

Everything else on this guns feels great... nice balance (as far as I can tell), I love ambi controls because I shoot left but switch back and forth sometimes.

The mag release is little in comparison to p30 and takes a bit more force to decompress. I'm sure it will loosen up. In this case, I think its a benefit. We won't discuss it too much but its possible once or twice or so I've released my mag by hitting the paddle while attempting to shoot. I search a bit for it more than the p30 but its just a small adjustment.

The decocker/safety combo is kind of cool. I wonder why they didn't repeat that with the p30. The p30 decocker button is awkward because I'm shooting left handed so its a weird reach. I already found myself enjoying that I can decock it with either hand easily.

Jet thing seems cool - like it will help me seed (is that the term?) the magazine more securely when moving quickly (haha I am so slow on stages) with reloads. I haven't yet practiced mag changes much but it just feels smooth to remove and insert a mag. I think that's the purpose of it...

I prefer the p30 economics actually. But, I really really like this beast. It just feels more like a beast in comparison.

Overall

I can see why people keep complimenting what a great gun it is - even those that prefer glocks, FN, non-HK's etc, don't hesitate to compliment the gun once its in their hands and they feel the trigger. I love it, despite it not be quite as comfy as my p30, I can see why it is considered a quality match gun. So, for it's purpose I think it is pretty darn perfect. It's a sexy beast of a weapon! I can't wait to share my match results with it as I learn more and improve.

Placement

HK USP 9mm Expert w Target.jpg

HK USP Expert Target.jpg

My groupings were not too terribly bad on the paper plates. I wish I could erase that one that came out a bit far out of the dot! Blazer brass 115 grain at 5 yards

The steel target was a mix of Expert and p30sk (range report next up.) The shot at the top of the head was a DA shot - as was the shoulder shot.

I did pretty abysmal last Friday on steel plates. I'm looking forward to a re-match with the Expert!
    Last edited by V1x3nV; 09-14-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I love my Experts.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    I can see why - awesome gun!

I suppose my first range report is a bit verbose.... I'm going to try and be more concise in my next one. lol

I am a Forum User
    Well HK makes high quality pistols.. And there is a big fan community of the USP model.
    Last edited by JimSig; 09-14-2016 at 09:18 PM.

I am a Forum User
    great report

I am a Forum User
    Great range report and pics!