Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am a Forum User
    Speed of sound is only around 340m/s, or 1,150 fps. Pretty much any .22lr will do that. The media you are looking at might have a great variation in malleability depending on temperature. Something to consider in November.

As far as providing a convex surface, look at our Earth's surface. We are talking a big scale. Surfaces are effectively flat to meteor impact. Local topography has a far greater effect than the curvature of a spherical surface.

There are examples of this in slow motion with lead ingot targets on YouTube, check some out to get a better feel for what may work best for his testing.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    "Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

I am a Forum User
    I guess you may need to get a chrono also, for sicence of course. And some high speed cameras capable of capturing the impact.

Wax projectiles in a sabot out of a 410 could also work.

Also if the fps using a 410 is too high then maybe an air cannon using a sabot. Just be sure to use all metal construction of the air cannon NOT PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by nmuskier View Post
    Speed of sound is only around 340m/s, or 1,150 fps. Pretty much any .22lr will do that.
    The speed of sound actually varies depending on the density of the medium, among other factors. Sound travels faster in liquids than in air, and even faster through solids. For example, the speed of sound in water is 1,484 m/s, and it's 5,120 m/s in solid iron. We want to get as close as we can to the speed of sound in the solid target medium.
    Last edited by Scandiacus; 10-30-2016 at 11:55 AM. Reason: corrected explanation

Quote Originally Posted by DV8r View Post
    There are examples of this in slow motion with lead ingot targets on YouTube, check some out to get a better feel for what may work best for his testing.
    Ooh, I'd like to see that. Do you have a link? I couldn't find any after a few minutes of searching YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelk View Post
    I guess you may need to get a chrono also, for sicence of course. And some high speed cameras capable of capturing the impact.
    He's not too worried about precise velocity - this is more proof of concept, I guess, to see if we even can capture formation and collapse of transient craters. Calculating the likely velocity is sufficient for our purposes. We do have high speed video recording capability.

Quote Originally Posted by Scandiacus View Post
    Ooh, I'd like to see that. Do you have a link? I couldn't find any after a few minutes of searching YouTube.
    This is one of the better videos. It shows all kinds of impacts, but it doesn't tell you any specs on anything:

[youtube]QfFoMyMoiX4[/youtube]

This is a short one of shooting lead pellets at a small bar of lead. It is not as dramatic has the high power rifle impacts.

[youtube]wIk2ZuSZD-U[/youtube]

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    Lead targets are going to create a fair amount of aerosol lead with these impacts on lead plates and the environmental Nazis are going to give you a hard time. Soft AA 1100 aluminum alloys are usually used for such studies.

You can achieve the same effect with other materials by selecting alternate projectile/target materials with comparable kinematic (not dynamic) viscosity ratios. There are a fair number of classified military studies of this subject, and a few unclassified studies sponsored by NASA. Google 'projectile impact study' using their scholastic search function.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12