Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Cheap ammo storage cabinet ideas?

I have more ammo than I have room for on my current ammo rack and within my safe. I'm looking for a cheap (<$150) solution to store around 20,000+ rnds in the factory ammo boxes they came in(not interested in dumping them loosely into ammo cans at this time). I would like to be able to seal the storage unit up a bit so I can control humidity via a dry rod and some reusable desiccant packs. I am looking for something like a metal locker/cabinet with shelving that can hold around 80-100+lbs per shelf. I can devise a way to make it seal up decently...

I have metal NSF racks from Menards...The shelves can't hold what I need them to. I also have a humidity controlled room but have gotten tired of having to empty the dehumidifier(no near by drain to run it to) and the "wasted" electricity from it constantly running. If I had the option to run my dehumidifier to a drain, I would consider just building some wooden shelves(wouldn't reduce the electricity usage though).

Suggestions?
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 10-02-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Banned
    Have you thought about a old fridge or freezer?

Toss the ammo into ammo can. In the boxes of course, then stack them up.

A chest type freezer is the bomb

I store all my stuff in factory boxes, in 50cal ammo cans w/silica desiccant packages. I have all of the stuff stored & broken down by qty, cal, prices, ammo can number -- in an inventory spreadsheet. I know how much I have, how much I paid for it, what can they are in, etc. The cans are staged by what I use most, in multiple locations on my property. Seems to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    Have you thought about a old fridge or freezer?

Toss the ammo into ammo can. In the boxes of course, then stack them up.

A chest type freezer is the bomb
    Fridge or freezer is a pretty good idea...I could easily add a lock to it too.

I could sort it all into plastic crates that stack and throw them in something(like a fridge/freezer) too I guess vs needing sturdy shelving...

I'm thinking I'd need way too many ammo cans for the amount I'm looking to store thus the cabinet of some sort thought. I could fill another safe easily with ammo alone...Was thinking a cheapy safe but not sure the shelves will hold 80+ lbs.

I like the idea of being able to open the storage unit and seeing the humidity level of all my ammo vs having a gazillion ammo cans.

I like where this is going...
    Last edited by Cocowheats; 10-02-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Banned
    You can hardwire a light socket in the freezer and just run a incandescent bulb for heat and moisture control.

I installed a trouble light cover as a shield to limit bulb breakage when peeking at my stash.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterspirit View Post
    You can hardwire a light socket in the freezer and just run a incandescent bulb for heat and moisture control.

I installed a trouble light cover as a shield to limit bulb breakage when peeking at my stash.
    Sort of what I was thinking although I'll probably just use the spare Peat safe heater I have laying around since I already have it and have been satisfied with the other one I use in my safe.

A lot of units have a pressure switch for interior lighting too...I can bypass the pump and what not so only the interior lighting gets power which is a kind of cool bonus.

Time to see what Craigslist has I guess...

I am a Forum User
    I've got several of these for non-secure storage. They work well for the price, so long as your focus and expectation is a steel box that locks with a key.
    I have a couple that store reloading components, and finished ammo. Otherwise, I stack in airtight milsurp ammo cans / boxes for other ammo.
    What I like about them is they're quick and easy to build shelves in with 1x pine from the local lowesdepot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-...ype=10&veh=aff

Quote Originally Posted by Quads View Post
    I've got several of these for non-secure storage. They work well for the price, so long as your focus and expectation is a steel box that locks with a key.
    I have a couple that store reloading components, and finished ammo. Otherwise, I stack in airtight milsurp ammo cans / boxes for other ammo.
    What I like about them is they're quick and easy to build shelves in with 1x pine from the local lowesdepot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-...ype=10&veh=aff
    Those cheap stackon cabinets were sort of my initial plan.

How'd you go about making your shelving? I was thinking I'd have to run 4 vertical posts inside it in the 4 corners to attach horizontal boards to for the shelving. Didn't think it would be sturdy enough to drill through the cabinet and attach horizontal boards directly to the cabinet without some frame work. Easy enough either route...

I am a Forum User
    I ran (IIRC, it's been a couple years) a 1X10 up the sides, then put some adjustable rail on it with clips that then allowed me to put shelves in where I liked. I used 1X6 for the shelves.
    Like I said, it works well for me. It keeps kids sticky and curious fingers out of ammo, reloading components, and such.

I didn't want to drill anything in to the box, and I wanted it to be configurable with minimal effort (read: I'm lazy). So I can pull the 50cal cans and throw a couple shelves in there within minutes. EZPZ. The wood free stands in the cabinet. Measure twice, cut once.

Cheap ammo storage cabinet ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Cocowheats View Post
    Those cheap stackon cabinets were sort of my initial plan.

How'd you go about making your shelving? I was thinking I'd have to run 4 vertical posts inside it in the 4 corners to attach horizontal boards to for the shelving. Didn't think it would be sturdy enough to drill through the cabinet and attach horizontal boards directly to the cabinet without some frame work. Easy enough either route...
    I use the same cabinet. I'll take some better pics of my shelving when I get home tonight but I'm 240lbs and can step on the shelves without worrying about it and they took up minimal room. I used 1x12 pine boards for the sides and shelves. The ammo cabinet and my safe are bursting at the seams with ammo now; about to move onto another one.

Last edited by SpartyME; 10-03-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast