Welcome to MGO's Internet Discussion Forums…Please Consider Becoming a Dues-Paying Member of the ORG…Click >>>>>HERE<<<<< for more info…………****DONATIONS**** can also be made toward MGO's Legal Defense Fund and/or MGO's Forums >>>>>HERE<<<<<

Firearms Legal Protection

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    This is a blanket exemption for people 21+ that are eligible to possess a firearm. Regardless of whether they currently qualify for a CPL, if they still have their gun rights, they can carry concealed.

They butchered the wording in the CCW law in order to make an exemption for anyone carrying a firearm concealed, or concealed/otherwise in a vehicle, but that law basically doesn't count at all for pistols.
    Background checks for a LTP 20 years ago are not the same as background checks today. Someone that has "legally possessed" a pistol for years and years may come to the rude awakening that they don't qualify based on today's means of digging things up from their past.
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoTom View Post
    Background checks for a LTP 20 years ago are not the same as background checks today. Someone that has "legally possessed" a pistol for years and years may come to the rude awakening that they don't qualify based on today's means of digging things up from their past.
    still, the new wording of the CCW law provides a blanket exception. They won't get a CCW charge for it. It certainly won't mean there might not be other charges (felon in possession), but I feel like people ought to know whether they're a felon.

MGO Board of Directors

Quote Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo View Post
    still, the new wording of the CCW law provides a blanket exception. They won't get a CCW charge for it. It certainly won't mean there might not be other charges (felon in possession), but I feel like people ought to know whether they're a felon.
    I processed thousands of CPL applications/background checks for Wayne County. I'm here to tell you…people applied and had no idea they had felonies on their records, warrants out for their arrest, etc.

Maybe it's just a Wayne County thing?

We see people here asking about past charges…if they will show-up…if they will affect their application eligibility, etc. For every one that bothers to ask…there are numerous individuals that assume they are good to go based on what they were led to believe by the prosecutor and/or their lawyer at the time. Some just have no idea of the difference between a felony, misdemeanor or a civil infraction. Typically, if they apply for a CPL today, they find-out (although I caught a number of instances where felons were granted CPL's before my time).
    Don't let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
    DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, or official policies of Michigan Gun Owners.

I am a Forum User
    I'm good with the anyone 21 years of age or older exception, I'm even good with duty to inform (I'd do it out of courtesy in most cases anyhow), what bugs me is the ability for law enforcement to detain me to check on my legality... if there is no RAS, as is the case now with open carry, the possession alone should not be sufficient to detain. Now if I'm doing something I'm not supposed to, or it's a traffic stop because I'm doing 90 in a 55, well, ok yeah... they're going to run their checks.

I would hope that when this makes it to a committee, they will chip away at the bad parts & add some good stuff before it hits the floor.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS !

LIFE MEMBER OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST FRATERNITY

71 AND COUNTING

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG View Post
    I would hope that when this makes it to a committee, they will chip away at the bad parts & add some good stuff before it hits the floor.
    Name the gun bill that ever got better in committee because they chipped away at the bad parts.

It just doesn't happen that way.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    I'm even good with duty to inform (I'd do it out of courtesy in most cases anyhow)
    I could tolerate a duty to inform (could always fix it later) but, a $500 fine for failing to inform? NO.

I am a Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Caliper View Post
    I could tolerate a duty to inform (could always fix it later) but, a $500 fine for failing to inform? NO.
    Especially if there was no RAS to begin with.... that's just insult to injury.

MGO Member
    I believe some states with constitutional carry (CC) do have a duty to inform clause. I think Alaska is one. I don't like Duty to Inform but If that's what it takes to get CC initially it can always be changed in the future. As for a fine, maybe $25 is appropriate but not $500.

If we were able to get CC passed would be any provisions for still obtaining a CPL in case you wanted to go to another state that requires one?

If so, maybe we could bargain to get the current system scrapped and replaced with a simple endorsement on one's driver's license or state ID. Pay for it like a motorcycle endorsement.

So maybe we bargain for this. Give us CC but allow people who want or need a CPL to get one. They still have to take a class but you simply take the cert to the SOS, they run you and you get an endorsement on your DL or SID. That makes everybody happy, the state, firearms instructors, legislators etc. Maybe take the duty to inform out of the deal if you get a permit. After all if you are in the system they already know you are carrying at least in a traffic stop.

The CPL laws would remain. You would still be able to get a CPL for reciprocity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast