Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

I can't post links yet! Forum User

Inherited firearms

Hello all, I am new to firearm ownership and selling, my father in law recently passed away and left behind a small collection of firearms. I am planning on selling the majority of what is there, I just would like to make sure I am doing everything by the book. I am unfamiliar with Michigan gun laws, I grew up in Illinois where we needed a FOID card in order to own a firearm (I do not have a FOID card). Do I need to have anything like that in Michigan (specifically Gratiot county) to legally own the firearms we inherited? My father in law left everything to my wife in his will, Im assuming we would have to now register these firearms under our names in order to legally sell them? Does anyone here have any experience in matters like this? As I stated before, I want to do everything by the book and I know firearm ownership and selling can be a pretty complicated process, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The collection is also secured inside a pretty hefty safe, Ive contacted a few local locksmiths about getting it open but none could guarantee the safe wouldnt be damaged, could anyone recommend a locksmith near Gratiot county who specialized in safes and can get me some sort of guarantee my safe will be able to be used after we get it open?

MGO Member
    You inherented the guns but not the combination to the safe?

Post guns here. Many people would be interested, including myself.

I can't help any with the safe. If you post the type/brand, someone may weight in.

As far as the firearms go, any long arms would just be turned over to you/your wife.

Only handguns ("pistols" as defined by law) need to be registered.

Your wife would need to go to a LEO office and obtain a purchase permit for each of the pistols (also known as an LTP, License to Purchase or RI-010). These are free, but they do need to be notarized (wife's signature), but you DON'T have to use the LEO to do that, you should be able to get it for free at your bank.

Whomever it is that is responsible for distributing the assets of the estate will sign as the representative of the estate on the "seller" portion of the LTP. Then within 10 days of completing the forms, mail a copy of each back to where you got them from (you have 30 days from when you get the LTPs to when the "seller" signs, then 10 days to turn them back in, you can mail them back or hand deliver them).

Life Member, NRA, Lapeer County Sportsmen's Club Disclaimer: I Am Not A Lawyer. Opinions expressed are not representative of any organization to which I may belong, and are solely mine. Any natural person or legal entity reading this post accepts all responsibility for any actions undertaken by that person or entity, based upon what they perceived was contained in this post, and shall hold harmless this poster, his antecedents, and descendants, in perpetuity.

I am a Forum User
    I'd be really surprised if you find a locksmith that will give you a guarantee that the safe won't be damaged in opening. May want to contact the manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions.

The first thing you should do is get your CPL.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night.

I got an old safe once as an inheritance. Just part of the house.

Was really excited to get to use it. Very old school looking safe. Heavy duty. Just looked fantastic.

But there was no one that could open it the way the do in the movies. Everyone told me over the phone that the age of the safe would probably mean they would have to break it open.

I looked it up online to see if the old school safe cracking thing is even real. Turns out it is, it is just that so few people can/learn to do it. And there are no online videos teaching people. Apparently it is really secretive stuff. Almost no one even teaches it. Real bummer.

Had to cut into it. And I mean, if it wasn't going to open, then what is the point of having it. The guy said he has never met a locksmith that could open a safe by just touch. (So not encouraging for finding one).

If you really care about keeping the safe, there are some guys that will fly out to open the safe. But I think that that is really expensive. Didn't look much into it, because it just seemed like overkill more my particular situation.

I am a Forum User
    Sorry for your loss.

What kind of safe is it? Do you know it's age?

A lot of safes have a master key and some locksmiths can make one rather easily. You may also get one from the manufacture if you can't find it in the safe. If it's a newer safe with a digital dial then it's likely located behind that dial.

Only the pistols need to be transferred to you and then to the seller. All other guns can just be sold outright.

I would be very interested in putting an offer in on some of what you have. I tend to collect more than I should.... lol

Depending on where in Gratiot county you are I'm likely not more than an hour from you. I would love the opportunity to help you price out some of the collection.

I can also recommend someone who buys full or partial collections, including coins.

If interested, send me a PM.

But, he's not a safe cracker. Yes it's real, but is a lost art. Most modern locksmiths will try a bunch of master keys if they have them from the right manufacturer, or someone may try to make/pick a master key to open it that way (if it has a keyed master lock).

I hope you don't have to ruin the safe in order to open it. With some you can drill/cut into the back of it, and reach the lock internals from behind. That way you actually get the combo yourself, too. Youtube it. The safe can then still be used if it is anchored against a wall, and of course you can weld steel back to it, or otherwise try to preserve some semblance of fire rating out of it. Just depends on where it will live, after it gets the gut shot

Oh yeah -

Safes lives matter !!

Quote Originally Posted by epach1983 View Post
    Hello all, I am new to firearm ownership and selling, my father in law recently passed away and left behind a small collection of firearms. I am planning on selling the majority of what is there, I just would like to make sure I am doing everything by the book. I am unfamiliar with Michigan gun laws, I grew up in Illinois where we needed a FOID card in order to own a firearm (I do not have a FOID card). Do I need to have anything like that in Michigan (specifically Gratiot county) to legally own the firearms we inherited? My father in law left everything to my wife in his will, Im assuming we would have to now register these firearms under our names in order to legally sell them? Does anyone here have any experience in matters like this? As I stated before, I want to do everything by the book and I know firearm ownership and selling can be a pretty complicated process, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

The collection is also secured inside a pretty hefty safe, Ive contacted a few local locksmiths about getting it open but none could guarantee the safe wouldnt be damaged, could anyone recommend a locksmith near Gratiot county who specialized in safes and can get me some sort of guarantee my safe will be able to be used after we get it open?
    I went through the same thing a few months ago. I had to fill out a pistol sales form that I got online for each gun and take that, along with a death certificate, to the local PD. Easy and quick.