Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

KROGER

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User

Ruger American 450 Bushmaster Scope

Lets hear everyones $.02 on a scope and rings for a Ruger American 450 bushmaster.

Just picked mine up last weekend.

Post, opinionate and flame away.

I think the Nikon Buck master is a fine scope for most applications. Not sure about mounts. Have fun with it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=niko...obile&ie=UTF-8

I am a Forum User
    A budget range would help nail down some options without being all over the place between $50 & $1,000.

I hunted with a E1 on my 450 BM this year. I liked the radical with the small dots for range including wind drift. This is a big bullet and I hunt in some spots with 5-10 mph cross winds often and 150 yd shots. Having a dot for that distance with wing drift is nice. Down side is that it is hard to pick out the small dots and lines those last few minutes of the day.

The American IIRC come with Weaver bases, so any name brand ring that fits Weaver style bases should work. There is no problems with Weaver brand rings if you can accept their looks, they are probably one of the stronger designs on the market and, low priced.

The 450 kicks. recoil energy is somewhere in the slug gun range but a little sharper IMO. Not abusive, but I wouldn't want to shoot more then a box off the bench at a sitting if I didn't have to. (yep, I'm a wuss )

I won't recommend a specific scope, but will say don't go with a $129 Dunhams special. I saw two 450's, 1 a AR, 1 a Ruger American destroy the scopes on them this fall, a Bushnell and one Dunhams special. A RO friend told me of one on a Ruger he saw loose the crosshairs. That I believe was a Vortex Crossfire.

I would try to stay with low to medium rings if possible along with a lighter weight scope of good reputation. This eliminates big bells on the scope, and high magnification in most cases. Make sure all screws are tight, and be aware rests like the lead sled put all the recoil back on the rifle as they take it off you. Especially if you add a bag of shot to the sled. That I feel was the problem with the Bushnell, the guy had his AR tied down and 2 bags of shot on the sled. Stick with bags when you sight in.

BTW eye relief in the choice of scope is a consideration also. I gave a guy on the range a paper towel, then a gauze pad after the third whack on the bridge of his nose from a scope mounted a bit too far back this fall. Yep a Ruger American 450 Bushy . He had some stones though, and did manage to get it sighted in.

I've sort of changed my mind. I still wont recommend a specific scope but, here's one along the line of what I would consider if in your position. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...cope-3-9x-33mm

I would have to say the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. Good usable magnification for the range of the cartridge, 30mm tube, good glass, illuminated reticle, fantastic warranty.

Will the reticle match the ballistics of the 450 BM? No, but with a little experimentation, you can match them up to practical ranges for the cartridge.

With a little shopping around, you should be able to find it under $300.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle

I am a Forum User
    Need a budget before we can make recommendations...

Personally, I hated my strike eagle...bad fish eye at 1x, dark at 6x, green coating on the lenses made it hard to see through in certain lighting conditions. For a hunting rig, I'd want a bigger objective for a larger exit pupil diameter. .

I am a Forum User
    Weaver scopes are fantastic for the money...I have several. Don't know exactly what you're after,but I think a weaver fixed 4x would be perfect for that cartridge on a hunting rig.

I use weaver grand slam steel rings and they are nice and sturdy, but I lap them on every install. They aren't too precise if you don't lap them (i.e. They don't always line up, and don't always have good contact. It's the luck of the draw)

Whole setup should be rock solid and less $$ than you paid for the rifle

Mounted on home built AR 450
    http://www.hawkeoptics.com/endurance...-ler-slug.html

Sight in at 100yd, secondary aim points come out good at 200 and 300yds.

Legal Forum Contributor / Super Moderator Shyster's Avatar
    I wanted a Picatinny rail on my Ruger American. TREMENDOUS pain in the ass to get that Weaver rail off.

As far as a scope, I would second that Vortex 1-6
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners. Any opinion I express on an issue should not be considered legal advice.

For those interested in establishing an NFA or Gun Trust click here. For my contact information click here. Follow me on Twitter @makowskilegal or my website www.makowskilegal.com

I am a Forum User
    I'm puropsely not giving a $ amount, I want honest opinions and real world experience. Which is exactly what im getting.

The top rails are weaver... ok that makes sense.
    I tried a few bases I had lying around and nothing seemed to fit.

Opinions on the bushnell dusk&dawn shotgun scope? I have one mounted on another gun and really like it. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/693...-reticle-matte

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast