Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

I am a Forum User

HK p30sk (v3) & Lazy Wolf Guns "Master Reset Package /w nickle plating" - Range Report

Last month I received my HK p30sk back from Rick from Lazy Wolf Gun's. I didn't own my p30sk very long before having it cerakoted and then sending it for the work with Rick.

This is the v3 p30sk (sks technically I think due to the safety) - I absolutely love my hk p30 so as soon as the sk came out I had to have it as my EDC. One of the drawbacks to the hk p30 was the da/sa brutal trigger. It has, over time, improved (or I got used to it?) but I was quickly in search of options to improve the trigger and reset.

I researched a few places and emailed Rick. He responded quickly and thoroughly (I asked a lot of silly questions.) I settled on the the following services two packages (details at the bottom of the post and on LWG's page)

HK-Hammer Fired Master Reduced Reset Action Package (HK-HF-MRAP) - $315
    Electroless Nickel Refinishing on Internal Steel Action Parts - $45

So, I was in about $360 for the work. Cheap? No... but his reputation and responsiveness spoke volumes. I wasn't going to risk a bad trigger job to save money on my EDC (or any gun.)

Now, with further ado - lets introduce the pretty p30sk...

HK p30sk v3 left.jpg HK p30sk v3 right.jpg

Trigger & Reset

You may (or may not) have read my review of my new Expert. My instructor and I fired these pistols side by side. And, yes, the Expert is probably still superior but it feels so close to the Expert its incredible.

The double action pull is lighter/feels less resistant to the wall. In comparison to the p30 (which I thought felt better out of the box than the p30sk) it is smooth and doesn't feel as forced as the factory pull.

The single action pull is lighter and much more crisp. Follow on shots with it feel easy and natural.

The reset has been cleaned up and improved. My instructor described the comparison to the p30 (he never fired the p30sk prior to work) as less gritty, cleaner and overall improved. He is a Glock guy but he gave it back and said "I can't fire this too much or I'll convert" I feel like "glock people" are very hard on the HK trigger. So, if a glock guy/firearm instructor liked it... it must be good!

Recoil

I don't notice the recoil on the p30sk; I used it in my 2nd USPSA match and people said they could see the gun being flippy but I don't really feel it. It probably does take me a bit more time in to get back in target (than other more common USPSA match guns.) It is a short barrel so in theory it should feel more recoil than the longer versions but again I just don't notice it in a negative way. I am able to get back on target and take quality follow-up shots regardless of the recoil.

My stage speed aside, I was getting quality hits with this little gun while moving through the stages. I'm still learning the spot but I had an all alpha stage with it so I doubt the recoil is interfering much with my accuracy.

Sights

This gun has True Dot night sights on it. My p30 has the painted HK night sights that require recharging. I like those sights but I've seen posts about how as a carry gun those recharging sights don't work well because its holstered. I find sight alignment pretty easy to acquire with this gun. I haven't done any low light work with it yet.

p30sk sights-1.jpgp30sk sights-2.jpg

Ergonomics

Ahhh the p30 series... talk about a gun that just feels right in your hands. The balance, the grip, the way it feels while you shoot... its all confidence inspiring. The p30 was a great gun for me to learn on and the p30sk is my perfect carry gun (it's a bite wide but so far I can conceal it no problem.) I'm confident in this gun - in my ability with it and its durability and performance.

Unlike others who review this gun... I have very small hands. My pinky rests comfortably on the lip of the flush mag. So, for me, no need for extenders or anything. I used p30 mags in the match just because I have more and there was no problem switching between mag sizes throughout the match.

p30sk grip.jpg

Targets & Performance Comments

I've put about 600 rounds now through it between the match, some time with it at the range and time with instructor. So, still pretty low round count. The match I used reloads that a very generous person gave me to help with recoil (so about 250 ish maybe were reloads) and the rest have been Blazer Brass 115 grain. I've never had any issues with it (double feeds, stove pipes, not going fully back into battery, etc.) Thinking about it... I don't think I've ever had to tap, rack and reassess with it! I pull the trigger and this baby goes bang for me every time.

I had my instructor also fire 3 shots into a plate because I wasn't sure if my shooting would do a range report justice. I didn't want poor shooting to make the Rick's work look bad! However, our plates look similar (3 shots, 5 yards) so instead I think he was happy to see his instruction showing improvement in my skill. lol

p30sk Target.jpg
    PB Target p30sk.jpgVA Target p30sk.jpg

This one was an Expert & p30sk mix

Steel Fun.jpg

Overall Impression

Without being too repetitive - I love everything about this gun. I trust it as my EDC and would still use it in matches at times for practice. No, its not a "match gun" but it does it job very well. And, in reality, its more important that I would trust it as a self defense tool than a match tool. It's just very well suited to my needs and forgiving of things other guns don't show forgiveness for like weak/poor grip (new shooter, still working on it!)

The reality is if I ever (and I hope I never ever have to use it for this purpose) need to defend myself from a threat; my grip is probably going to be at its worst. And, I am pretty confident that my gun will still go bang when I need it to in the worst possible scenario.

Customer Service @LGW

Rick is very responsive and has great customer service skills. My wait time as a bit longer than initially anticipated because of a very busy summer for him. But, he communicated frequently, always responded quickly and gave me confidence that all was well just a bit delayed. His wait times should be going back down in a month or so - then my p30 is going his way for the same package.

Customer Service @GunnWerks

Sergio (MGO member) at GunnWerks did the cerakote work on this. I get a lot of compliments on it at the range. He's an awesome guy, does great work and his prices are reasonable. He also gives military/LEO discounts as well. I'd highly recommend him.

Details of LWG Packages Selected

HK-Hammer Fired Master Reduced Reset Action Package (HK-HF-MRAP) - $315

•Includes HK Armorers Inspection and Cleaning Service.
    •Includes HK Comprehensive Action Cleanup Service.
    •Available for ALL HK models and variants of DA/SA and LEM pistols.
    •Provides a significant reduction in reset travel.
    •Eliminates excessive over-travel.
    •Full smoothing, tuning, and refitting of internal action components.
    •Full feed and reliability work.
    •Maintains all factory safety values.
    •Includes range testing, sight regulation and zero
    •Your choice of factory weight springs, or reduced power springs to achieve either 5.0-5.5lb or 4.0-4.5lb single action break weight, and 10.0lb-10.5lb or 9.0lb-9.5lb double action weight.
    •This service yields a superiorly smooth and clean feel to all motions of the trigger, and is an essential service for those who desire the best possible operator interface, with the highest quality action services. This action service easily transitions from carry, duty, to range and competition use.

Electroless Nickel Refinishing on Internal Steel Action Parts - $45
    •Available add-on to any action work service package.
    •Provides reduced friction coefficient and superior lubricity to internal steel action components.
    •Customer can request this finish for all applicable internal action parts, or only those which are NOT externally visible to maintain a factory appearance.
    Last edited by V1x3nV; 09-14-2016 at 09:57 PM.