Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question on Keeping a Gun Safe in the Garage

I kept my gun safe in the finished basement of my old house. I have since moved and plan on keeping my gun safe in the attached garage of my new home until I finish the basement. The garage and garage door are insulated, but not heated. My concern is the garage going from warm to cold with the season changes and possible moisture issues. Anyone else store their safe in an attached garage? Any Suggestions?

I am a Forum User
    I would not do it for two reasons
    #1 Concern of the garage going from warm to cold with the season changes and possible moisture issues.
    #2 If your garage is any thing like mine every tool someone would need to break open the safe is right there.
    I would move it into the basement and work around it during the remodel work.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 acp View Post
    I would not do it for two reasons
    #1 Concern of the garage going from warm to cold with the season changes and possible moisture issues.
    #2 If your garage is any thing like mine every tool someone would need to break open the safe is right there.
    I would move it into the basement and work around it during the remodel work.
    I agree with 45acp on this. Perhaps build a heavy duty platform dolly so it will be easy to move away from the busy work areas until you finish its final resting place, after all, you are an Engineer.
    "Tell Me No Lies, I'll ask you No Questions"

NRA Life Member
    MGO Member

NRA RSO

NRA CRSO
    MOC Member

Unless otherwise noted, my posts represent my personal opinion, and are not an official position, opinion, or endorsement by MGO or the MGO BOD.

Question on Keeping a Gun Safe in the Garage

I have mine bolted in the garage. 2 reasons for this I don't have basement and all my rooms are in use. Been there for 2 years and my guns look great. Ya it's a risk, both my neighbors are retired and watch our house. If I had a basement it would be there. But you work with what you got.

I keep my stuff well oiled and get wiped down every time they go in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Wire a lamp socket and keep a 60 watt bulb going when it gets cold

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    Wire a lamp socket and keep a 60 watt bulb going when it gets cold
    How much heat does a 60 watt equivalent CFL or LED put out?

You surely wouldn't be running an incandescent bulb would you?

Banned
    Yes I wood

MGO Member
    Get a Golden Rod if you are worried about moisture in the garage.
    Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.

I am a Forum User
    Mine is in my barn, I have a finished basement but with my knees I only go there when I have to (To do payroll once a week). I have a room I built in my barn, its heated / air conditioned year around and has an alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by gjgalligan View Post
    Get a Golden Rod if you are worried about moisture in the garage.
    All that the "Goldenrod" is, is a small 4~7 watt resistance heater. You would get the same out of having an incandescent night-light (4w) or small appliance bulb (15w) burning in there. And the light bulb/fixture is cheaper.

I would stay away from something as big as 60w, depending on the size of the safe, it could dry out wood and paper to the point of it being brittle.

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast