Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Question Shotgun/Rifle in trunk

Hello, just made an account here, you all seem very knowledgable so figured why not.

Okay, so I know in the state of Michigan, I can legally transport a rifle/shotgun in my vehicle as long as it is in a case not accessible or unloaded inaccessible in my trunk; Also, so long as it is not readily accessible to any occupants of the vehicle.
    Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. What is legally defined in Michigan as a "case" that will hold the rifle in my vehicle? My seats fold down. (Zipper case?)

2. If the ammunition is out of the rifle can one carry the loaded magazine in their pocket (or in an unlocked glove box?) for ease of access need the situation arise? ('cause zombies and stuff)

3. What is legally defined as "inaccessible"

I plan to do this for self defense as some of the areas I visit are not the most wholesome places to be for business. And as the gods may have it, I cannot purchase a pistol at this current point...but can buy a rifle...don't ask. haha. Thanks guys and gals!

324.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting license not required; hunting on game bird hunting preserve; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.
    Sec. 43513.

(1) An individual may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle. An individual may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

&

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 227d.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:

(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.

(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

The wording confuses me.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Billymayz View Post
    Hello, just made an account here, you all seem very knowledgable so figured why not.

Okay, so I know in the state of Michigan, I can legally transport a rifle/shotgun in my vehicle as long as it is in a case not accessible or unloaded inaccessible in my trunk; Also, so long as it is not readily accessible to any occupants of the vehicle.
    Anyways, I have a few questions:

1. What is legally defined in Michigan as a "case" that will hold the rifle in my vehicle? My seats fold down. (Zipper case?)

2. If the ammunition is out of the rifle can one carry the loaded magazine in their pocket (or in an unlocked glove box?) for ease of access need the situation arise? ('cause zombies and stuff)

3. What is legally defined as "inaccessible"

I plan to do this for self defense as some of the areas I visit are not the most wholesome places to be for business. And as the gods may have it, I cannot purchase a pistol at this current point...but can buy a rifle...don't ask. haha. Thanks guys and gals!
    Transporting a rifle or shotgun is much easier then a pistol.

1) A case is not "required". but is about the easiest way.
    2) It may be "accessible" to the occupants of the vehicle.
    3) It doesn't have to be in the trunk.3

It MUST be UNLOADED and ONE of either....

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

Your rifle can be transported on the seat next to you if it is unloaded and in a case.
    Your rifle can be transported on the seat next to you if it is unloaded and broken down. (in or out of a case)
    Your rifle can be transported in the trunk unloaded in or out of a case, broken down or not.

I am a Forum User
    ^this^

Just woke up my bad didn't read

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Transporting a rifle or shotgun is much easier then a pistol.

1) A case is not "required". but is about the easiest way.
    2) It may be "accessible" to the occupants of the vehicle.
    3) It doesn't have to be in the trunk.3

It MUST be UNLOADED and ONE of either....

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

Your rifle can be transported on the seat next to you if it is unloaded and in a case.
    Your rifle can be transported on the seat next to you if it is unloaded and broken down. (in or out of a case)
    Your rifle can be transported in the trunk unloaded in or out of a case, broken down or not.
    What if my trunk has fold down seats, is it still deemed inaccessible?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I am a Forum User
    yes

Okay, so let's say I get pulled over. Shotgun in the trunk. Out of the case. But my seats fold down. I'm all gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Billymayz View Post
    Okay, so let's say I get pulled over. Shotgun in the trunk. Out of the case. But my seats fold down. I'm all gold?

I wouldn't personally risk that. If my back seat folded down, I would probably put it in a case or take down the firearm. The laws in IN are slightly different, and only require the firearm and ammo to be separated and not both available to the driver, but it's basically same-same anyhow. I run this gambit in my standard cab truck by putting the gun behind the seat, and the ammo in the bed. I could keep the ammo in the cab, and even though you'd have to be rail thin and have the flexibility of Gumby to get to the gun, some prosecutor could make that case and get me in trouble for nothing anyhow. I'm going to use my pistol for defense anyhow so it's not a big deal to "transport" a long gun extra legally for me.