Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol` Joe View Post

I've sort of changed my mind. I still wont recommend a specific scope but, here's one along the line of what I would consider if in your position. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...cope-3-9x-33mm
    I think this might be the specific one that randys recommended with the 450.

I am a Forum User
    I can tell you what not to get....

I have a nikon pro staff 3-9x40 and I hate it. It's really really dark and grainy and unforgiving on the eye relief. I've looked through barska's that were really impressive compared to the pro staff

I am a Forum User
    Randy's is a VX2 with a custom turret to dial in specific ranges for the 450. I don't think it has and extra dots and it was not that much. That one linked would be nice, but I plan to run mine set for max point blank of 200. It is hard to get a shot anywhere I hut that is much over 150.

I would pass on the Bushnell Banner. I have one also. I also have a couple similar, but trophy versions, and they are noticeably better than the banner in every way. I had the banner on a 44mag for a while but now it is on one of the kids 22's where it is more useful for small game. It might end up on a turkey gun. It was replaced with a redfield revalution 2-7. Far superior scope and it would work very well on the 450. I have one trophy on my brush slug gun and one on a ML. I don't use either gun as a first string, but the scopes have served me well. My first string slug gun and ML both have Bushnell Legends. They are a very noticeable steps up frome the trophy and the minimum for quality I would want on a true 200 yd. point blank range gun. The 450 can reach out with consistent accuracy. I personally will use a rifle scope and not a shotgun scope for a100 yd parallax vs 75. Also I want more than 4x max.

My son hunted beside me a lot this year. I saw the banner in many conditions with a deer in the X and compared the legend and E1 I have in my 450 to it in gun season. I also compared the trophy to the legend in ML season. Then made the change to the revalution. I already knew the banner fat radical basically covers about a 2" dot at 100 yd. It covers a lot of deer at 200. That is just the fine hair part if you can call it fine.

The revalution is real nice. Lots of eye relief, light, compact and good to the last minute of hunting time. I prefer the locked focus vs fast focus so I am strongly considering the revalution, VX1 or VX2 for the american 450. I prefer more of the bold and smaller amount of fine cross hairs of the VX and legend over the revalution and E1 because it is easier to pick up in real low light in cover on a dark night in those last few minutes. However, the E1 is the hardest to see in very low light and it did fine on a doe tonight at 90 seconds before end of hunt time.
    Last edited by xtrema312; 12-26-2016 at 11:16 PM.

MGO Member
    Just ordered the Leupold vx2 from Randys. They told me it comes with info to tell Leupold and they'll send you a special BDC turret for that scopes marked in yardages up to 300. Just zero in at 100 yards and you are all set.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry219 View Post
    Just ordered the Leupold vx2 from Randys. They told me it comes with info to tell Leupold and they'll send you a special BDC turret for that scopes marked in yardages up to 300. Just zero in at 100 yards and you are all set.
    Sort of, "if" the velocity is correct and bullet weight matches that the turret was designed for. Then you have to figure wind drift. The bushy with a 250 gr bullet drifts over 2 ft at 300 in a 10 mph breeze. Be sure to dbl check your drop by actual shooting at range, and practice to help with judging wind. I have crono'ed a awful lot of loads that fell 100 or more fps from the claimed velocity from a barrel length that matched the one in the data.

Good choice in scope however. I don't think a leupold is ever a bad pick.
    "Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

I am a Forum User
    Ya...bdc's are a fantastic idea but having them match your setup exactly tends to be the exception rather than the rule. Brand doesn't seem to make any difference either.

I like mil dots because you can make them fit your load and even swap loads out on the fly without too much effort

I am a Forum User
    Heres another one I noticed that might work well: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...-reticle-matte

I wonder how a red dot would work on this rifle out to 100. Recoil could be a concern.
    Last edited by HemiChallenger; 12-28-2016 at 07:50 PM.

I am a Forum User
    The Fullfield 2 is a nice scope. I have the E1 version with the floating raticle, but I am thinking of the FF2 for the next one. The E1 3-9 30 mm is on sale at Cabelas for 149 free shipping.

I can't post links yet! Forum User
    Just do it right the first time and get the Leupold VX2 3-9x40mm (or 2-7x33mm) with the CDS turrets. This is what Randy has on his gun and it is what he recommends. It works. It will make shooting the .450 out to 300 yards pretty darn easy with factory Bushmaster loads. $350 and will last you forever and will last the person that gets it after you their lifetime. You can buy custom turrets from Leupold at any time for any caliber/load combo in the future should you want to. The CDS is a great system and nicer than those stupid circles Nikon uses on the BDC.
    Last edited by Yakfisherman; 12-30-2016 at 11:55 PM.

MGO Member
    I put a Leupold Ultimate slam scope on my 450. Started with the leo mark 2 mount and had to switch to the pepr mount to keep the scope from sliding on recoil. If anything the 300 yd shot is slightly high.

My brother liked it so much he bought the same upper, scope and mount. Sighted in at 50 yards, next six shots hit 12" steel at 200 & 300 yards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast