Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    60 w is for January/February weather

I am a Forum User
    you don't need it in the dry winter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
    you don't need it in the dry winter.
    Ugh, yes you do

MGO Member
    I kept a safe in the garage for 3 years in Missouri. Electric safe heater and disposable dehumidifier / desiccant (I use the disposable ones found in the "closet" section of Home Depot) were used the whole time. No issues with rust.

My bigger concern was break-in. The best way to avoid theft is to not let anyone know you have anything. I kept the safe covered, and had a big shelf in front of it so it wasn't visible from the street when the garage door was open. I wouldn't open the safe except when the garage door was closed. I also bolted it to the cement slab.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb32 View Post
    I agree with 45acp on this. Perhaps build a heavy duty platform dolly so it will be easy to move away from the busy work areas until you finish its final resting place, after all, you are an Engineer.
    FWIW, I move my safe around with a regular old furniture dolly I bought at TSC (Harbor Freight sells them too.. It's just a 2 wheeled cart with a strap). My safe weighs around 400lbs and I was even able to push it through my yard to get it in my basement walkout door. I think I'd get one to move the safe around as needed, and while they're both near each other during the remodel, I'd probably drop the pins out of the axle on the cart and store the wheels IN the safe until you get it bolted down in its home.

MGO Member
    I have had my safe in the garage for over four years now with only a goldenrod in it and no problems. I at least oil them once a year if I haven't shot them. No problems with paper become brittle either. Safe is bolted to the floor with some plastic shims under it.

I am a Forum User
    I have had one in my garage (non-heated) for about 3 years now, I've always stored my firearm with a 4"x2" desiccant bag in there with it. Never had any moisture/rust problems whatsoever.

My safe is in a small office in the back of my garage. I keep the garage at about 45° during the winter and have a small space heaterin the office which keeps it around 50°.
    I put a small light fixture inside the safe and run a 25 watt bulb to keep it warm and dry inside. I have a couple anti-rust vapor blocks in there as well.
    Haven't had any problems with rust or moisture.
    Life is too serious to take too seriously.
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    Celebrate Recovery! Member & Group Coach

did you do it?

It would make me too nervous.

Make sure you understand dew point, and inside and outside temperature, inside and outside humidity and what happens when you do things the wrong way.

Guns are basically the only thing that would matter if they got soaked with moisture, and inside a safe is a disaster.

I would feel better with them just in a steamer trunk, foot locker, back of my closet than in the garage.

I always fear moisture more than theft.

MGO LIFE Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    How much heat does a 60 watt equivalent CFL or LED put out?

You surely wouldn't be running an incandescent bulb would you?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rAcc1W...ature=youtu.be

We use incandescent lights for reptile and terrarium temperature control along side it’s lighting, often because “heat bulbs” are too much heat. We also use incandescent bulb to heat a well pump enclosed outdoors at a cabin... incandescent has its uses. It may be more efficient to use a purpose built safe dehumidifier “heat stick “ but I haven’t looked at what one draws compared to well, 60 Watts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast