Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unattended Firearm results in – 2 Children Injured

6-year-old girl, 5-year-old boy injured after accidental shooting in Clare

By Andy Hoag | ahoag@mlive.com
    November 01, 2016 at 10:49 AM
    Link: http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2016/11/6-year-old_girl_5-year-old_boy.html

CLARE, MI — Two young children were injured when one of them accidentally fired a handgun inside a vehicle, police say.

A 6-year-old girl and her 5-year-old boy relative both suffered gunshot wounds about 10:30 a.m. Monday, Oct. 31, outside a home on Schoolcrest, said Clare Police Chief Brian Gregory.

A biological grandmother of one of the children was picking the children up from the home of their aunt and uncle, Gregory said. The grandmother schools the children at her home, the chief said.

When the boy entered the grandmother's van, he picked up a 9mm pistol resting in the door of the van and accidentally fired it, Gregory said. The bullet went through the boy's hand and struck the girl in the thigh, Gregory said.

Both children were hospitalized, and Gregory said he expects them to be released Tuesday.

Gregory said the gun is registered to a family member and that the grandmother said she did not know it was in the vehicle.

"It's all a family tragedy," he said. "It's just a neglect on the person's end for forgetting where he left it."

Gregory would not release the name of the individual to whom the gun is registered. The police department will submit its reports to the Clare County Prosecutor's Office for review on Friday, Gregory said.

"Whether you're a CPL holder or not, when you're in possession of a handgun, you need to know where it is," Gregory said. "All the time."

================================================== ===============================

Clare children injured in shooting expected to be released from hospital
    By Susan Field, sfield@michigannewspapers.com
    Link: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/M...NEWS/161109872
    Posted: 11/03/16, 11:04 AM EDT | Updated: 13 hrs ago

Two Clare children were expected to be released from a Saginaw hospital Tuesday after one accidentally shot himself and the other on their way to home schooling Monday.

The unnamed 5-year-old boy and 6-year-old girl were first treated at Mid-Michigan Medical Center-Clare on Monday before being transferred to Covenant Hospital for treatment, Clare Police Chief Brian Gregory said.

The 6-year-old’s grandmother was picking up a group of children from a relative’s house in the 500 block of Schoolcrest to take them to home schooling when the 5-year-old, her foster child, found a 9 mm handgun in a door panel of the van the woman was driving, Gregory said, noting that the woman didn’t know the weapon was in the vehicle.

The boy accidentally discharged the gun, shooting through the palm of his hand and into the girl’s upper thigh, Gregory said.

The gun is owned by one of the woman’s sons, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, Gregory said.

The incident remains under investigation, and the Clare County Sheriff’s Department and Mobile Medical Response assisted at the scene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by zcolt45; 11-06-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: chg title

I am a Forum User
    I wonder if the owner was forced to leave it in the car if he/she had entered a PFZ, and maybe forgot about it?

CPL Holders Unattended Firearm - Shot Two Children

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep olllllo View Post
    I wonder if the owner was forced to leave it in the car if he/she had entered a PFZ, and maybe forgot about it?
    That's an awful thing to happen, I feel bad for the two kids. The owner very well may have forgotten his pistol there to enter a PFZ. Whatever the case maybe it's the owners responsibility to keep it safe. I could see how he could have innocently left it there, but you can't forget about it! This story is exactly why. I'm glad the two young ones are okay. Yet another reason to get rid of PFZ's
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I am a Forum User
    Another prime example why "Gun Safety" should be taught in public school from grade K - 12.

CPL Holders Unattended Firearm - Shot Two Children

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    Another prime example why "Gun Safety" should be taught in public school from grade K - 12.
    I like that concept but I honestly don't know where I stand on that idea. School should be for teaching kids math, science, history and all that fun stuff. It's the job of mom and dad to bring up the child and teach them everything about life. I understand that life is different now, a growing number of kids have only a mom or only a dad and they have to have a job or both mom and dad work. I'm sure most anti gun people with kids would never dream of teaching their kids about firearm safety, and I think that is a huge mistake on their part. If it came up as of right now I would vote for Gun safety in schools only because some parents are too ignorant to teach it to their own kids. Even if it's a toy gun they could still use it as a prop to educate. It would be a shame to have to have schools do the job of parents but that seems to be the way of the world. So even though I'm against schools doing the job of parents (if they start going the parents jobs, teachers will impose their views even more so than they do now on the kids.) I would be for this just because it could save lives. I would not hold your breath.. most people that I'm aware of in the education line of work are anti gun and would fight that until their last breath.
    Last edited by Mark AP; 11-04-2016 at 01:44 PM.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark AP View Post
    I like that concept but I honestly don't know where I stand on that idea. School should be for teaching kids math, science, history and all that fun stuff. It's the job of mom and dad to bring up the child and teach them everything about life. I understand that life is different now, a growing number of kids have only a mom or only a dad and they have to have a job or both mom and dad work. I'm sure most anti gun people with kids would never dream of teaching their kids about firearm safety, and I think that is a huge mistake on their part. If it came up as of right now I would vote for Gun safety in schools only because some parents are too ignorant to teach it to their own kids. Even if it's a toy gun they could still use it as a prop to educate. It would be a shame to have to have schools do the job of parents but that seems to be the way of the world. So even though I'm against schools doing the job of parents I would be for this just because it could save lives. I would not hold your breath.. most people that I'm aware of in the education line of work are anti gun and would fight that until their last breath.
    How could ANYONE be against SAFETY & EDUCATION ?

Do these people WANT children killed?
    What other motivation could they have for opposing Education in Gun Safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader View Post
    How could ANYONE be against SAFETY & EDUCATION ?

Do these people WANT children killed?
    What other motivation could they have for opposing Education in Gun Safety?
    I have no idea but it is definitely out there.

I am a Forum User
    I'm taking a play from Saul and the Dems...

In my best whiny voice, " But it's for the children, how can Anyone be against That."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

PFZ or not, this is gun owner negligence! Glad the kids will be okay.

I'm gonna pick a nit here. A "pet peeve" of mine.

The title/headline of this thread is misleading and incorrect!

Nothing personal OP, but I take issue with "CPL Holders Unattended Firearm - Shot Two Children". The inanimate firearm did not shoot anyone.

That kind of statement is what I would expect from the anti's. Again, as I said, nothing personal. I don't believe you intended to blame the firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast